Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 19th August 2009, 09:48

Mood
Bookworm

Default Doctor Who

Who has been the best Doctor? I think Christopher Eccleston was pretty good. Did he leave due to exhaustion?

Cx
Old 19th August 2009, 09:59

Default Re: Doctor Who

I love Dr. Who! I kind of watched them back to front so I watched more with David Tennant in first, at first he seemed like an irritating boy but his character really grew on me and I really liked him. I have seen Christopher Eccleston ones now too but out of the two I prefer Tennant though both characters did grow on me. I wonder what the new Dr. Who will be like?!
Old 19th August 2009, 10:04

There can only be one: Tom Baker.
Old 19th August 2009, 10:52

Mood
Brooding

Eccleston from the new series, although there were certainly elements of children's panto-ness in his series too (slitheen, anyone?)

They say your favourite doctor's the one you grew up watching - well the earliest Who story I remember watching was The Green Death, and I quite like Pertwee, so I guesss that holds true for me.

I used to think that the new series' tendency towards stupidity and over-simplistic plot resolution was due to time constraints, but considering that every single finale and christmas special has been utter crap, I guess I'll have to revise that theory.

Utopia/The Sound of Drums was set to break this pattern, then they went and gave the Doctor The Power Of Love and ruin it. Such a shame.

I'm a fan of the audiobooks though. The extra runtime really helps, and The Story Of Martha almost (almost) managed to elevate the character above the status of drooling imbecile in my opinion. It also does a good job with Colin Baker's doctor, and the stories tend to be of a higher quality than the TV episodes. Shame they'll never be able to get Eccleston to do them.
Old 20th August 2009, 16:04

Mood
Bookworm

Jon Pertwee. No one else comes close.

Chris.
Old 20th August 2009, 16:20

My rankings:

1. Baker, T. King of Doctors.
2. Troughton. Crazy imp guy.
3. Pertwee. Gummidge-faced dandy.
4. Eccleston. 'Ey Oop Davros.
5. Tennant. Boggle-eyed and hyperactive but OK.
6. Davidson. He sang Button Moon too.
7. Hartnell. Old and smelt of wee.
8. McGann. "Hello I'm the Doc-" oh shit, end of movie.
9. Smith. Get back into your nappy boy.
10. McCoy, S. Caused 16 year TV hiatus. Irritating and weasly.
11. Baker, C. Pizza-suited grumpy nobhead. Should have been executed in Trial of a Timelord.
Old 20th August 2009, 18:41

I think Tennant seemed to have another dimension to his character despite being like a boy high on E numbers. Christopher Eccleston seemed fairly one-dimensional to me. A lot of women seem to find him attractive but I don't get it overly. Waits for the bricks... I think it is good how some can be more 'serious' and some silly. Maybe the Slitheen is pushing it just a bit..
Old 20th August 2009, 19:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpy
My rankings:

10. McCoy, S. Caused 16 year TV hiatus. Irritating and weasly.
11. Baker, C. Pizza-suited grumpy nobhead. Should have been executed in Trial of a Timelord.
Lol. Could never stand Colin Baker as a doctor.

I'm not quite sure why people hate McCoy as a doctor so much. I didn't think he was that bad.
Old 20th August 2009, 21:00

Mood
Brooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbied84
I agree with you Charax some of the audios are better than the TV episodes... what ones do you like? I like Chimes of Midnight.
a lot of the 8th Doctor ones are great. we really didn't get to see enough of them. I've heard so many that I can't really pick out ones that I prefer by name, but a lot of the Dalek ones are great, and as I mentioned the Colin Baker ones go a long way to redeeming the TV performance.

There's one where Adric comes back which was quite awesome.
Old 21st August 2009, 07:34
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charax
They say your favourite doctor's the one you grew up watching - well the earliest Who story I remember watching was The Green Death, and I quite like Pertwee, so I guesss that holds true for me.
That was about the time I started watching it. My first adventure was the omnibus repeat of The Sea Devils.

Best dr ever was Tom Baker. About a year ago I started watching all episodes from 1963 onwards in order, and am up to season 4 of nu Who at the moment. I like them all, but Hartnell is way way better than you would imagine, if you haven't seen him. He can do tender, and also stern - in an episode of the Dalek Master Plan he blows Nick Courtney off the screen!

Regarding nu Who, I've gone from absolute horror to mild acceptance. Hopefully the new producer will take out the romcom and the soap, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 21st August 2009, 21:24

Mood
Alienated

The first story I can remember was Planet of the Spiders so I grew up watching Tom Baker and so he's probably my favourite.

I like Patrick Troughton a lot. Sylvester McCoy wasn't as bad as most people say - a few of his last stories were quite good.

I've never taken to New Who, barring the Stephen Moffat ones. It lacks something: charm, imagination, conviction... I dunno. Anybody else read the Target novelisations as a kid?
Old 21st August 2009, 22:25

Oh wow! My first memories are of Planet of the Spiders too.

And yes I read all the books I could get hold of out of our local library. My favourite was the Three Doctors (even though that story pre-dated the Baker years).
Closed Thread