SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 28th February 2010, 13:32

Default CBT

Dont post here much but Im really starting to reach the end of how much I can take. I was offered CBT by my doctor 4/5 weeks ago and told him I would think about it and get back to him, If anyone doesnt mind could you let me know If CBT was effective for you and what sort of things you had to do?
Old 28th February 2010, 14:43

Mood
Nerdy

Default Re: CBT

I,m waiting to get referred too, says it,ll take 6 week.
Old 28th February 2010, 19:09

When I had CBT on the NHS, the guy doing it was an idiot who wouldn't listen to me so, needless to say it was very ineffective.
However, I still do the thought records to evaluate the accuracy ofd your thinking sometimes, when I can be bothered, with on occasion quite incredible results. It's alwasy something I meant to go back to, looking at evidence for what you think or for what will likely happen can I'm sure be very effective.
Old 28th February 2010, 19:12
Banned

Mood
Blah

I had CBT for a while. Didn't get on with the therapists Socratic approach.
Old 28th February 2010, 19:22

Mood
Fine

I found the CBT I had was very good. You basically set out a list of objectives that you want to achieve and then take small steps to get there. This is completely at your own pace so no one is putting pressure on you to achieve anything. It looks at both behaviour aspects and your thoughts, I did find looking at the behaviour alot easier than looking at my thoughts.
Old 1st March 2010, 17:38

Mood
Balanced

For me the sessions were too short - half an hour once a week for 6 weeks. But I came away with sheets and sheets of information and techniques that I spent some time each week working through. But you do have to be fairly motivated to do that. What was more helpful to me was that once the sessions ended the therapist continued to ring me firstly once a week, and then fortnightly for a further number of weeks. During these calls I could gain support and raise anything that I was struggling with. I would say give it a go. Good luck
Closed Thread