Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 17th March 2020, 18:48
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Default Re: Type what you're thinking about right now (11)

Well apparently I need an engineer to run some tests. Will be with me within 2 working days. Wonder if that will happen...
Old 17th March 2020, 23:41

Wondering if this working from home business, will make it more difficult when I have to go back to work.
Old 18th March 2020, 00:10
Global Moderator

Mood
Scared

I honestly don't know what to think right now, the world has gone mad, I'm desperately hoping I will wake up in a minute and it's all just been a bad dream.
Old 18th March 2020, 00:24

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermannHesse
Nice to know that the NHS is cancelling all non urgent surgeries to free up 30,000 beds. Cases of corona virus in the UK so far? A measly 2,000 - most of which, it seems, didn't require any medical attention.

Corona virus is in danger on becoming one of those things where the "treatment" ends up worse than the "disease".
But cases are increasing rapidly every day and since they're not testing a lot of people they don't have any idea of the real numbers. Probably better to be prepared for the worst I would say.
Old 18th March 2020, 00:31

Quote:
Nice to know that the NHS is cancelling all non urgent surgeries to free up 30,000 beds. Cases of corona virus in the UK so far? A measly 2,000 - most of which, it seems, didn't require any medical attention.

Corona virus is in danger on becoming one of those things where the "treatment" ends up worse than the "disease".
I do wonder if this is being overblown. The death rate outside Italy is generally pretty low. In Germany, for example, I think it’s only around 1 or 2%. And the death rate here still seems very low. I don’t want to tempt fate, and god knows I am no scientist, but the vast majority of people recover, and many suffer nothing more than a cold. Those who die almost always seem to be people who were already very old, or very ill, or both. In other words, people who were going to die soon anyway. I suspect the economic meltdown is going to cause far more suffering than the disease itself.
Old 18th March 2020, 00:36

Mood
Cynical

^ I don't think most people who have diabetes or asthma would be classed as 'going to die soon anyway'! And even when someone in their eighties gets this and has to go to hospital do their families want them to die alone in isolation, possibly in pain, no I don't think so. It must be so scary for anyone with a health condition or who is older right now.
Old 18th March 2020, 01:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella
^ I don't think most people who have diabetes or asthma would be classed as 'going to die soon anyway'! And even when someone in their eighties gets this and has to go to hospital do their families want them to die alone in isolation, possibly in pain, no I don't think so. It must be so scary for anyone with a health condition or who is older right now.
But have diabetics, or people with mild to moderate asthma, been dying? It doesn’t seem that way. In Germany, there are nearly 10,000 cases, but only 26 people have died. The experts do seem worried, and obviously they know far more than me, but Italy increasingly looks like an unusual case. Still, I guess we are only at the beginning.
Old 18th March 2020, 06:36

^^ What do you mean that the treatment would be worse than the disease.
Old 18th March 2020, 07:18

Quote:

Most people being tested now are those in hospital - people in intensive care or with respiratory problems - meaning those who require medical attention. Others showing symptoms who don't require medical attention aren't being tested and are instead encouraged to stay at home until they feel better.

Would it be better not to cancel non-urgent surgeries so that when urgent cases arrive there's no capacity for them?
Old 18th March 2020, 11:01

There must be a danger that the measures taken to combat the spread of COVID-19 are going to devastate the economy with many small businesses going under and people’s livelihoods ruined.

It seems the virus is really only dangerous to the immunocompromised. Sometimes drastic times call for drastic measures, and I wonder if, in the absence of an effective vaccine (who really knows how long that will take to develop), a controlled and concerted deliberate infection of healthy individuals (carefully assessed and depending on circumstances, etc) would quickly re-mobilise an immune workforce to support the vulnerable, possibly help towards herd immunity, and also keep the economy ticking over, rather than going into shutdown over a prolonged period with no guarantee the virus will just disappear. I realise it wouldn’t be a straightforward measure to bring about for all sorts of reasons, but could it be an option? Probably not….
Old 18th March 2020, 11:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutedsoul
For some that recover I’m hearing that they end up with damaged lungs.
If true, that IS scary!
Old 18th March 2020, 12:55

Quote:
How do we know whether or not we have hidden health problems though. Are we all as healthy as we think we are?
I think it would be almost impossible to be unaware of being in one of the many high-risk groups: people who have received organ transplants and are taking immunosuppressive medication, cancer patients undergoing chemo or radiotherapy, people undergoing treatment for HIV and AIDS, people with leukemia, rheumatoid arthritis, MS, IBS, severe asthma, diabetes or cystic fibrosis, pregnant women, those over 70, people on kidney dialysis.

If you're walking around in overall good health then you're almost certainly fine.
Old 18th March 2020, 13:14

Quote:
For most it's just like a flu though which is good.
Exactly. Try to keep this in mind and avoid getting carried away with reading scare stories or becoming paranoid about things, otherwise it's like seeing a few testimonials from lottery winners and starting to plan what you're going to spend your money on.
Old 18th March 2020, 15:21

My mum’s cousin said someone near her has been diagnosed. The person who caught it said it’s really not nice. This is just down the road from me. I don’t know for sure if this person really has got it (they might just be an attention-seeker with a cold). Still, it’s scary.

Went out this morning and everyone is just carrying on as normal. I didn’t see a single person with a mask, and my local store looked averagely busy. Some people have gone into shutdown, others seem to be carrying on as though nothing has happened.
Old 18th March 2020, 15:59

Have you informed the WHO of your findings? They might find it helpful.
Old 18th March 2020, 16:02

Mood
Cynical

^

There is a confirmed case at a school where I live, so lots of people who will have potentially have had contact with that person. It's getting closer.
Old 18th March 2020, 16:47

Mood
Lurking

I have been sent home from work today at Lunch time as my brother who I live with has had a cough, which was really bad last Tues/Wed, but hasn't gone away completely, phoned Doctors to see about it, who told him to ring 111, they told him he had to isolate himself for another 7 days, and because I live with him I have to isolate for 14 days.

We both work for the same people, so when he informed his boss what 111 had said, they informed the middle managers who informed my boss that I had to go straight home in the middle of my Lunch.

I think I had Covid19 back at the beginning of February, because I had most of the symptoms, but I just put it down to a cold/flu. But I've found that it keeps coming back it reoccured 3 times in a 5 week period. Now I seem to be ok.
Old 18th March 2020, 18:09

Gulp...a case has just been confirmed in a village near me. The man had been skiing in Italy.
Old 18th March 2020, 18:14

Mood
Cynical

^ I never knew so many people went skiing in Italy.
Old 18th March 2020, 18:28

Quote:
How do we know whether or not we have hidden health problems though. Are we all as healthy as we think we are?
I had in mind screening under medical supervision for suitable healthy people.
Old 18th March 2020, 19:07

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moksha
But have diabetics, or people with mild to moderate asthma, been dying? It doesn’t seem that way. In Germany, there are nearly 10,000 cases, but only 26 people have died. The experts do seem worried, and obviously they know far more than me, but Italy increasingly looks like an unusual case. Still, I guess we are only at the beginning.
The main reason why italy is having so many fatalities, is because it has the 2nd oldest (and thus vulnerable) population in the world. Its mostly demographics in their case Ime afraid.
Old 18th March 2020, 19:33

Mood
Fine

Quote:
My mum’s cousin said someone near her has been diagnosed. The person who caught it said it’s really not nice. This is just down the road from me. I don’t know for sure if this person really has got it (they might just be an attention-seeker with a cold). Still, it’s scary.

Went out this morning and everyone is just carrying on as normal. I didn’t see a single person with a mask, and my local store looked averagely busy. Some people have gone into shutdown, others seem to be carrying on as though nothing has happened.
Where I live (Aberdeen) there is probably about a 50-70% reduction of people on the streets. There is probably a similar reduction in the numbers of people in Pubs/Cafes/shops etc. Some of these Places are starting to close down.

The main Central library has barely anyone it (compared to normal). Maybe 90% less than average.

There is a major reduction of "Old People" to be seen anywhere. Id guess 80 % less than usual.

Personally Ime carrying on normally, but keeping my eye on developments (Ime 51 and in good physical health).

I do think its likely (sometime in the next 14 days) that a full Social Shutdown will happen i.e. all pubs/cafes non essential shops etc being closed down. I think the government is trying to avoid that for as long as possible, but that it will happen soon.

I hope that this country does not follow the example of China/France/Italy etc and enact Hyper draconian Outdoor movement Restrictions. There are no real medical benefits to be gained from such levels of Restriction. Humans are not (mentally or physically) designed to withstand these sort of indoor confinements and imposing such measures, will almost certainly cause far more harm than good, long term.

I fear though, that Political, Media and Public Panic may well result in such a situation here too
Old 18th March 2020, 20:01

Mood
Fine

Quote:
If true, that IS scary!
RE Lung Damage : There have been some reports about this (I think from China)

There may well be some truth in this BUT it may well only be a small fraction of people who suffer this effect.

Not enough info really to come to any conclusion on this one, at the moment.
Old 18th March 2020, 20:03

Mood
Alienated

The traffic round here is starting to look like its half term.

When the schools close next week, damn I'll probably be able to drive down the wrong side of the road

I don't want to get on the moron bandwagon but for some of us who haven't been stockpiling (because we foolishly thought people weren't so stupid to keep doing this) its actually getting quite difficult to acquire various items! The shops are closing left right and centre, can't get a food shop delivered for 2-3 weeks, even if I could get one..most of it going to be cancelled

Wonder what my chances are with amazon pantry...

I'd feel a lot less stressed about this if I didn't live with 2 people right up there in the bloody high risk list for one reason or another.
Old 18th March 2020, 20:14

Mood
Fine

Quote:
It's cause for some people it leads to pneumonia.
Yes, thats true of many people who end up with the most serious effects.
Old 18th March 2020, 20:19

Mood
Alienated

Now I'm annoyed

My little fallback Asian supermarkets where I stockpile noodles for lunch or when I'm bored shitless of things like chips..currently not taking orders! Amazon pantry, nothing seems to work in the damn search. This time next week I'm gonna be eating my leg if they don't get on top of it
Old 18th March 2020, 21:16

Now I don't want people to think that I am a HH Horse Whisperer. Yes, it is true that I have offered him a cube of sugar once in a while. But my interpretation of HH's coronavirus posts is that he is trying to limit the anxiety on the forum.

That being said. I am also a fan of Jen's posts. So here's the thing Jen. I still want to give HH his cube of sugar. Maybe even scratch behind his ear once in a while. Like you do But I still wanted you to know that I think you're great as well. Although by saying all of that, it's entirely possible that HH will bolt from the stables if he reads this post.
Old 18th March 2020, 21:39

^ Lovely little post, there
Old 19th March 2020, 00:18

Mood
Cynical

^^ You sir are a delight on the forum.
Old 19th March 2020, 03:01

^ Isn't he just chess&junkfood is a ray of sunshine on an otherwise cloudy day