Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 3rd February 2010, 23:55

Mood
Tired

Default Things you say to yourself

Right now things are getting a bit worse, just feel too much over thinking is building up tension and anxiety and its really affecting the clarity of my thinking, things seem bigger and more unbeatable than they are.

When im feeling a bit less stressed I have certain things I sometimes say to myself which help simplify situations and relax me, such as

There is no such thing as "the right thing to say"

Just be yourself -

This one is complete cliche, but I think thats because it is entirely true, no one is obligated be entertaining, interesting or interested, attentive or talkative, say as much or as little as you want, it doesnt matter. If your depressed thats fine, you don't need to act otherwise, same goes for nervous, that's fine too. I think alot of moving on has to do with accepting yourself, realizing its fine to be the way you are, and the way you are feeling.

Im just wondering if anyone else has things they sometimes say to themselves that seem to help them when there relaxed enough for it to help.
Old 4th February 2010, 01:18

Mood
Relaxed

Default Re: Things you say to yourself

I find i tell myself " there are soooooo many more people out there worse of than me" when i'm feeling really low i say that quite a bit, it doesn't always help but meh lol
Old 4th February 2010, 05:47

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1987
Right now things are getting a bit worse, just feel too much over thinking is building up tension and anxiety and its really affecting the clarity of my thinking, things seem bigger and more unbeatable than they are.

When im feeling a bit less stressed I have certain things I sometimes say to myself which help simplify situations and relax me, such as

There is no such thing as "the right thing to say"

Just be yourself -

This one is complete cliche, but I think thats because it is entirely true, no one is obligated be entertaining, interesting or interested, attentive or talkative, say as much or as little as you want, it doesnt matter. If your depressed thats fine, you don't need to act otherwise, same goes for nervous, that's fine too. I think alot of moving on has to do with accepting yourself, realizing its fine to be the way you are, and the way you are feeling.

Im just wondering if anyone else has things they sometimes say to themselves that seem to help them when there relaxed enough for it to help.

I find this to be an interesting thread so thank you for that Right now I am going threw those same feelings as you are going threw and more like just my anxiety cycle of stress, worry, over whelmed, anxiety, anger, depression, negative to suicidal thoughts, and just isolating myself from others as well as becoming sad and breaking down and crying. I am so glad that you wrote this thread. I really needed to come across this thread to lift up my spirit. Words that I use are like there is always a sliver lining at the end of the rainbow. There can be a ray of hope you just got to search hard enough to find it. One that I use a lot now is you are not alone and keep holding on and just keep moving forward. Those are the ones I use a lot to all the time. That we all have problems we have to face and that it is okay if you arent at where other people are at you just need to believe in yourself and just be who you are. I use just be who you are a lot too or say to myself just be me that is the only thing that truely matters is just be me just be yourself. Dont worry about other people and what they think. some people will love you for you and others wont so dont worry just be me just be yourself. Thanks your thread made me feel a little better. that or I say dont push yourself if you cant get everything done who cares you as long as you tried then you didnt really fail you only fail if you stop trying.
Old 4th February 2010, 05:48

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny_Girl
I find i tell myself " there are soooooo many more people out there worse of than me" when i'm feeling really low i say that quite a bit, it doesn't always help but meh lol
I do that too.
Old 4th February 2010, 11:14

Mood
Melancholy

when im in a clear state of mind i try to think of things like

'will this really matter in the grand scheme of things' such as say im freaking out over something like ringing someone up on the phone.

i also tell myself how i may be analysing an interaction, but in reality the person im interacting with say a dr or pysch, wld have heaps of patients a day so altho what i say is a big deal to me, im prob just one of many patients. ie-not that big a deal.

also one saying i heard ages ago helps me it goes something like...
People won't remember what you said, People won't remember what you did, People will remember how you made them feel!!

i think this is so true and it makes me realise that its really doesn't matter how im coming across eg awkward, shy, quiet etc
At the end of the day most people when they recall you will remember how u made them feel about themselves. It helps me take the pressure off myself. I think of people from the past and its true its not so much their behaviour i remember, its like was that person a bitch, who made nasty comments about me or was judgemental or were they a kind or respectful person, who i felt was genuine.

this is one i really need to remember much more actually
Old 4th February 2010, 11:25

"never gamble online again" but i always end up doing it because i convince myself im going to win 'this time'
Old 4th February 2010, 12:22

Mood
Nerdy

When i,m constantly mentally beating myself up i say
"Be Gentle with yourself"
Old 4th February 2010, 18:40

I often say "I am a falible human being just like everyone else. I don't need to be perfect"

If I am thinking a particular negative, like "I am crap at my job" it helps if I say "there is room in the world for one more person who is crap at his job".

Sometimes if I am critising myself for doing something. I think of someone I like and ask myself "what would I say to that person if he/she had done this".

These may not be quite what you are looking for, but they have helped with my self acceptance.
Old 6th February 2010, 11:21

When my mind starts to race over something I did or said or am afraid of (or whatever), I tell myself things along those lines:

"So what? Why am I wasting energy on this? Does this really matter if I look at the bigger picture? I don't have time for this. Life is not serious, there are far more interesting things to put my energy into. I don't have to feel like this - it's MY choice to let this affect / stop me or not, so what will it be?"

Another thing is when my mind is all over the place or I start to panic, I think of a colour. I block all words and think with colours and shapes instead which is very calming... shifts my mind away from pointless unnecessary negative thoughts.
Old 10th February 2010, 13:01

When i get nervous when i think i look a freak around people i say to myself i'm not invisable but i am unremarkable.....it sometimes works...

And the other one i used to say is i am a strong mature woman ...that one never bloody worked though
Old 27th February 2010, 01:35

Mood
Cold

"Maybe tomorrow will be better"
Old 27th February 2010, 02:03

Mood
Doh

i dont say things to myself really
but recently i showed interest in someone and he didnt show much bak so i thought 'does he find me ugly'?
Old 27th February 2010, 04:44

Mood
Scurvy

I will own all you newbs.

(Gaming context)
Old 18th March 2010, 16:44

I've been a life long cynic and always dismissed this sort of thing as hokum.
I found it on some website. and the cynic in me hates it but it seems to work.

" these feelings are irrational and they will pass."
" the more I understand that they are irrational the less they will start to effect me in the future"

ewww that's so saccharine I want to hit myself.
Closed Thread