SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 8th November 2017, 14:41

Mood
Melancholy

Default ESA Medical

I don't usually start threads but I've got myself into a bit of a state

I received the dreaded ESA assessment form today, and it's taken me nearly three hours to recover from a panic attack. I've only got a few weeks to gather evidence for my claim so I'm going to have to ask my GP to write me a letter, and I'm worried that I won't be able to see her in time as it can take up to a month to get an appointment. There's no one else I can contact regarding this because I'm not seeing any therapists and I don't have a support worker.

I has been thirteen years since I last attended a face to face assessment, and it was extremely stressful, partly because the assessor was very rude and intimidating. She gave me zero points and declared me fit to work, and I was left without money for more than two months. With the help of my mother, my benefits were reinstated, but during that period I seriously considered committing suicide. The last time I filled in an ESA form was four years ago, and was put in the work related activity group without an assessment, which was then changed to the support group when I asked for a mandatory reconsideration.

I don't really have a problem filling out forms, but I think that I need some extra help because I have a feeling that I won't get away with not having a face to face assessment this time. I've been thinking about joining the benefits and work forum for £19:95 for the year, and was wondering if it will be worth it.

Has anyone else joined, and what kind of information do you have access to? Is it detailed or just general? It has supposedly helped thousands of people with their claims, and offers expert advice. I'm just very sceptical and don't want to get my hopes up if it turns out to be useless.

Thanks.
Old 8th November 2017, 16:21

Mood
Cynical

Default Re: ESA Medical

Sorry that you're having to go through this, it's an awful process.

I seem to remember that you can send medical evidence separate from the ESA form, so you could put your doctor's details on the form and send that in so it gets there within the time limit and then send the letter from your doctor as soon as you get it. (You might want to check the documents with the forms to make sure of this though!)
Old 8th November 2017, 18:29

Mood
Busy

I joined the Benefits & Work forum a few years ago and it does offer some good advice and info. I've had to go through these dreaded assessments a few times and like you I get into a terrible state. Any dealings with the DWP make me quite ill. My advice would be to make an appointment with a welfare rights worker, there should be one at your local CAB or MIND. They can help you fill in the form as they know how the DWP think! As for your letter from the GP you can send it on later as long as you let the assessors know that you are going to be sending it. Good luck with it all, I know just how you feel.
Old 8th November 2017, 18:50
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

I've been assessed just on paper the last few times. The form seemed to be enough for them. I do have a counsellor and a contact at MIND that I can list as ppl I see but I've not sent any new documentary evidence the last few times along with my ESA50 form.

MIND can be very good at helping support a claim or sometimes other local organisations - near me the Richmond Fellowship have a drop in service for benefit problems and mental health conditions.

Benefits and work is a good site, I haven't used the guides themselves but I've had a look at the PIP one and it does seem very comprehensive.
Old 8th November 2017, 20:27

Just wishing you all the best with your form filling and assessment.
Old 8th November 2017, 20:32

Mood
Creative

I've found this facebook group a great help: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Esadla/
Old 9th November 2017, 11:28

Mood
Melancholy

Thanks so much everyone for your replies

I've decided to join the Benefits and Work forum - I'll get a postal order and send it later. I'm still going to see my GP because I haven't seen her for a few years, and I need some beta blockers to help with my anxiety. My mum said she'd make me an appointment when she can get through to them.

I'm also looking into getting an advocate, as I'll really need one if I've got to have a face to face assessment. My mum's great at dealing with people but if she was with me I think I'd downplay my issues, which would count against me.
Old 9th November 2017, 11:36

^ Your mom could go with you for support but you could go in to the room on your own so you can be completely honest about your struggles. I do think it's best to go with someone because sometimes going on your own makes it appear that you are coping well, which isn't the case, looks can be deceiving.
Old 9th November 2017, 13:12

Mood
Melancholy

^ That happened when I had an assessment in 2004 - my mum went with me but waited in reception. I got the report just one day later with zero points! The "doctor" who assessed me said that I was clean and tidy, and that I had no problems communicating, despite the fact that I was shaking and stumbling over my words. We challenged that and won, but it was unbelievably stressful.

They really do take you at face value, it's the same when trying to access mental health services; if you don't look scruffy and dirty they don't think there's anything wrong with you.

I understand why we need to be assessed, I just hate the way that it's done.
Old 14th November 2017, 20:18

Mood
Melancholy

My mum phoned the surgery today to make me an appointment, and was told that my doctor had left the practice She was so understanding, kind and competent - unlike the doctors I've seen before.

I've been assigned another one and I see her in a couple of weeks. I just hope that like my previous doctor, she'll be prepared to write me a letter to send with my ESA form (I know that they don't all do that) or I'm screwed because there's no one else qualified to do so. I did ask the therapist I saw a few years ago if she'd consider writing me a letter, or if I could contact her in the future if I needed one but she was always rather sniffy when I mentioned benefits, and didn't seem to want to discuss it.

I'm going to just play it by ear now, and try not to worry too much until I know the outcome.
Old 14th November 2017, 20:59

Mood
Shoveit

^ hope it all goes okay for you. These things are so set up to fit their needs not the patients.
Old 14th November 2017, 21:04

Mood
Melancholy

^Thank you
Old 16th January 2018, 20:36

Mood
Melancholy

Got a letter today saying that I have to attend an assessment, and they've ignored my request for a home visit. My GP will write me a letter but I'm not sure it'll work this time because they keep changing the goalposts

I contacted an advocate organisation today too (by email), but they said that they don't deal with benefits and that they'd pass my details on to someone who could help, so hopefully it won't take too long.

I have recently discovered that I have other (non mental health related) problems including high blood pressure which is more added stress. Strangely enough, I'm not all that bothered about about possibly dying (jumping the gun, I know) ending up in hospital worries me more.
Old 16th January 2018, 20:43

^ I hope you get on okay with your assessment and hospital appointments.