SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 23rd May 2005, 00:14
diaspar

Default Life Coaching?

As anyone ever considered life coaching or anything like it?

My problem or issue is I seem to be drifting through life at the moment with no clear goals or direction. I'm 39 so this could be a mid-life crisis(Emote: roundnround)

Six months ago I started to realise that I'd lost interest in my career and my life was very unsatisfactory.I stopped working and took some time out to find out what was wrong with my life. Anyway turns out I lack self confidence, have a few issues and am very avoidant/socially anxious. Being avoidant meant I just stopped doing things I couldn't cope with anymore - like work. Anyway came across SA-UK and realised the symptoms, particularly avoidance and anxiety about difference social situations was commonplace. Made me feel less odd.

I also realised when I'd had some of vision and got on with things, that life seemed to be OK.School, college and jobs went OK, coping and working around my SA . However, outside this I've tended to be fearful and not do as much as I could. (Emote: rolleyes)At University and work I've done well, despite being unambitious.

I don't need career counselling as I've got/had a good jobs/skills. Its the life around and outside work I need to get going. Unless of course I changed tack, my enviroment etc.

So what I was thinking as if I came up with a plan in conjunction with a life coach then maybe I'd achieve more. There are lots I want to do in life - travel more, do lots of activities (ride horses, sail, climb mountains), have a better social life, get married, feel like I've been there, done that.

The life coach job is to motivate you and keep you on track, not really tell you what to do.

I'm ok financially and have no committments. I could afford to travel the world, but mostly can't be bothered to leave the house. Could do lots of things, except i'm anxious about doing anything. So how do I go about doing more things and get a vision!

[2 edits; Last edit by diaspar at 11:22:03 Tue May 24 2005]
Old 23rd May 2005, 19:37
annie1

Default Re: Life Coaching?

My sister-in-law does this, personally I don't think you need to pay someone to tell you what you already know. I don't think they'll be able to help much with the SA side.
Maybe cbt would be better? (Emote: smile)
Old 24th May 2005, 09:38
Chach

Default Re: Life Coaching?

I nearly did this but in the end I came to the same conclusion as Annie. Life coaches make a lot of money just to talk and provide encouragement. The one I spoke to was American and, as Americans often do, she exaggerated the encouragement and put me off altogether.

Sorry for the generalisation. I'm not saying that being larger than life is always a bad thing, but this didn't suit me.
Closed Thread