SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 8th April 2024, 22:31

Mood
Tired

Default Re: TV programs you're watching?

Re-watching Sherlock (modern BBC version)
It is a tad melodramatic, London-centric and very obviously a typical product of the BBC, but it does have the odd interesting storyline and seems quite well produced,
But as it goes on, the sickly sweet BBC PC (melo)drama factor does grind my gears.
Old 8th April 2024, 23:40

^ Watch the entire Jeremy Brett ones. Looooooads better.

They're all on itvx and fantastic.
Old 9th April 2024, 00:07

I'm two episodes into the Sexy Beast prequel TV series and I'm rolling my eyes at how many lines from the film it uses. I get wanting to do the odd reference, but this lifts wholesale, and sometimes it doesn't even make sense, like a character saying something that a different character says in the film. And this version of Don Logan is like a cartoon version of Ben Kingsley's performance. And Dennis Pennis is playing Mike Reid for some reason.
Old 9th April 2024, 14:46

Curb Your Enthusiasm finale. It was okay. I'm glad it's all finally over because it hasn't been great in years despite still having good moments here and there. Most of this last episode was probably lost on me because I've never seen Seinfeld.
Old 9th April 2024, 15:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen.
Curb Your Enthusiasm. I'm glad it's all finally over

Quote:
never seen Seinfeld.
*Ring Ring*
"Hi, is that Jen?"

Old 9th April 2024, 15:31

I know it's probably good (but I'm sure I'll never find out) - it just always fell into the category of shows that made me feel sick with boredom and confusion when they were on television when I was young because they all looked the same. Seinfeld, Frasier, Spin City, Everybody Loves Raymond, the Larry Sanders Show, the Drew Carey Show... when you're staying up late to watch Big Brother or whatever as a child you don't want shit like that to sit through between episodes!
Old 9th April 2024, 16:10

Mood
Cynical

^ Everybody loves Raymond always gave me that boredom feeling.

I have also never seen Seinfeld. Sorry Genovese
Old 9th April 2024, 17:44

I too have never watched Seinfeld. Well, I'm sure I saw the odd episode as a kid when it had a graveyard slot on BBC 2, but other than that. Frasier I can only think of as something I'd watch in the morning if I'd managed to get a day off school (similarly Mad About You)

The Larry Sanders Show is something I always meant to give a try though. I didn't get it as a kid, but sort of enjoyed whenever Hank Kingsley was on screen. Never really enjoyed It's Gary Shandling's Show, again as a kid I didn't get the humour. Thinking about it, I watched so much 80s/90s American comedy as a wee lad and I don't think I found any of it funny. It was just cosy, somehow. Old American people saying stuff and the audience pissing themselves and young me not understanding anything.
Old 9th April 2024, 17:48

Late to the party with K-drama ‘The Glory’ on NFlix, but what a great watch.

‘Ripley’ on NFlix is a slow burn, but well worth your time. Sting’s non-binary child is awfully miscast as Freddie, and the actor who plays Dickie, Johnny Flynn, sung The Detectorists theme tune. Who knew?
Old 9th April 2024, 18:11

Stand back, everyone!

Genovese

Anyway, I need to get back to my healthy dinner! *Choo! Choo!*
Old 9th April 2024, 21:03

I was following every episode of Prisoner: Cell Block H on the 'That's TV 2' channel but the sods have taken it off without explanation. Not that I haven't seen every single episode before but I was bloody enjoying it
Old 9th April 2024, 21:40

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by genovese
^ Watch the entire Jeremy Brett ones. Looooooads better.

They're all on itvx and fantastic.
Yeah,. Jeremy Brett was to me, the very epitome of Holmes,
I have the box-set, watched it a few times,
that particular incarnation of Holmes cannot be bettered.
His dramatisation of Sherlock Holmes has a real charm and authenticity about it, a real homage to the character.
Old 15th April 2024, 09:10

Fallout. I've watched the first three episodes and I'm really enjoying it so far. It's good that they created a new story within the world of the games, rather than retelling a plot from the games. I think that's where shows/films based on games usually fail.
Old 15th April 2024, 09:55

Good to hear Fallout is worth watching, that sort of thing could have gone either way. A ghoul Walton Goggins, can't argue with that.

Watched some more of Sexy Beast, and oh dear, it's still lifting from the better writing of the film. It's even lifting from other Ray Winstone films!
Old 15th April 2024, 11:50

Also watching Fallout. Only seen the first episode so far but it has really surprised me how good this show is. It's perhaps too ultra-violent for me at times, but I feel it's worth it for what a huge upgrade from the Halo TV show it is.
Old 17th April 2024, 23:57

There's a documentary about Bottom on tomorrow night, but I don't know how to watch it. It's on Gold, but looking at what's available on my Samsung telly, it doesn't appear to be there. Is it a freeview channel? Do you still need a box for that? Is Freeview even still a thing? I think the channel's included with NowTV, but I don't fancy paying a tenner subscription to watch one show. WHY IS EVERYTHING SO CONFUSING
Old 18th April 2024, 08:19

^ Most likely it'll be on dailymotion soon after broadcast
Old 18th April 2024, 15:41

Ta, I might have to look out for an upload after it's broadcast. Dunno why I'm particularly fussed about seeing it as it goes out.

I watched the first couple of episodes of Fallout, and... ehhh. It hasn't really grabbed me so far. I think it's the peril of adapting video games, where if they aren't being faithful to the source material then what's the point, but if they are it can end up seeming a bit... stupid? Like watching a bunch of hour long cutscenes. I don't know, I'm probably just in one of my periodic 'Everything's crap, I should just stay in bed' moods.
Old 19th April 2024, 23:09

^ It took me a couple of eps to get into it but I'm quite enjoying it now. It definitely feels like they've captured the humour of the games well, and some of the visuals are spot on. The story itself is nothing to write home about so far but I'm difficult to impress.

I thought the partner was just watching it for my benefit but he said he's been enjoying it and he doesn't know anything about the games apart from what I annoyingly pointed out in the first few episodes. 'It's called a Pipboy.'
Old 21st April 2024, 08:06

As soon as I see that something new is on Amazon Prime, I'm immediately put off. It has the ITV effect on me. Both have burnt/bored me too many times.
Old 21st April 2024, 08:54

^ avoid scAmazon Grime like the plague, Biccies, it’s all complete gash rushed out to fill their slot quota (imho).
Old 23rd April 2024, 15:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appear
^ It took me a couple of eps to get into it but I'm quite enjoying it now. It definitely feels like they've captured the humour of the games well, and some of the visuals are spot on. The story itself is nothing to write home about so far but I'm difficult to impress.

I thought the partner was just watching it for my benefit but he said he's been enjoying it and he doesn't know anything about the games apart from what I annoyingly pointed out in the first few episodes. 'It's called a Pipboy.'
I finished this the other day and thought it was great overall, and I usually hate things like this. I was wondering how someone who isn't familiar with the games would enjoy it since quite a lot seems to rely on viewers already knowing the context.

There's plenty left unfinished too, so lots still to cover in the second season. Hopefully it won't go the same way as Westworld.
Old 23rd April 2024, 18:20

Baby Reindeer
Old 23rd April 2024, 18:53

Gonna watch Glitter: The Popstar Paedophile tonight on ITV1, 9pm.

He was a massive star when I was a kid in the seventies. Not such a star now.
Old 23rd April 2024, 18:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merritt
Is Freeview even still a thing?
I still have it.
Old 23rd April 2024, 22:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
Baby Reindeer
What did you think?

What a powerful series. Blimey
Old 24th April 2024, 14:26

I finished Baby Reindeer earlier. I thought it was okay, certainly nowhere near as good as the hype (though when is anything?). I found the narration was frequently hand-holding to an annoying extent, like the script from the play hadn't been adapted for television, so narration that would have made sense with no visuals and worked in a theatre just didn't on television when you're seeing everything. Also I found the ending (the scene in the bar) incredibly cheesy. Apart from that I liked it.
Old 24th April 2024, 15:23

Mood
Cynical

^ I watched it last week and i wasn't expecting it to be quite as full on as it was because i hadn't seen any of the reviews yet! I actually did think it was really good and thought provoking. Seeing the subject of stalking and assault from the point of view of a male victim is also pretty unusual, and it showed the complexity around it quite well.

I would recommend it but with major trigger warnings that some people might find the subject matter too triggering or extreme.
Old 24th April 2024, 15:23

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.Kzov
What a powerful series. Blimey
This was my reaction too.
Old 24th April 2024, 15:54

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
As soon as I see that something new is on Amazon Prime, I'm immediately put off. It has the ITV effect on me. Both have burnt/bored me too many times.
not sure what your tastes are for TV and such, but I've definitely enjoyed a couple of things from the Amazon stable.

Jack Ryan has been good, at least first 2 series were really good, third one is okay.
and first season of Jack Reacher was good.