SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Board Management > The Garage
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 1st September 2011, 05:15

Mood
Lonely

Default Do you think that you'd still post here if...

SAUK had a 'Karma' feature and a 'Like' feature?

I'll explain a little further. I've posted on private message boards hosted by Proboards. Proboards have a 'karma' feature whereby you can award a user an 'exalt' (their karma rating goes up by 1 point) or alternatively, you can 'smite' them (their karma rating goes down by 1 point).

Proboards are also about to add a 'Like' feature, such as you get on Facebook and some other message boards. You can use this feature to award a 'Like' (and possibly a 'Dislike') to an individual post.

In either case, your 'value' as a poster becomes quantifiable. Either by your worth on the whole (Karma) or the value of each individual post (Like) and you can find out, for example, that your response was the least highly regarded out of 15 responses, based on the number of 'Like' points. The Karma factor has been a problem for me in the past, having posted on Proboards. Fortunately, the Proboard of which I'm currently a member has an 'opt-in' feature so that I don't have to compare my rating against others'. Unfortunately, I doubt that it will be possible to opt my posts out of the 'Like' system and if I'm the least funny or insightful poster on a thread (quite likely), then I'm faced with the quantifiably verified fact that I was the poorest contributor to that thread. I don't think that my self-esteem could withstand a system of constantly being rated, so that would certainly cause me to cease all posting on that board.

If the SAUK board system (not sure what it's called) implemented the Karma and Like system, do you think that you would be happy to continue posting here?
Old 1st September 2011, 07:40

Mood
Happy

Default Re: Do you think that you'd still post here if...

I find the whole idea very disagreeable and feel it would be entirely irrevelent to the sauk concept. My opinion is that in the sharing of experiences we are all of equal worth and to begin to think differently would be very wrong.
Old 1st September 2011, 08:23

LOl reddit
Old 1st September 2011, 08:35

Mood
Fine

I'd still post but I imagine it'd put some people off and could upset people if they don't get likes or if they get smited too much!

If I got 10000000 smites and no likes, I think I wouldn't post again!
Old 1st September 2011, 10:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellPikachu
LOl reddit
I agree with this sentiment.

In practice, karma systems just result in ganging up on anyone who has an unpopular opinion.
Old 1st September 2011, 10:51

I imagine it would put people off becoming moderators for sure
Old 1st September 2011, 11:58

Mood
Doubtful

Hell no! Many people are afraid to post as it is, for fear of people finding them boring/depressing/thick etc . The possibility of having this quantifiably confirmed would make this even worse. This should as far as possible be a place where we can test the waters with our social skills without being judged harshly. Besides, it's a forum for people with problems and obviously sometimes things people say will be very negative or angry and it doesn't seem right that this sort of thing should be rated in any way.
Old 1st September 2011, 12:13

Mood
Alienated

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnLeaves
Hell no! Many people are afraid to post as it is, for fear of people finding them boring/depressing/thick etc . The possibility of having this quantifiably confirmed would make this even worse. This should as far as possible be a place where we can test the waters with our social skills without being judged harshly. Besides, it's a forum for people with problems and obviously sometimes things people say will be very negative or angry and it doesn't seem right that this sort of thing should be rated in any way.
This. As a new user I still find it difficult to post; I already imagine people thinking "Why has she put that" "Why doesn't she shut up" without giving people the option to actually confirm it.
Old 1st September 2011, 12:22

^ don't think it would ever happen on this forum anyway, for those very reasons.

For what its worth I would probably endure it because I am too reliant on these forums, but I would certainly post less (and more carefully) and not at all during my more paranoid moods. It would be like being moderated by all the forum users really, because if you posted insensitively then it would be voted upon with lots of 'dislikes'. Maybe that isn't a bad thing...
Old 1st September 2011, 13:11
Banned

I think if such a feature was introduced i'd collect alot of negative karma/smites quite quickly ..lol,

but they'd also be some who would give me positive karma for my contributions

so im not sure really how it would end up lol
Old 1st September 2011, 13:50

I always though those things were as much about how much you posted. Post a lot people notice you, get a feeling for your personality and so on. I don't think it would work here but it's all a bit of pointless fun. The guardian newspaper has a 'like' function and some of the most stupid, crass and downright dumb comments are often the ones that get the most 'likes'.
Old 1st September 2011, 13:51

Mood
Bored

I doubt any forum like this would need such a system but on larger boards where spammers and trolls seem to be the majority its a good idea. The anonimity of forums can turn many normal pleasant people into massive dicks for some reason so I support a system where they can be easily identified and dealt with.

Of course for some racking up a huge negative karma/rating would be an enjoyable task for some lol.
Old 1st September 2011, 13:57

Mood
Breezy

A popularity contest... for people with social anxiety? What a BRILLIANT IDEA!!
Old 1st September 2011, 14:11

Mood
Alienated

It's a good idea in theory: just clicking 'like' is a lot more efficient than quoting someone and saying "good post!". But I post on another forum which has a 'like' function, and it results in people constantly replying to posts with stupid pictures and gifs trying to get their 'like' count up, rather than making any attempt to engage in the discussion.
Old 1st September 2011, 14:32

Mood
Scurvy

People are bad enough with regular posts and going nuts over that. A dislike feature probably lead them to walk into a bus.

Na overall its not a good idea - However a 'like' button without a negative counterpart and without statistics to that person would seem acceptable. Possibly shouldnt show who liked or not either.

Sometimes I would like to do that - Only option currently is to quote it which is sometimes not worth it.
Old 1st September 2011, 14:35

I would, sometimes I want to just say I like someones post or agree but don't seem the point in just quoting just to say that.
Old 1st September 2011, 14:42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG.89
Lul. I used to be a member on a forum that introduced reps and neps.

After a week they withdrew the nep feature because the moderators all reached maximum negative reputation within a few days. Now everyone but new members have maximum positive reputation.

*wonders how the moderators here would fare..*
Old 1st September 2011, 14:50
Banned (at own request)

Apart from suicide rates in the UK probably suffering an exponential rise, I'm a bit miffed that I didn't have the foresight to think of the idea myself.
Old 1st September 2011, 14:51

Mood
Alienated

id still post

i doubt id used the feature at all though...i hate the whole facebook "like" thing its one of the main reasons i dont go on it anymore

id maybe question it a little if i was massing negative but who knows
Old 1st September 2011, 15:07

bad idea. A like button though- that's quite good although maybe a bit pointless when people can already post to say they like a thread type thing. (I'm thinking of like advice posts in the recovery section). But I think it's largely pointless.
Old 1st September 2011, 15:27

Mood
Lonely

Thanks for the responses all.

Yes, fortunately I think that the board administration would realise that any kind of reputation feature would put people like us off of posting here, so it's unlikely that these will be brought to SAUK.

Some people opined that a 'Like' button with no 'Dislike' counterpart would be a good idea. However, I'd prefer not to even have that, because the 'weaker' contributors on the board are still going to recognise the fact that their posts are getting considerably fewer 'likes' than those from the more astute or witty posters. In the case of many posters, the feeling that nothing we do is 'good enough' is what underlies out SA, so any kind of popularity contest wouldn't do.
Old 1st September 2011, 15:41

Mood
Lonely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazuru
A good feature i see on another forum that i think would be good for SAUK was a forum section that allowed you to post with a different name and become anonymous just for that particular part of the forum.

I think it would be great for getting stuff off your chest and sharing and asking for advice without feeling anxious , self-aware , embarrassed etc
Yep, that would be a great feature.
Old 1st September 2011, 16:06

Mood
Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjohn
I find the whole idea very disagreeable and feel it would be entirely irrevelent to the sauk concept. My opinion is that in the sharing of experiences we are all of equal worth and to begin to think differently would be very wrong.
I have to agree with Peter on this.

On a board such as this such a feature could be damaging to plenty of users and would no doubt discourage some from contributing at all. With fear of negative evaluation being a key aspect to SA, and with so many people suffering with low confidence and esteem, I think the whole concept would be a non-starter here.

When I first came to this site I lurked for a long time before even registering. Once I did start posting I was very unsure of myself. In life, as well as on here, I was very scared of offering an opinion on anything for fear of being shot to pieces as I usually was in 'real life'. So if there was a feature on here back then where I saw my thoughts were seen as 'weak' or 'wrong' it would have shattered any budding confidence I may have had.

As it happened, using sauk has actually helped me to feel ok about giving an opinion both here and in daily living. But if I'd have been scared off by clear negative evaluation early on, I may not have developed my willingness to stick my neck out and share my thoughts and opinions. People posting in disagreement of a post/opinion of mine is fine, but if I'd seen a deluge of 'dislikes' it would have spooked me from using the site.
Old 1st September 2011, 16:15
Administrator

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocre-mic
Yes, fortunately I think that the board administration would realise that any kind of reputation feature would put people like us off of posting here, so it's unlikely that these will be brought to SAUK.

Some people opined that a 'Like' button with no 'Dislike' counterpart would be a good idea. However, I'd prefer not to even have that, because the 'weaker' contributors on the board are still going to recognise the fact that their posts are getting considerably fewer 'likes' than those from the more astute or witty posters. In the case of many posters, the feeling that nothing we do is 'good enough' is what underlies out SA, so any kind of popularity contest wouldn't do.
Yes, you're right - this is a topic that has popped up a few times over the years, in various different guises, and it's always something that we've not looked to put in place for the reasons that you (and many others) have put forward. It's something more likely to cause problems than improve things in any way at a place like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazuru
A good feature i see on another forum that i think would be good for SAUK was a forum section that allowed you to post with a different name and become anonymous just for that particular part of the forum.

I think it would be great for getting stuff off your chest and sharing and asking for advice without feeling anxious , self-aware , embarrassed etc
There's nothing stopping you from signing up with another account to use to post stuff like that, if you want. Just make sure you use it for that reason and not for mischief
Old 1st September 2011, 16:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiance
Well I'd be fine. Everybody loves me.

But seriously, this a feature that would not be at all useful or appropriate on a site like SAUK.
Old 1st September 2011, 16:52
Banned

Is it just a rep/neg system then? I thought about what would happen if we had one on here. Don't think it's a good idea considering the sensitive nature of this place. Even if you just have a rep system then you will find people will still get upset & jealous when others will have a better rep rating then them.
On The Student Room the feature just gets abused whereas on a football forum i go on it actually used very well.
Old 1st September 2011, 16:57
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellPikachu
LOl reddit
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnathemA
I agree with this sentiment.

In practice, karma systems just result in ganging up on anyone who has an unpopular opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dory
I imagine it would put people off becoming moderators for sure
Quote:
Smite me furiously and see if I care!
Quote:
I think if such a feature was introduced i'd collect alot of negative karma/smites quite quickly ..lol,

but they'd also be some who would give me positive karma for my contributions

so im not sure really how it would end up lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cillian Murphy
Rep systems on forums can be fun, but on here it's never gonna work, especially with neg rep. People are gonna get butthurt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplodocus
A popularity contest... for people with social anxiety? What a BRILLIANT IDEA!!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zayed
Apart from suicide rates in the UK probably suffering an exponential rise, I'm a bit miffed that I didn't have the foresight to think of the idea myself.

Repped.
Old 1st September 2011, 17:33
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

I'd still post for a while at least but eventually the smite/like ratio,just confirming how unpopular/out of place i am,would get to me and i'd end up too anxious/frightened/and paranoid to post.

It would be awful if such a thing were ever introduced to a board like this.
Old 1st September 2011, 21:38
Banned

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Lul. I used to be a member on a forum that introduced reps and neps.

After a week they withdrew the nep feature because the moderators all reached maximum negative reputation within a few days. Now everyone but new members have maximum positive reputation.
I think that says a lot to be honest.

Here, I would predict a kiss-arse contest whereby certain members would consistently highly rep moderators in order to curry favour with them and recieve preferential treatment as a result. I've seen it all across the internet on message boards and this forum is no exception. A rep system would make this worse.

I personally think it's a fantastic concept because it allows members to self-moderate, although it dosen't work with a regime like the one adopted on this forums and most others. On youtube, once a comment has recieved a certain amount of dislikes it disappears from immediate view and one has to click to view it. It's a neat feature because it allows someone to post a comment without people having to offend themselves by reading it if they don't want to and spend the rest of the night crying into their hands.

People like me can then enjoy the objections and opinions of everyone without having to witness the kind of debacle which is very common on forums whereby someone types a comment slightly close to the mark and you spend the rest of the thread reading reactionary comments about this and that, whos right and whos wrong, whos evil and who isn't.

There is no reason that forums cannot be self-moderated by the members themselves but it dosen't happen because the majority of people favour being ruled by a few people who exercise judgement when they deem necessary even if the judgement is only favoured by a few and not the majority. I will never understand this system and it's the reason why I don't use this forum or the majority of forums on the internet but I'm an individual and I like people, so internet message boards were never really meant for me anyway.
Old 1st September 2011, 23:57
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder
On youtube, once a comment has recieved a certain amount of dislikes it disappears from immediate view and one has to click to view it. It's a neat feature because it allows someone to post a comment without people having to offend themselves by reading it if they don't want to and spend the rest of the night crying into their hands.
Thing is even if a certain post was hidden like you described people would still click on it and then comment on their dislike/disapproval of it leading to another long thread derailed with people trying to out argue each other.
The same general argument is made for The Basement in that if you are easily offended then don't go in there yet people still do even thou its obvious what a certain thread is about they still go in there and then complain when they read something they don't like.
I agree a forum where there is more self-moderation is better but i think you get instances were people don't know any better and should really be more careful how they use forums and what to avoid etc.