SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 15th August 2017, 10:20

Mood
Crappy

Default Dropping out of masters

Hi there. For the last year I have been studying my masters degree in MSc Sustainability after graduating with a degree in geography beforehand. I have got some good scores (A's and B's) and have done better than I thought I would.

This summer we were supposed to be doing our dissertations. Mines was on hydrogen cars in the UK. I picked up two part time jobs and was plodding away at it. However, my anxiety and depression has been quite bad these holidays and I have been taking panic attacks and had very very low mood/energy. Subsequently I went back on sertraline and began taking propanalol to ease my panic attacks. On top of this I have been seeing a counsellor.

My mood has improved slightly but I am now so far behind on my dissertation. I have 2 and a half weeks left but have no idea what I am doing. I've always been lucky that my mental health has not got in the way of my studying until now.

Currently I am only getting around 3 hours of sleep per night and feel rotten. I want to speak to my dissertation supervisor but Im scared he will be angry at me for being so far behind. Especially since I have been working so much.

I know its my own fault I am in this position but I'm not sure what to do. I feel that whatever I hand in is gonna fail anyways
Old 15th August 2017, 11:37

Default Re: Dropping out of masters

I think he is likely to be supportive if you explain that you've had a psychological turn for the worse recently. The sooner you can inform him, the better.

Good luck and I hope things work out.
Old 15th August 2017, 11:43
Banned at own request

This reminds me of my uni days, a while back now. I dropped badly behind and I didn't have the emotional insight or courage to talk to professors about it, or I suspected they wouldn't understand. I had a reputation for laziness, and lack of discipline and I thought every one assumed I was partying and not focusing on my studies. Nothing could have been further form the truth, I was severely socially anxious and barely went to a party in my 4 years study. If I had, perhaps I would have felt more happy and confident and my marks would have been better.

Anyway, back to you, my advice would be not to hide away like I did and you should instead take the risk of talking about your problems and concerns, and also try to balance fun with work, as you will probably find you sleep better. I know it's not easy with uni stresses and deadlines, but quality of life, friendships, good times etc are important for mental well-being which will of course help your studies.
Old 15th August 2017, 11:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxsutawney Phil
I was severely socially anxious and barely went to a party in my 4 years study.
Can totally relate to this. I had zero fun during my uni years (seems SOOO long ago now) - I just stayed in my room and worked.

I also took a year out during my Master's and then went back and completed it. My official diagnosis was M.E./yuppie flu, but looking back it had more to do with my anxieties.
Old 15th August 2017, 13:54

You need to talk to them, you have a valid reason for getting behind. Once you have spoken to them you will feel much better and then you can focus on making a plan to get the work done (voice of experience here!).

You can get it done, just focus on having something to hand in, not whether it is what you would have liked to hand in. don't depend the time you have thinking about what you can't do, focus on what you can do. Speak to your supervisor, and when you know what extra time you have, plan how much you can do each day in the time you have.

Just try and ignore the anxiety telling you you can't do it, it won't be good enough. You will feel better slogging on with it and handing something in, than you will ignoring it and missing the deadline. ( And plan something you will do/have to celebrate when it handed in!)

Good luck, I know exactly how you're feeling, as I said voice of experience. It sucks, but you CAN do it!
Old 15th August 2017, 13:56

Sorry just read back your post and you didn't say how much you had to do/ if you'd done much already. Speak to your supervisor and if you really haven't got enough done to complete it you might be able to defer or something. Please just speak to them asap, and find out what your options are. Don't let the deadline slip by. Good luck!
Old 15th August 2017, 14:54

^ This. The worst they can say is that they can't provide you with any extra help or allowances, but I think that's quite unlikely - especially given that you've clearly put the effort in and got good grades previously. If you don't feel comfortable talking to anyone about it directly, maybe just start with a quick email explaining your situation and take it from there (I think that's what I'd do). Ultimately, universities want students to do well and will provide you with help if they can give it.

Hope you manage to get things sorted.
Old 16th August 2017, 00:21

Mood
Balanced

You have put too much into this to just throw it all away, speak to your dissertation supervisor tomorrow, and take whatever he says on the chin, it won't kill you. knuckle down and get on with your study's.
Just remember your anxiety's and depression will keep on taking from you until there is nothing left. Don't give in to it.