SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Welcome & Introductions Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 3rd January 2018, 08:51

Default Mornin'.. Hello from anewyear

Hi

Joined yesterday so thought I'd do a quick introduction

I'm a mid forties dad who up until a few weeks ago thought that I was alone in struggling with some social situations. Found this forum and hey, I'm not..!

Similar to others it's the way I've been since as long as I can remember, e.g. walking round the playground on my lonesome whilst others were playing, being at uni and eating my lunch in the car when others were together etc. I like to think I'm pleasant enough lol, my problem really is relaxing enough to have the confidence in myself. I reckon this is a learnt behaviour as much as anything - my parents were always very uptight whereas we've made sure that our son (only child) gets loads of experiences that neither myself nor my wife had growing up and this shows in his increased confidence.

Anyway, hope you're all good this morning. Personally I had a good Christmas / New Year from an S-A perspective and so I'm hoping it's gonna carry on into 2018. Having said that the reality of going back to work yesterday has quickly torpedoed my mood so.. yeah... The fact I'm off to a work meeting tomorrow to represent my boss, then a tricky work presentation the day after doesn't exactly instil me with longing for the next couple of days either!
Old 4th January 2018, 17:28

Default Re: Mornin'.. Hello from anewyear

Thanks Leali
Old 5th January 2018, 13:49

Default Re: Mornin'.. Hello from anewyear

Thanks Change87

My work has changed a lot over the last 5-8 years. Originally I was in an IT technical role, knew my stuff well and was relatively ok at presenting to a small group of 5-6 people if I knew them.

Then a number of things happened:-
Our day-to-day work was outsourced overseas
We started supplying our customers with products created and housed in Germany, not the UK
A number of people were made redundant to accommodate the changes

What this meant was that, for those remaining, we were expected to perform more sales like work rather than technical troubleshooting work. Coupled with this the new products were not something that we were familiar with on a day-to-day basis as we now had limited access.

So now I'm in a situation where I need to be comfortable talking about things I don't fully understand, to unknown people :eek purple

What I'd like to do is move back to something more akin to my previous role. However that doesn't exist in this company any more and, if I were to look elsewhere I'd have problems due to now feeling deskilled, plus a huge dislike of doing job interviews or anything where I'm "on the spot".

What's the situation with you?