SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 3rd July 2014, 01:59

Mood
Sleepy

Default Ever felt like leaving your trolley in a supermarket and just leaving?

Tonight I felt like dumping my shopping in the supermarket and just leaving.

You know that awkwardness you get in a supermarket when you see someone you know and say hello to them......and then see them again later on in the supermarket and you don't know what to say. That happened tonight. I was happily shopping away when someone behind me said hello to me. It took a few seconds to register who it was. I knew this person when I was a teenager decades ago and say hello when I see him at the football. But that's about it. Frantically trying to avoid seeing him a second time.

To make matters worse at the end of one aisle I met another person I know. But he's the sort of person you don't know if you know them well enough to say hello to. Again - it's been years since I last saw this person. So the first time I saw him I kind of quickly turned the corner and pretended I hadn't saw him. Second time I saw him was more difficult to avoid. But this time I noticed his eyebrows raising so I said hello to him first that way he'd have thought I never saw him the first time.

So now I've got two people I'm trying to avoid seeing as I don't know what to say the next time I meet them. Very close to just running out the shop.
Old 3rd July 2014, 02:26

Default Re: Ever felt like leaving your trolley in a supermarket and just leaving?

Loads of times.
I never just felt like it, i did it.
Old 3rd July 2014, 02:31

Mood
Sleepy

Default Re: Ever felt like leaving your trolley in a supermarket and just leaving?

Was it for the same reason I mentioned or for another reason?
Old 3rd July 2014, 03:04

Mood
Bitching

in the past, definitely.
shopping can be a very stressful situation even without SA (people dithering, blocking aisles for a chat, being unable to use the fast checkout)
but you didn't run away so great job!
Old 3rd July 2014, 03:18

Mood
Pensive

I've done it loads of times.
It's going to the tills I have the biggest problem with so I often end up walking round for ages when I've got everything just trying to pluck up the courage.
Old 3rd July 2014, 09:11

Yes, i know exactly what you mean. I hate shopping anyway, too many people, getting in the way, always someone in the way of something i need to get off the shelf, but struggle to say excuse me. I dread bumping into people i know, and even worse when you haven't seen them for ages, and have to say hello, and just dont know what to say, then seeing them again further on is major torture, having to stress over what to say again, but ive pretended i haven't seen them, or if i go to turn into an aisle, sometimes ive got lucky and seen them before theyve seen me, so managed to backtrack and go down another aisle, thanking my lucky stars and hoping i dont see them again! Cant even shop without any drama ! And i hate it when people take ages at self scan tills, just want to get out, and supermarkets always play the same annoying music, that alone makes me want to run out, if i walk in and see loads of people I just want to turn round and go. Oh, and people trying to push in the queue, but i cant bring myself to say anything!
Old 3rd July 2014, 13:32

Mood
Sleepy

I never use the self service thing - any shop I use has staff on so these aren't compulsory......yet.

I usually do my shopping ten minutes before they shut as it means I don't have any bother parking (something I'm useless at) and there is hardly anyone in the shop.
Old 3rd July 2014, 15:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasie
Was it for the same reason I mentioned or for another reason?
It's because the shop was too fkn hot! Who puts the heating on in the summer - tesco! tits!

Edit: and bloody crowded!
Old 3rd July 2014, 17:26

Mood
Balanced

I have done and no doubt will do again when people crowd me in, I can shop in a near empty aisle; and the next thing I know half the store has followed me into the same aisle
Old 3rd July 2014, 17:32

I used to work in a supermarket and it happened quite a bit. Like you would have to go and round up the abandoned trolleys and baskets and put the stuff back on the shelf. The reality is it probably happened for lots of different reasons, but I just wanted to say that in case people were feeling embarrassed for doing it.

I've seen people while shopping and it can be a bit awkward especially when you have to keep walking past them aisle after aisle. Not a nice feeling, I agree.
Old 3rd July 2014, 20:52

I've rage-quit on a self-service till before. Those things infuriate me. "Are you using your own bag?" No I just moved a tin of spaghetti slightly to the left you useless piece of crap! "Approval needed!" No I'm 37 FFS, I don't need anyone's approval to buy a bottle of fruit-flavoured cider ( and frankly I don't care if anyone approves or not, I think you mean permission needed)
They are such crap yet all the supermarkets seem to use the same crappy systems, and I hate standing around going "hello? can you wave your card at the machine please cos computer says no" every time they throw a wobbly over an uncalibrated scale.
Old 3rd July 2014, 22:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseshell
Y'know the answer to that? Online shopping.
Aye, exactly.
Old 4th July 2014, 12:29

Mood
Sleepy

See these self-service things you talk of - are these compulsory in some stores? Any time I've seen them they have been an option for really busy people that don't want to wait in queue - but are there some places where that's all there is?
Old 4th July 2014, 15:29

Mood
Mellow

I find shopping in the evenings quite enjoyable, alot less people and more relaxed. I have to say the day i use a self check out point would be a major accomplishment for me.
Old 4th July 2014, 15:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasie
See these self-service things you talk of - are these compulsory in some stores? Any time I've seen them they have been an option for really busy people that don't want to wait in queue - but are there some places where that's all there is?
I don't think they are ever the only option... they just always seem more tempting than having to interact with an actual human being but it often turns out you have to do that anyway...
Old 4th July 2014, 16:39

Mood
Pensive

I try to go on the way to pick my son up from the station so I have to get through the tills by a certain time which usually works or at 7.30am when I've dropped him off but quite often only the self service tills are open then.
If I need a lot I bribe him with chocolate to go with me at weekend which isn't as bad as I know I can go outside for a few minutes if I need to.
You wouldn't believe the number of times I've driven into the car park and straight out again
Old 4th July 2014, 22:10

Mood
Lurking

God i hate shopping in supermarkets. A few days ago (and this happens frequently) i was in the supermarket trying to buy a couple of croissants for breakfast and there was an elderly lady standing infront of them for ages. I loitered pretending i was looking at something else, but she still didn't move. I walked around the isles for a few minutes, returned and she was still there. I was about to give up and go home when she finally moved, only to be beaten to the few remaining croissants by other shoppers. When everyone had gone and the coast was clear, there were none left and i went home empty handed and had to lie to my husband telling him they were sold out. Stuff like that happens a lot. Heaven forbid i excuse myself or beg someone's pardon blah blah blah to get in there and take what i want. Nope, i'd just rather go without than have to speak to someone...... Supermarkets are awful. Plus - those self service queues - i never know if people are waiting in the self service queue or waiting to be served for lottery tickets or ciggies, so i hate to try and jump the queue and end up just waiting behind everyone else while other shoppers whiz past me to the self service tills. Urgh. Horrid.
Old 5th July 2014, 01:20

Mood
Sleepy

I had a similar one when trying to buy the cheap "Savers" bar of chocolate. There was a whole family gathered round that area. I didn't want to be "seen" buying the "Savers" chocolate.....I'm ok at the counter with them - it's just the picking them up with other people watching me. So I went round the whole supermarket - this was the final item to buy. OCD means my shopping is almost identical week to week so I had to get the chocolate. I couldn't leave it out. I was quite prepared to ditch the whole shopping but not one item. I think I may have issues.
Old 5th July 2014, 15:51

I have this thing where I notice people looking at my food in my trolley, and I get really self conscious, especially when there is cakes and biscuits in there!

I really wanted to challenge myself to say something to a stranger in a supermarket just for social practice, but in my head I was like...what do I say...those grapes look big and juicy don't they?!
Old 8th July 2014, 09:51

Mood
Thinking

Maybe we should do a thing, we're we go to the supermarkets with local SA'er?? I think that would help you feel less anxious.