SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 10th January 2009, 23:38

Mood
Brooding

Default VERY annoyed - internet dating website scam

GRRRRRRR!

Now that I've got that off my chest, I thought I'd say that I'm VERY pissed off with an internet dating website be2.com, (that I saw recommended on here, funnily enough!) that doesn't have anywhere on the site which allows me to cancel my membership. I only paid £5 for a month, stupidly not reading the small print which said that I would automatically be upgraded to a Premium membership for 6 months for £119 (!!!!!) and then when I sent an email to cancel it, all I got back was a bloody automated response. I also investigated elsewhere on the site and couldn't find ANYWHERE that allowed you to cancel. The only advice I could find actually gave instructions to answer questions on the site that didn't exist, and then some other contradictory information about sending a fax to cancel membership... It was all such UTTER CRAP. GRRR!! ARGHHH! It's my own stupid fault and the only way out of it that I can see is to get my bank to cancel the debit card I've got and send me a form to stop any further payments from them. (SIGHS*.)

Not the best start to 2009... At least it might make my SA improve a bit by making me become more assertive!
Old 11th January 2009, 00:55

Mood
In-Love

Default Re: VERY annoyed - internet dating website scam

thats harsh!!! i hope u get things sorted! i think u can actaully get intouch with some online sorta thing that can put a stop to this and get ur money bac too
Old 11th January 2009, 08:52

Mood
Creative

get intouch with your bank and cancel it!
Old 11th January 2009, 15:13

Mood
Shoveit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remus
get intouch with your bank and cancel it!

What he said!
Old 11th January 2009, 15:20
Banned

Mood
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikNox
GRRRRRRR!

Now that I've got that off my chest, I thought I'd say that I'm VERY pissed off with an internet dating website be2.com, (that I saw recommended on here, funnily enough!) that doesn't have anywhere on the site which allows me to cancel my membership. I only paid £5 for a month, stupidly not reading the small print which said that I would automatically be upgraded to a Premium membership for 6 months for £119 (!!!!!) and then when I sent an email to cancel it, all I got back was a bloody automated response. I also investigated elsewhere on the site and couldn't find ANYWHERE that allowed you to cancel. The only advice I could find actually gave instructions to answer questions on the site that didn't exist, and then some other contradictory information about sending a fax to cancel membership... It was all such UTTER CRAP. GRRR!! ARGHHH! It's my own stupid fault and the only way out of it that I can see is to get my bank to cancel the debit card I've got and send me a form to stop any further payments from them. (SIGHS*.)

Not the best start to 2009... At least it might make my SA improve a bit by making me become more assertive!

There should be a cooling off period in which you are entitled to change your mind.

If it is in the small print and you have gone over it then you can't use that argument.

If your still within the days you might be allowed to cancel.

this is how door to door stuff works in the uk but then this company could be registerd in another country.

I'd cancel my card and just open another account.

What are they going to do take you to court. It could be too much bad publicity for them to do that. I'd point this out to them if they insist.

Bluff them that's what i'd try before paying up.

I joined the folio book society last year based on an offer that looked too good to be true. the way they made it sound you could take the Atlas , and dictionaries and keep them if you changed your mind.

But then when you got them and the other letters came it became apparent that their use of language was quite ambigous and it would be nothing more than tantamount to stealing if you kept the goods.

And the atlas was so big and bulky along with the other items it seemed better just to spend more on books to fulfill an obligation than waste about 40.00 on postage sending them back. Better than to have nothing at all.

I've now got several very well bound and fancy titles that I haven't read and one of them I discovered last night has a printing flaw on it's fancy cover. They sent me one someone had sent back becuse the cover wasn't to the quality standard they say they are proud off. Too late now as I've had it for ages.

So i'm about 100.00 quid down and have a big atlas that is too enormous to be practical, a compact dictionary that isn't as good as the concise one i was trying to update as i like my meanings to the point and complete.

It happens to us all unfortunately when we let our guard down.

I just joined and cancelled a site called feedating.co.uk that i read about on here. fortunately they never asked for my bank details and i never gave them.

I hope I haven't been a fool and signed up to something just by clicking terms and conditions.

Still I can always use the argument that my non existent mates got a hold of my hotmail details and signed me up for a joke and that I know nothing whatsoever about it. It say's you can use this site 100 percent completely free no need for credit card details.

I'm getting paranoid now as I've been taken twice last year and am broke now.
Old 11th January 2009, 16:00

As others have said, i'd cancel the debit instruction at the bank, the website sounds dodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynchy
I just joined and cancelled a site called feedating.co.uk that i read about on here. fortunately they never asked for my bank details and i never gave them.

I hope I haven't been a fool and signed up to something just by clicking terms and conditions.
I was a member of that site too, for a year until i canceled my account at xmas, they never wanted any cash so dont worry about it
Old 11th January 2009, 16:39

After a quick search through Google, there are tons of people complaining about the exact same problem with be2; best do as Remus suggests and cancel (also look into reporting the company to some kind of standards authority).

It's always a good idea to do some research on companies through Google before giving over any amount of money or subscribing.
Old 16th March 2009, 15:43

My first post

Like others, I made the error and joined Be2 for a fiver in a moment of weakness. Next thing I know they've taken £120 out of my account. My own fault I guess although it is, as others have said, pretty misleading.

I knew they couldn't get more money out of me because my CC details were due to change anyway but this morning I get an email from Be2 threatening legal action. Quite frankly, if a poxy little company in Luxembourg wants to take me to court, great! At least then I'll be able to meet one of them face to face.

What a total and utter scam.

I feel a bit better now....
Old 16th March 2009, 19:58

Mood
Cloud_9

Is it one of these sites with fake profiles. I used some websites back in the day run by "White Label Dating" stay clear of them also, complete scams.
Old 17th March 2009, 09:54

As Sethy says, the problem with cancelling it through your bank or changing your card is that you agreed a contract saying you'll pay £119, so if they can't get it, they'll just threaten legal action until they do.

The chances they'd go to the effort of following it all through for a measly £120 is doubtful, but it will affect your credit.
Old 17th March 2009, 14:11

Mood
Inspired

There is such a thing as a "reasonable contract " .So despite what they may say i'm pretty sure that in English law if you cancel the areement in writing to the company ( which I think you did) within a short time they cant take you to court.
Old 17th March 2009, 14:19

Mood
Inspired

Is it one of these sites with fake profiles. I used some websites back in the day run by "White Label Dating" stay clear of them also, complete scams.

A friend tells me that white label is genuine. it does put its cancellation info in small print but closes your account immediately you contact them to ask for it to do so . there are some fake profiles and fake replies .but I think that occours on most sites and is not the fault of the site itself. They also keep up profiles of people who no longer subscribe which is a bit naughty but to ignore those check the banner that says when the person was last online.
Old 17th October 2009, 14:35

I to signed up for this site be2 last month for £5 but have now received a email saying i was automatically rebilled for £119 for six months membership. I eventually sent them a cancellation fax this week but have been told by email i was to late because they had already rebilled me. I had used a prepaid debit card so didn't lose any money. I did send a reply saying if i was to pay would you cancel to which they replied yes. Should i pay them or can they take me to court for non payment?
Old 18th October 2009, 03:21

Mood
Alienated

check the contract. at uni in law i learnt that if the price is not made clear when you apply you have a case because they should have told you they were going to take out a large sum of money
Old 31st October 2009, 09:33

Cool Re: VERY annoyed - internet dating website scam

White Label is owned by Global Personal Ltd in Windsor Berkshire. They supply the database and payment processing for a number of budding entrpreneurs.
who want to start their own dating site. Go to companies house and check out who the directors are on their free web search which is open until midnight every weekday.

Beware also of www.casualrelationships.co.uk - they use the same platform. At one stage I thought of setting myself up with them too, you can have a dating site within minutes.

In their terms and conditions when they say that "members may not be genuine" what they are actually saying is, be careful who you speak to as they might not be who they say they are. This is totally different to saying that they deliberately send out messages from known fake members, they don't but there are an awful lot of timewasters on the White Label Database. It's a bit like instant coffee it is costs under a quid then it is going to taste pretty awful.

You can tell if a dating site uses this database when you atre searching at the bottom of the screen will appear "whitelabeldating.app" - in other words it is a MySQL database around which you can write your own dating web application using their templates etc.

It is not a scam as such, but it is pretty close Global Personals do not vet the data on their database at all - avoid it anyway. Anyone who does not use a data cleansing service is obviously up to no good. They rely on you to report a particular members profile if you have a problem with it so far I have reported a few dozen.

Another one to watch out for although not related to the above is www.****buddies.com - now renamed just to "buddies" - another site with lots of people waiting to take advantage of you and waste your time. Nobody on these site from what I can see wants a relationship at all.

I managed to find out how to cancel a www.casualrelationships.co.uk membership but you do have to aske them to do it for you. There is nothing on the site to let you do it automatically. If they refuse to cancel then they are in breach of the law in the UK and these people probably do not want to be taken to court since they know they are in the wrong in the first place. I am still waiting for a reply from White Label Dating in Berkshire, which happens to be their European headquarters. Pay them a visit and tell them how you feel - Windsor is a lovely place and i am sure they would be quite embarrassed if a lot of single lonely hearts turned up outside their offices. Get 50 or 60 mates to help out and embarras the company into doing something about it. That usually works. Windsor is a lovely place too so the day won't be entirely wasted.

Last edited by jw1234; 31st October 2009 at 09:49. Reason: adding bits
Old 31st October 2009, 15:44

Mood
Bookworm

Contact the bank and get it cancelled.

Pigs,

Cx
Old 31st October 2009, 20:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diluted
What he said!
What he said.
Old 14th January 2010, 22:39

Angry Re: VERY annoyed - internet dating website scam

I have recently had bad experiences with a website called DatetheUK.

I joined for a month last summer, paying by credit card. When my subscription expired, it was renewed for another month without my consent. During these two months I didn't get any dates. While out of the country during the autumn, I continued to get approximately one e-mail a week to my mailbox on the website, apparently from women subscribers.

When I arrived back just after New Year, I decided to join again, despite doubts, to follow up the leads (dozen +). However, they all led nowhere. I noticed that the messages are usually quite short and are not signed off with names.

As I paid by Paypal this time, I believe that the firm cannot bill me again, but I am now convinced that a lot of women are being paid to make false advances to single males in order to induce them to pay subscriptions. This is probably going on in other sites. I would be interested to hear any similar stories.

As far as I am concerned, this is obtaining money by deception, which amounts to fraud. BEWARE!
Old 15th January 2010, 12:17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
I have recently had bad experiences with a website called DatetheUK.

I joined for a month last summer, paying by credit card. When my subscription expired, it was renewed for another month without my consent. During these two months I didn't get any dates. While out of the country during the autumn, I continued to get approximately one e-mail a week to my mailbox on the website, apparently from women subscribers.

When I arrived back just after New Year, I decided to join again, despite doubts, to follow up the leads (dozen +). However, they all led nowhere. I noticed that the messages are usually quite short and are not signed off with names.

As I paid by Paypal this time, I believe that the firm cannot bill me again, but I am now convinced that a lot of women are being paid to make false advances to single males in order to induce them to pay subscriptions. This is probably going on in other sites. I would be interested to hear any similar stories.

As far as I am concerned, this is obtaining money by deception, which amounts to fraud. BEWARE!
Usually with any subscription like this it states somewhere that after your stated subscription time i.e a month has expired it is your responsibility to notify them to cancel your subscription otherwise they will charge you again. It's common practice with most online sites like these. Make sure you read the Terms & Conditions before you join up to these sites.
Old 24th February 2010, 08:02

Hi
Some dating sites have got fake profiles on them which is fraudulent, also some are genuine.
Old 24th February 2010, 10:54

Mood
Creative

wooo spam!
Old 10th March 2010, 21:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon1989
I agree. I used singles365.dating (a part of White Label and Global Personals) and despite clicking on the option for one weeks' membership, 6 months payment was taken which they won't refund. Appalling fraudulent website. Steer clear!
Old 13th March 2010, 19:09

Mood
Spaced

okcupid is a free site that I think is pretty good, especially for younger people. I'm in a relationship now (with a guy I didn't meet online) but I had a few decent dates out of it,
Closed Thread