SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 17th May 2018, 12:35

Mood
Blah

Default Do you find your anxiety gets worse with age?

I thought as I got older I would find it easier to deal with my anxiety,but only find it becoming more difficult the older I get.Does anyone else fell the same?
Old 17th May 2018, 12:42

Default Re: Do you find your anxiety gets worse with age?

Hey, no in my case it's the opposite, my anxieties are disappearing, however! I am giving myself another anxiety by focusing on age, I keep mentioning it, and I am driving myself crazy! If I mention age again, please ban me from this forum, I am turning into an annoying age obsessed idiot!
Old 17th May 2018, 12:55

I did, but it peaked when I hit 50 and entered my last agoraphobic episode. I don't know whether it was age, or the realisation that I had a decreasing amount of time left in which to make my life worthwhile, but since the age of 53 my anxiety (despite a few relapses) has been gradually reducing.

Anxiety leads to avoidance and avoidance makes situations appear more daunting; this is probably not the best analogy, but it's been something like 15 years or more since I last played a competitive football match (I was never a regular player, but I'd turn out for pub teams occasionally when they were a player short), so if I were asked to play tomorrow, I would doubt my ability to tackle, pass the ball accurately, shoot with any kind of power and may well find myself declining the opportunity so that I don't embarrass myself or let down my teammates. However, if I wanted to start playing football again, I would have to put myself through that at some point and of course it would become easier if I were to start training and practising beforehand; so it is with the things which make us anxious - it doesn't hurt to practice and prepare before we put ourselves into vulnerable situations, but if we want to do the things which make us anxious, then the only way forward is to start doing them and continue doing them until the anxiety becomes less inhibiting.

I'm approaching three years now since I started exposing myself (pun intended!) on a regular basis and I am not claiming to be anxiety-free, but I do believe that my anxiety is within normal parameters (because everyone experiences some degree of social anxiety), even hiding the most obvious outward signs of autism has become something which is second nature.
Old 17th May 2018, 13:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thousandmiles
Hey, no in my case it's the opposite, my anxieties are disappearing, however! I am giving myself another anxiety by focusing on age, I keep mentioning it, and I am driving myself crazy! If I mention age again, please ban me from this forum, I am turning into an annoying age obsessed idiot!
What is it with you young people and age (says the man who seems to be mentioning his age on nearly all his posts lately!)? Age is a state of mind and nobody is too old to do anything (notwithstanding that our physical capacity for certain things diminishes - I think it may be too late for me to try to make the Olympic athletics team, for instance). For the past three years, I've been using my age as an incentive - I have no idea how long I might remain physically active, so I am trying to do as much as I can of the things I want to do before it's too late, to the extent where people 20 years younger are asking how I manage to do so much.

For all of us (despite the fact that I, personally, am in denial of this), there will come a time when we're unable to do the things we love (in my case, travelling and attending music festivals, among other things) and when that time comes, it will be our memories which sustain us. My advice, therefore, would be to find a way to make those memories (whatever they may be) whilst still physically able to do so.
Old 17th May 2018, 13:21

No. I am 41 and my symptoms of anxiety have decreased considerably over the last decade. My problems with social interaction haven't changed but I don't really care so much anymore. I think this is probably something to do with having an increased sense of security. I wouldn't like to imagine that the process is irreversible.
Old 17th May 2018, 15:09

Mood
Veggedout

^ pretty much the same. As I get older I care less about trying to 'resolve' the anxiety and just admit defeat and accept that social interaction is always going to be difficult and if it happens that I am proved wrong even better.
Old 17th May 2018, 16:37

Getting older is a proven and valuable tool in reducing your SA, and when you get so old that you die you no longer have it at all.

My advice to the younger SAers on here - get old!
Old 17th May 2018, 19:47

Anxiety for certain situations, things like support groups where there is a facilitator or host, has got a bit easier with age. Some other situations like parties or dating don't seem likely in this lifetime but I am accepting that a bit more and beating myself up a bit less.
Old 18th May 2018, 15:01

Lots of things have got easier - or maybe it's just that I care less than I did 20 years ago - but things like parties and doing courses are still more or less as tough as they ever were.