SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Mental Health Issues
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 20th September 2017, 20:54

Mood
Happy

Default With depression, what gets you through the lowest days?

Sometimes out of nowhere my mood will plummet, not even necessarily with any external cause although bad sleep can throw off my mood. Nothing that I usually enjoy (like cinema or music) makes me happy, the only thing that brings me comfort is overeating with takeaways and lying in bed all day trying to sleep it away, and my personal hygiene and self-care goes out the window. Obviously these are not good coping strategies. Thankfully I don't have issues with self-harm or self-medicating, but these episodes cause me a lot of emotional pain and I think my coping mechanisms make them last longer than they need to. I can't take anti-depressants with my illness because they can trigger a manic episode.

What gets you through times like these, if you have this issue? At the moment I just have to ride them out and wait but it gets exhausting. I know I will be OK and the negative thoughts are just depression talking.
Old 21st September 2017, 12:08

Mood
Lonely

Default Re: With depression, what gets you through the lowest days?

Yeah ... i just ride it out .... like you said, kinda at the point and acceptance level now where i know i'm having it ... so i generally believe that they'll pass

Very much feel though that i'm just bobbling along rather than getting better or particularly worse.

My lows aren't as low as some .... i hide my issues too well from everyone around me.
Only recently have i confessed my worst feelings.

Before i'd probably turn to things like food to 'comfort' but i know that doesn't help and i'm trying to lose weight so i cannot do that
Old 21st September 2017, 12:21

Mood
Happy

I do think acceptance helps, sometimes I just get in a bit of a panic and wonder how low the low will get, if that makes sense. Bobbling along sounds all right! People without this illness don't realise how difficult it is and even just getting by can be a victory.

Do you think it would help if there was someone you didn't have to hide your issues from? I think I have a subconscious fear that if I admit to low times people will think I'm a downer and abandon me, so I can keep myself to myself. I am glad for the chatroom though where I can speak a bit more freely.
Old 21st September 2017, 14:28

Back in my darker days, I would use song lyrics to try to lift my mood - I'd write them out and blue-tack them to the walls - as long as I still had the motivation to do that before I slipped too far. When I was at university, the first thing I saw every morning was the lyric to Carole King's "Beautiful" ("you got to get up every morning with a smile on your face and show the world all the love in your heart"). It's corny, but it did seem to help!

It does help to have someone you can open up to - these days, I have people I can talk to about these things and just telling them how I feel makes a massive difference; it's probably the reason why my low moods only last a day or two and no longer develop to complete depression. I'll still have days where I don't wash or eat (because I can't be bothered to cook - I don't keep snack foods in the house because I do tend to gorge on them), but these are single days rather than weeks now. If necessary, someone will come to my house and almost literally drag me to the pub rather than let me wallow in my mood.

It also helps me when others bring their problems to me and stop me from focussing too much on myself; again, now that I have a social circle in which everyone is aware that I have issues of my own, some of them feel able to open up to me and feeling useful can be a great mood lifter.
Old 21st September 2017, 14:57

Mood
Lonely

I feel like my feelings are a bix of a paradox.....

I want to open up to those around me but i really don't want to at the same time...

I did recently have an afternoon long offloading to my parents .... they'd known bits and pieces but had no idea how deep it ran or how much trouble i went to to hide it...
Do i feel better for it? Not really ... i know they understand .... the trouble is that i actually don't know what i want from any of it.

To be inteligent enough to understand what's going on and have a knack in all aspects (all but this) of solving problems and coming up with plans .... to this one (depression and some SA) i have none... i still feel lost with it.

Its infuriating ... its like a puzzle i cannot put together or that when i get a piece in the rest shift / change and i'm back to the start

I'm a very good listener .... i like to be that confidant to people i care about
Old 29th September 2017, 00:28

This was said to me a couple of days ago, ' 'there is a Vietnam woman on television who is a dwarf..she doesn't cry like you do'.
I think I am in a low mood phase (I don't like to cry so if i'm wet it is usually a bad sign). I am exhausted/lost/low..my worst mix.

Podcasts,music (my first and last love),youtube and reading favourite sites are my usual ways of escape. I've tried posting a bit more but it's making me feel alone as people chat around me.

Anyway,I hope everyone on the thread feels better soon
Old 29th September 2017, 01:29

^It's not that people chat around you, Always, it's often that we (or more specifically, I) don't have a relevant or helpful answer to what you've posted. I read your posts with interest, but rarely respond - I am sorry if I've made you feel ignored but a lot of your posts would get my "like" button if there were one.
Old 29th September 2017, 02:30

Mood
Inpain

Hmmm very tricky.. Normally I would eat the wrong foods and sleep , but some how this low mood has kicked off my IBS and is fussy with what I eat ... Plus Iím not eat that much compared to what I used to ... The sleeping in the afternoons doesnít help with my tension headaches ... At the moment I watch shite on tv ..,
Old 29th September 2017, 05:48

Mood
Thinking

Well, I think everyone's experience with mental health is bit different. I cope better today than I did in the past, there were times when I couldn't get out of bed due to depression and I just wanted to die. I think one of the things that helps me is realising that the opinions of others are not fact; try to be as rational as possible and think about things in a more balanced way, keeping in mind that your thoughts are probably skewed towards the negatives. Depression is a real illness, I still find little joy in things, but it's not as if there's nothing to actually feel down about.

How do I cope at my most depressive moments? That is so hard to answer, I think it's a matter of enduring it until the worse is over. It's important to realise that if you're severely depressed to the point where you want to commit suicide and can't do anything, then it's probably a matter of a chemical imbalance; and if you have something like bipolar then you will eventually have a more positive period that will need to be sustained with mood stabilisers. Major depression is a terrible illness.
Old 29th September 2017, 10:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always
This was said to me a couple of days ago, ' 'there is a Vietnam woman on television who is a dwarf..she doesn't cry like you do'.
I think I am in a low mood phase (I don't like to cry so if i'm wet it is usually a bad sign). I am exhausted/lost/low..my worst mix.

Podcasts,music (my first and last love),youtube and reading favourite sites are my usual ways of escape. I've tried posting a bit more but it's making me feel alone as people chat around me.

Anyway,I hope everyone on the thread feels better soon

who said that to you? that doesn't sound very nice or helpful.

I'm also very low at the moment & looking for something to boost me a bit. Opening the curtains/getting dressed would probably be a start but I just keep eating and watching documentaries about horrible people.
Old 29th September 2017, 12:43

I used to be given Fluoxetine to help me through my periods of depression. Despite having a positive effect on my mood once they 'kicked in', my doctor no longer prescribes this to me and hadn't for approximately five or six years, now. At this moment in time I really could do with another course of it but I'm just having to 'muddle through' from one day to the next.

I have to try my best to hide my issues because if I open up (which I've been told to do by several medical professionals), I find myself being harshly judged and criticised Ė hence why I spent lengthy spells of my 20's being as socially reclusive as I could. I'm getting back to that stage where I know I'm beginning to withdraw. I know this shouldn't be happening, but I feel it's the only way I can cope and limit the frustrations I face. I thought that bumping into my former best friend and regaining contact with him (right at the end of 2015) may have been beneficial but sadly this hasn't been the case.

For me, I like to write down my frustrations in the form of weekly blogs which are anything between 1000 and 2500 words long on average. I'll discuss the problem, what I've tried to do in order to get around it and the conclusion. It's something I've been doing for the past 18 months and I will admit, it feels good to get those frustrations off my chest in an environment which I feel is safe (or safer) away from 'regular' people who I know don't and won't understand.

Another way which is a bit of an 'escape' for me is watching music videos on YouTube and livestreams on Twitch. It certainly relaxes me for a few hours, at least. I spend most evenings doing this at the moment.
Old 30th September 2017, 16:14

Mood
Fine

Curious, that your GP wont prescribe you the medication if it helped you before. Ime assuming you didn't have any bad side effects or anything like that? What reason were you given for the refusal?

Whilist Anti -depressants are not for everyone, can be addictive and carry side effects, they've helped you in the past, so your request to be prescribed them again seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Maybe you could try seeing another GP?
Old 30th September 2017, 16:29

Mood
Sunshine

I don't currently suffer with depression, although I have had major downs in recent years due to life events. But anyway, in either case I tend to write rather a lot. I find that in order to run its course naturally it has to be openly felt and acknowledged, even though that is painful. Putting my thoughts and feelings down in a journal allows me to do this. I find it extremely helpful.

Listening to music has always been a help too. It's just another way of being open to feelings and letting them flow naturally so they can disipate and run their natural course.

In the past I have used other methods that were not so positive, but they helped get me through. Things such as alcohol, over-eating and other self-harming strategies.