SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 19th February 2018, 01:26

Mood
Crappy

Default What are you living for

I have noticed some people in their 20s and 30s that dont go to school, dont have jobs and live with their parents. Or even my coworkers I look at them and it seems like they just go day by day and never ponder the deeper things of life.

Most of them believe that they will die regardless of the life they live and go to heaven. They dont even research religion to see if what they believe in is true.

I have researched mainstream Christianity and atheism and dont agree with either but I do have a religion. It just makes me sad seeing people go day by day at work. But I think it could just be me feeling ultra depressed tonight.
Old 19th February 2018, 09:45

Mood
Tired

Default Re: What are you living for

pondering the deeper things of life can be counter-productive I've found,
over the years I've contemplated almost everything imaginable in regards to self, death, the cosmos, life, love,.. anything and everything,
funny things is though, nothing really sinks in unless you live it,
so I think contemplation can be something you can get nowhere with.
it's easy to think about stuff, but no matter how deep the subject, it's still only as deep as thought itself goes, and therein lies the main issue,
thought itself is eventually seen as the problem, the thing stopping you from living fully,
thought is always one step behind reality,
thought isn't new or real, it's always old, used, repetitive and reactive.

you can lose decades on this stuff,. that's the danger,.. I've looked into myself as hard as I could and found nothing,. or no one.. it's a kind of odd conundrum.

so,. maybe these people, apparently living superficially are actually really living, and someone contemplating their naval endlessly is only fooling themselves? - it's an odd catch 22 situation.
Old 19th February 2018, 11:29

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco Da Gama
over the years I've contemplated almost everything imaginable in regards to self, death, the cosmos, life, love,.. anything and everything,
it's easy to think about stuff, but no matter how deep the subject, it's still only as deep as thought itself goes, and therein lies the main issue,
thought itself is eventually seen as the problem, the thing stopping you from living fully,

you can lose decades on this stuff,. that's the danger,.. I've looked into myself as hard as I could and found nothing,. or no one.. it's a kind of odd conundrum.

so,. maybe these people, apparently living superficially are actually really living, and someone contemplating their naval endlessly is only fooling themselves? - it's an odd catch 22 situation.

agreed, it took me a long time to acknowledge that overthinking was a reality. it seemed like a copout, but really, sitting and endlessly philosophising about life is the copout, its like the opposite of actually living, participating in things, getting things done, spending time with people etc. plenty of great thinkers and geniuses have just went mad or met some preposterous end and i'm quite keen to believe that they just went too far inside themselves to manage to be a part of the world anymore, or, if you prefer, they just disappeared up their own arsehole.
Old 19th February 2018, 16:30

Mood
Crappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Hodge
agreed, it took me a long time to acknowledge that overthinking was a reality. it seemed like a copout, but really, sitting and endlessly philosophising about life is the copout, its like the opposite of actually living, participating in things, getting things done, spending time with people etc. plenty of great thinkers and geniuses have just went mad or met some preposterous end and i'm quite keen to believe that they just went too far inside themselves to manage to be a part of the world anymore, or, if you prefer, they just disappeared up their own arsehole.
I think I go mad at night. Its like I turn completely different and depressed and end up making weird threads like these.
Old 19th February 2018, 17:58

Mood
Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco Da Gama
Maybe you found it counter-productive because, for you at least, it wasn't the way to 'living fully' - perhaps you should have been doing something else instead?

I'd also say that contemplation doesn't necessarily need to be getting someone somewhere either - some people probably do it for enjoyment; like someone else might enjoy reading, or another person singing, or someone else watching movies. I guess that's what makes people interesting; the fact that we're all unique.

Quote:
I agree that thought is limited, and that reality (if that's what you're looking for) lies beyond the mind's capabilities to comprehend. But there's a double edged sword here, because it also means that thought has no way of knowing whether or not you are living life fully either! So how would anyone know? For example, someone might sit in silent meditation for 8 hours a day. To another person observing, that might seem like a complete waste of time, but to the one meditating, they might see it as living life to the full. Who's to judge?

Quote:
you can lose decades on this stuff,. that's the danger,
No, I'd say nothing can be lost at all. Life is happening on its own - it doesn't need our help, our decisions or our control to function - and everything is included within it. It was here before we humans were, and it will still be here long after we're gone! But of course, the human ego naturally over-estimates its own importance in life - that is actually the biggest problem here - the problems we create for ourselves.

Quote:
.. I've looked into myself as hard as I could and found nothing,. or no one.. it's a kind of odd conundrum.
So what do you take that to mean? What conclusion do you draw from that experience?

Quote:
As I said, it simplifies things greatly when you realise that life just happens on its own, and nobody is in control of it. So the people 'living superficially' are doing that because that is what they have to do (at least for now). Just as the great thinkers in history were simply doing what they had to do in life. Same as the famous artists, musicians, inventors, sports stars etc etc. Just as in the natural world, sparrows sparrow, weasels weasel, badgers badger, butterflies butterfly. Everything - and everyone - has their own unique little role to play in this mysterious production we call Life. Isn't it wonderful?
Old 19th February 2018, 18:51

Mood
Shoveit

Boobs and chocolate. Maybe togther...boy can dream right?
Old 19th February 2018, 20:36

"The unexamined life is not worth living" (attributed to Socrates).
Old 19th February 2018, 21:04

I live for the day I summon up the courage to throw bagels from my window at passers by. To be known as bagel boy and have people shudder as they walk pass my window, scared they're gonna get pelted. That's what I'm living for and anything worth living for is certainly worth living for.
Old 19th February 2018, 21:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd90
I live for the day I summon up the courage to throw bagels from my window at passers by. To be known as bagel boy and have people shudder as they walk pass my window, scared they're gonna get pelted. That's what I'm living for and anything worth living for is certainly worth living for.
Exactly, and if that works out okay you could branch out into celery and soft fruit, and maybe the occasional Malteser.
Old 20th February 2018, 00:34

I guess my humorous answer would be chocolate.

Disclaimer: Chess&Junkfood***8217;s humour is subjective, and takes no responsibility for, and will not be liable for, anyone who does not find his posts humorous

Although on reflection, maybe I really do live for the cocoa bean. After all, it***8217;s quite a bean, especially when you compare it to the other beans, like the Heinz bean. Although without the Heinz tomato sauce that bean really is nothing, nothing I tell ya! In fact, that baked bean has been riding the coattails of Heinz tomato sauce for far too long!

I***8217;m sorry, even I didn***8217;t realise how passionate I was about Heinz beans.

So back to the question of what am I living for? I guess I live for the unknown. Like the unknown Mount Everest climb I might achieve one day or even the unknown food poising I might experience from eating at a really cheap restaurant. After all, these unknown experiences help to shape our journey in life. Although the last food poising I had was from a dodgy vindaloo and that was quite a journey. I remember it was coming out of me at both ends. But again, it***8217;s all part of life***8217;s journey.
Old 20th February 2018, 15:04

Mood
Nerdy

^ I agree, the Branston bean is far superior to all the other puny beans
Old 20th February 2018, 16:18

The Branston bean is better than the Heinz bean? I***8217;m speechless! Or is that typeless? Although you are a fellow whimsian and I respect your opinion on these matters. I will even purchase a tin of Branston baked beans in your honour. Although Branston baked beans make me very gaseous, I will still endeavour to honour you with a tin of Branston beans. Oh and I will also be sure to honour Sphinx's appreciation as well. I might have to buy a large tin to honour both of you, but it***8217;s the least I can do.
Old 20th February 2018, 17:28

Well honestly, to a certain extent I envy people who can enjoy the simple things in life with seemingly no direction. I think people create their own purpose in life, to the depressed mind it seems pointless, but to the normal mind its an adventure. To the depressed mind you can't help but you see things more negatively, but a sane/normal mind will have a slightly inflated sense of self importance imo. You want to get to the normal state of mind because then you can appreciate the small things in life.

I have experienced a lot of pain, but I also know that life can be truly great as well -- and its other people that can make it so. I personally feel motivated by making a positive difference through my work. You need to ask yourself the question: To what extent am I just depressed? When you are not depressed (even in your situation) you have a lot more resilience and a thicker skin because you take your own point of view (which would be more positive) over the critics. I know when I'm not depressed I can laugh a whole lot more, and this is the only way I can really bond with normal people. Life can simply feel good, it's like an experience that we are blessed to be a part of in a way -- even if you experience depression/anxiety. The problem could be toxic people in your life and a bad upbringing maybe?

Some people can laugh at stupid things, go and see a movie, eat pizza, fall in love, have sex, and that's their purpose -- to enjoy all that life has to offer -- others might want to build an aeroplane, solve a complex math problem or otherwise contribute to society in some way. Maybe someone is depressed and lives at home but still has friends they enjoy, or is involved with charity work that they care about.

The point is when you are depressed life seems meaningless as this is a symptom of the illness, maybe even with happy people you might think, well what is the point anyway? This is the depressed mind speaking.
Old 20th February 2018, 17:39

I haven't the foggiest.
Old 21st February 2018, 10:49

Mood
Mellow

I'm 30 and still have no idea what I'm doing tbh. I'm a temp right now, I have next to no money and I don't own anything apart from essential items, no home no car no pets.

I'm happiest when I'm learning and when I'm on holiday/travelling/visiting new places. so if that's all I do til I'm dead then so be it! I dont like working but that's cos I've never had a long term job that I've enjoyed and been comfortable in, anxiety and depression have taken over any opportunities for work and replaced them with fear and revulsion. I hope I get into the field that I'm studying but then that's a challenge in its own.
Old 21st February 2018, 12:55

Sensual pleasure.
Old 21st February 2018, 17:14

I'm turning 43 in a month and I still have no idea why I'm here.
Old 21st February 2018, 17:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomen
I have noticed some people in their 20s and 30s that dont go to school
I thought most people left school latest aged 18
Old 21st February 2018, 17:43

I heard something on Neighbours about three months ago, which really resonated with me (you know, with Australian soaps being so philosophical!), which was that "every experience is a gift from the universe" - and that's what I'm living for, the next experience; it may be an opportunity to help someone, it may be meeting new people in new places, it may be experiencing the world's natural wonders, it may be a conversation with a stranger, it may be tasting new food, laughing out loud at a funny joke or situation, seeing a butterfly... it could be anything.

I do feel as if I have a purpose and I feel that the world is (marginally) better for my presence, but at the same time I'm just living in the moment (with as much forward planning as is necessary).
Old 22nd February 2018, 17:10

Mood
Balanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey123
I thought most people left school latest aged 18
I assume Gomen is American. It's common for Americans to refer to university as school.
Old 22nd February 2018, 19:03

Mood
Alienated

No idea

but the alternative isnt so great
Old 23rd February 2018, 00:32

Tbh I love my hobbies watching wrestling reading about all sorts and everything the TV programmes I watch that's never been the problem. In that sense I LOVE life.
Old 23rd February 2018, 00:38

Anxiety depression insomnia now that sucks and when that destroys your enjoyment of hobbies that's the cruelest punishment
Old 23rd February 2018, 00:58

Just reading a great book Susie dent modern tribes
Old 23rd February 2018, 08:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undecided
I assume Gomen is American. It's common for Americans to refer to university as school.
I know. I was just pulling his leg
Old 24th February 2018, 13:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miggs The Terrible
Boobs and chocolate. Maybe togther...boy can dream right?
Miggs, last time I checked you were not an American high school student!
Old 24th February 2018, 13:14

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miggs The Terrible
Boobs and chocolate.

Chocolate is all I've managed so far though
Old 24th February 2018, 13:15

Mood
Relaxed

I've licked chocolate off boobs before, it's overrated, took like 30mins.
Old 25th February 2018, 01:06

Because there's no easy way out.

If there were, I'm fairly certain I'd take it. Not because I'm especially depressed, but because the sum of sorrow, dissatisfaction and pain that seems part and parcel of living isn't outweighed by the good stuff for me, and I don't think that's going to change. Opting out would only be logical.

In absence of that option, I am thankful for nice people, Pepsi Max, food, bright days, hot showers, books and my right hand. I'm not living for them, though.
Old 25th February 2018, 08:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmosby
I've licked chocolate off boobs before, it's overrated, took like 30mins.
She must of had more than a handful lol.