SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 7th May 2010, 14:00

Mood
Fiendish

Default ATOS Medical Assessment

Has anyone had any experience of these? I've just had a letter to say i need to go to one.
Old 8th May 2010, 13:53

Mood
Happy

Default Re: ATOS Medical Assessment

I've just had a letter this morning to say I need to call to arrange mine too, so would also be interested to hear peoples experiences of them. What happens at them re assessing your mental health?

I'm a bit annoyed they sent a letter saying I need to call to arrange an assessment when all over the forms I had to fill in for them I put that I can't ring people due to anxiety:rolleyes: Are they trying to trick me so i'll ring to arrange it and they'll decide I can call people so I can work?
Old 8th May 2010, 14:12
Banned at own request

Mood
Relaxed

From my experience of them they really don't pay any attention to what you write on your form, it's a complete fallacy that they ask you to fill it in to be honest.

The medical's really not hard, only takes about 15 minutes so don't worry about that. I'd recommend taking someone with you as they're more likely to take you seriously if you have a relative or a friend with you.

I have to say though you'll be lucky if they do pass you, the medical really isn't set up for people with mental health problems. The questions are completely nonsensical and don't really relate at all to people with mental health problems.

If they don't pass you make sure you appeal the decision as most people will get passed by a tribunal. It's an absolute joke of a system really, wastes your time and theirs and creates stress for people that really don't need any extra.
Old 8th May 2010, 20:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPasta
I've just had a letter this morning to say I need to call to arrange mine too, so would also be interested to hear peoples experiences of them. What happens at them re assessing your mental health?

I'm a bit annoyed they sent a letter saying I need to call to arrange an assessment when all over the forms I had to fill in for them I put that I can't ring people due to anxiety:rolleyes: Are they trying to trick me so i'll ring to arrange it and they'll decide I can call people so I can work?
I wrote them a letter explaining that I had difficulty using telephones due to my SA and they just ignored it and insisted that I phone to arrange a medical :rolleyes:

The medical itself was just being asked questions by an Atos doctor. They put your answers into a computer and it works on a points system. I think my medical lasted about 15-20 minutes and you have to wait a few weeks for their decision by letter. They are horrible things to have to go through when you have SA.
Old 8th May 2010, 20:38

Mood
Happy

I'm going to get someone to call for me, there's no way I can do it. In the box on the forms they sent out a week ago I put that i'd rather they just send me a letter telling me when my appt is instead of calling to arrange one.. then they make it even more difficult by saying I have to call them within 2 days!!

good to know the actual medical doesn't take too long though, thanks everyone and sorry steve for hijacking your thread
Old 8th May 2010, 21:28

Mood
Confused

Ok, the assessment is total crap- the guy asked me about 3 questions, silly questions, saw all of the 5 med's that im on etc, then gave me 0 points- this was last october- anyway, i just had my tribunal on the 7th april, and the judge gave me 37 points, without me having to even enter the room,lol, they just saw my psychiatrists reports and did it- i just got a back payment of over £1000, which was great, but the stress and worry i went thru the last 6 months was really awful.
Old 9th May 2010, 02:21

Mood
Sluggish

i had my first atos medical last december,due to severe depression and social anxiety,i have not worked for the last 7 years and for six of tho's years i never claimed any benifits because of my anxiety i could not bring my self to go to the job center and fill out the forms...........

i got by with handouts from a relative,

anyway iv hardly left the house for 6 years and when i did finaly go out to se the doctors i could not have done it alone without my girlfriend going with me,you see i can,t deal with people or sit in waiting rooms,so she had to go in and i would wait outside untill i was called by the doctor........

i have got a little better this last six months but i still have her with me every time i have to visit somewhere.

she was with me at the atos medical and i passed first time...with the recomendation that i should be able to look for work in a years time....even tho my doctor sais it will be likely long term...

due to that medical i was deemed to have limited capabilty for work and placed into the work focused activity group.this means i have to go to six interviews at one a month,but because of my condition i have requested a home visit which they have to do.

i am on a CBT course at the moment i had my first session last week and due another on tuesday...

i have been classed as serverly depressed and have severe social anxiety.........i could go on to how this all came to be but i would not want to bore you.....

anyway the atos medical is ok....just make sure you answer the questions as tho you were having youe worst day possible..and its best to have someone with you.

there must be different levels of s/a because i really don,t understand how anyone can have S/A and still be able to work unless of course they work on there own.............

anyway good luck
Old 9th May 2010, 02:57

i dread these. im expecting my call up soon, somewhere around the 12th june.

i wish my last 2 medicals had just lasted 15 mins... mine lasted about an hour and were ordeals. it is best to take someone with you and let your doctor know that you are going to one of these things.

its easy to say you will be okay because i know how it feels to have to attend one of these bloody things and its not nice, just try not to worry about it, if you are not fit enough to work then you will be fine.

good luck and let us know how you get on.

take care.
juliexx
Old 9th May 2010, 12:48
Banned at own request

Mood
Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf
anyway the atos medical is ok....just make sure you answer the questions as tho you were having youe worst day possible..and its best to have someone with you.
That's great advice!

I made the mistake when I went for one of the these of trying to show the guy that I was improving and that I fully intended to get out to work as soon as I was well enough. Don't do that though, any positivity you show in your medical will count against you, which again highlights the stupidity of the system.

Answer everything like it's one of your bad days.
Old 5th June 2010, 10:32

Mood
Gloomy

I had my first about 18 months ago, it was a horrible experience but I "passed" and kept receiving my benefits.

I got a letter through this morning and need to fill out yet another incapacity benefit form and go to another medical gargh. I'm not sure if I can do all that again hmmm.
Old 5th June 2010, 10:53

Mood
Creative

Something I've been involved with recently:
Quote:
The medicals are carried out by private company Atos healthcare which also conducts staff medicals for the civil service.

ME sufferer Vikki Bell was dismissed from her Department for Work and Pensions desk job she had held for 15 years, after an Atos assessment concluded she was too ill for the role, and was unlikely to return in the foreseeable future.

But just three weeks later when applying for ESA, she was told by another Atos assessor that she was fit to work and did not qualify for the benefit.

Atos said the tests undergone by Ms Bell - who has since qualified for ESA after reapplying - were different with different criteria.
also this:

http://www.24dash.com/news/bill_paym...it-for-purpose
Old 5th June 2010, 10:59

Mood
Gloomy

ATOS are utter shite, they do the occupational health assessments where I work. They try to assess everything over the phone in 10 mins (I believe they are targeted at something like 20 mins to do the call and write the report) and it's an uphill struggle to get them to agree to have you come in for a face to face assessment.

Obviously occ health is a little different from assessing for benefits but I'm sure they do the same shoddy job and collect the payment for it regardless.
Old 5th June 2010, 16:20

I have had one before, a couple of years ago, and 'passed'.

Now I've got another one next week, hurrah
Old 5th June 2010, 16:40

I may be wrong but I thought Tory Policy was to reasess everyone claiming ESA. But I'm not sure if it's been rolled out yet or the exact details
Old 8th September 2010, 22:50

How long does it take ATOS to make a decision. My wife had an ESA medical three weeks ago but has not heard back yet. As if going for the medical was bad enough, they kept her waiting for 35 minutes. I spent most of the time in the waiting room looking around for a hidden camera to make observations about her actions.
Old 8th September 2010, 23:12

Mood
Fine

From what I can remember it doesn't take them too long to make a decision.... should be through anytime, but give them a call and check if it's really bothering her.

They kept me waiting the first time too. The next time I had to have one I told them point blank that if I had to wait longer then 10 minutes I was walking, and if they refused to give me another appointment I'd sue them for discriminating against me due to a disability. Needless to say they saw me promptly.

Hope this is resolved for your wife soon.
Old 8th September 2010, 23:50

these people...they make me wish I had a bazooka or something. seriously. it's so ****ing wrong, putting people who've already been recognised as severely ill through all this pointless extra stress. good luck to everyone who's dealing with them at the moment. I don't have anything else useful to add right now, but this site is useful.
Old 9th September 2010, 00:08

I had one a while ago and thought it went ok. However when I got the decision, I'd missed passing by one 'mark', which was that I was able to use the telephone, when I had specifically said in the assessment that I had a lot of difficulty with it. Shows how much they really listen/care. I'm sort of lucky in that the only money I was going to lose was my ongoing national insurance credits, as I also get Carer's Allowance meaning that my actual Income Support wasn't affected. I'm still appealing though. Bastards.

Interesting article and here

"In one case highlighted by the Papworth Trust, a 52-year-old woman attempted suicide after she was told that because she could "walk, talk and dress nicely" she would not qualify for state assistance. In a high-pressure job in social care she had snapped under pressure a few months earlier.

"My doctor and psychiatrist both wrote saying I was unfit to work but the young woman in the assessment said that you can speak, hear, see and are not incontinent so you can work. She was very sorry. But it was crushing. I had lost my job, my house, my car," said the woman, who requested anonymity.

Soon after being turned down for benefits, which amounted to £65 a week, she was rushed to hospital with a drugs overdose. "It was the final straw for me. I thought, what else can I do?"

Old 9th September 2010, 01:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattyLady
...she was told that because she could "walk, talk and dress nicely" she would not qualify for state assistance.
They have guidelines on this, apparently. The more okay you look, the more okay they will mark you as being, they don't give a shit that mental illness manifests itself in lots of different ways. They're..just...I'm trying not to set off the bad language filter again.
Old 9th September 2010, 01:25

(I think I'm due an assessment towards the end of next year. I'm already quite wound up about it. Can you tell?)
Old 9th September 2010, 04:28
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

I have filled in the form before and not been called for an interview, but that was 3 years ago. Not long ago I got a form and had to go for a medical. I think I was probably one of the last people to do an IB medical. My understanding is that they are now moving people over to ESA, so I expect you'll get an ESA letter at some point and have to fill it in and attend an ESA assessment. No idea off the top of my head what the time frame is, but I think they want everyone on ESA by 2014.
Old 9th September 2010, 10:28

Mood
Creative

The talk is out that is you even attend these medicals you fail as you were 'able' to attend, I've been called up for an IB medical and phoned to say I was too ill to attend both, they said I have to see my doc and get him to fax that I was not fit too attend, so I countered and said I was housebound and could not see the doc and he only did emergency callouts to the home.

The whole thing is sounding rigged now, you say in the questionaire that you cannot sit comfortably for 10 mins in an upright chair, they make you wait before the medical in an upright chair 'please arrive ten minites before your medical', the doc will assess you on that before the medical begins, how sly!
Old 9th September 2010, 10:34

Mood
Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricity Bendix
Anyway, if anyone could tell me how long you waited I'd be really grateful. Thanks.
Bout a year after filling in the forms for me, I was at the point where I thought I'd never be called in for one.

The tips I have had is to make it as awkward as possible for them to conduct your medical and to act as ill as possible. I too get the feeling they might be spying on me soon.
Old 9th September 2010, 10:38
Banned

Mood
Alienated

I've being twice over the years and am due another next year. They are horrible and very stress inducing - i worry that they'll fail me, pay me less money and make me look for a job
Old 9th September 2010, 16:03

Mood
Lurking

I have those letters but my doctor sends them a fax explaining i cannot attend and then requests a home visit. The centre for mine is miles away there is no way i could get there. I wish i could just be left alone quite frankly.
Old 9th September 2010, 16:05
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuffie
I have those letters but my doctor sends them a fax explaining i cannot attend and then requests a home visit. The centre for mine is miles away there is no way i could get there. I wish i could just be left alone quite frankly.
Is it still in Wimbledon? I had to go to Wimbledon when I lived in Chessington, seemed a bit crazy.
Old 9th September 2010, 16:14

Mood
Lurking

Yeah or they said if it was easier i could go to Croydon, Yeah that's closer. I'm so lucky i can hit my doctors surgery with a stone from my bedroom window. :-)
Old 20th November 2010, 10:42

i was signed off 2 years ago for anxiety/panic attacks, seizures and a mild form of aggrophobia,
i now see a councilor who aswell as my doctor has signed me off for severe mental health issues,
knowing all this i was still required to attend the medical assessment, when i mentioned that i struggle to the sleep i was told that was not relevant, but i was then asked whether i could mcook or have cooked am meal before? can anyone tell me whether they know why this is please?
Closed Thread