Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 6th October 2017, 23:43

Mood
Breezy

Default Answering the 'what have you been up2' question

I don't know if anyone finds this question difficult, but when I'm asked it, I always feel a) on the spot and slightly ashamed of not having anything 'interesting' but; b) once I get talking and feel a bit more at ease, I'm able to recall things, I get those 'ah, on Tuesday I did x' moments. When I'm asked initially, my mind just blanks and I can't recall off the top of my head.

Anyone else get this? What are some ways of answering if you can't recall anything on the spur of the moment?
Old 7th October 2017, 09:17

Mood
Paranoid

Default Re: Answering the 'what have you been up2' question

Yep, I get this. I think making a bit of a joke saying "me? What have I been up to? Oh, I NEVER do anything exciting. You know me, boring,boring,boring! " buys me a bit of time to think and then I might be able to recall something of interest - but if I can't, I turn the question back and invariably they have several interesting things that they have done and are happy to recount as many as I am willing to listen to!!! (And then I realise exactly how boring I am and it makes me feel even more inadequate!)
Old 7th October 2017, 12:38

Mood
Bashful

'What have you been up to?' from someone who you haven't seen for about 10 years is always the difficult one.

Take a tip from this exchange from The Simpsons:

Herb: So, Marge, tell me all about yourself.
Marge: Well, I met Homer in high school, we married and had three beautiful children
Herb: Wow, we have so much to catch up on
Marge (quietly): Actually, I pretty much told you everything.
Old 7th October 2017, 22:53

Mood
Insomnious

I joined a cult which was based on the teachings of Fraggle Rock. Even that would be better than saying that I was so afraid of life that I couldn't move.
Old 7th October 2017, 22:59

My mind also goes blank and I can't think of what I've been doing. It's blooming annoying when you get mind blanks when you're being asked simple questions.

It's also one of those questions that sometimes sparks intrusive thoughts like, "Don't say that you've been tickling trout."

So weird!
Old 8th October 2017, 01:34

Mood
Breezy

The main thing is, the answer to such questions tends to come to me when the subjects been changed, when I'm feeling more at ease what I've ben upto comes out.

When you're asked a question such as 'what have you been up2', you feel like you're in the limelight and have to produce brilliant answers and give impressive stories. You know that feeling? That's why it's always such a relief to get off that bloody topic.
Old 8th October 2017, 01:54

Mood
Fiendish

I dread this question. It's usually one of the first things they'll ask meaning I can't come back from my nonexistent life accountability. Conversation just becomes about feeling ashamed and embarrassed from that point on for me.
It shouldn't have to be that way, but in the words of Morgan freeman ' it ain't no fairytale world'.
Old 8th October 2017, 04:43

It's even worse if nobody ever asks - there was a time when I had so little social contact that, no matter how difficult it might be to answer, it was a relief to be asked! When I was, I found that the response "breathing" usually raised a smile.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk