SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 6th July 2014, 22:27

Mood
Alienated

Default Decision making

One of the things I find most frustrating about my anxiety is decision making.

Pretty much every decision I am faced with, my gut instinct is 'NO DON'T DO IT!', even though some of my decisions turn out to be good ones.

I've had to make a few decisions recently, where my gut instinct was not to do it. But I have ignored my gut instinct and gone through with it. I don't know how these decisions will turn out yet, but I always worry I should trust my instinct at times like these.

But, I don't know if I should ever trust my gut instinct, or if its just anxiety taking control of everything. I like to think its just anxiety taking over, as some of the decisions I've made where I was originally very sceptical, have turned out to be good ones.

Anyway, just something which really frustrates me. Anyone else feel the same? (I'm guessing so, this is an anxiety forum after all! )
Old 6th July 2014, 22:30

Default Re: Decision making

I have always been indecisive and I hate it. I always have to weigh up all the options and compare alternatives and even then I can't decide. It frustrates the hell out of me tbh
Old 7th July 2014, 07:49

I cant make a decision to save my life, - i get overwhelmed just trying to decide what to have for dinner and tea everyday. Its too tiring overthinking on every decision i have to make. Luckily i have to wear a uniform for work, or i wouldn't know what to wear. Some things i put off for as long ad i can, until i can cope with thinking through the options, like decorating, painting, or wallpapering, what colour - so many colours i like, a feature wall, or 2, so that would mean picking 2 colours... Hmm, just too stressful!
Old 7th July 2014, 09:52

Mood
Alienated

Useless! hate it, i spend an age weighing up all the options and i get it wrong so these days i just go with my gut feeling, still get more wrong than right but it is better.
A lot of my regrets come from making the wrong major decisions in my life but i am so bad that even in a cafe if i look at a menu and see two things that i like i will pick the wrong one. I did this so often with my ex that she started to pick my other option just to see if it was ok, i can remember the first time she did this as plain as day. It was in bridlington, the two i could not choose between were home made steak pie or home made spag bol. I went for the spag bol and it had no taste what so ever, so bland it was unbelievable, the steak pie she had was perfect, lovely pieces to steak, no fat and a nice pastry.
Old 7th July 2014, 11:53

It's taken me over a decade just to decide which career to pursue, still have no idea. I end up working any job I can get. Then you end up meeting people ten years younger who are further ahead.
Old 7th July 2014, 13:04

Mood
Tired

I completely suck at making decisions,
but I often wonder if it's just a way for me to stall doing anything,
I think that as long as I'm doing something that's a healthy start,
it's something I need to tell myself more, as I've been doing nothing on the decision front lately.
I've turned my fear of making big decisions into an excuse for not doing anything really.
I was asked to organise my passport over a year ago,. and I'm still slowly doing it bit by bit,. seems like I can't stick with any task and see it through to the end.

often,. the thing with decisions is that I can see both sides of the coin, and both often seem equally valid,.
sometimes I think I'm just scared I'll regret not taking some route I could have taken,
so, it's not necessarilly fear of deciding stuf,. it's probably fear of regretting stuff.. lol
Old 8th July 2014, 09:48

Mood
Gloomy

Another classic symptom of depression.
Old 8th July 2014, 12:53

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldFish
It's taken me over a decade just to decide which career to pursue, still have no idea. I end up working any job I can get. Then you end up meeting people ten years younger who are further ahead.
I still can't decide what to pursue for a career. It's depressing seeing people younger than me who seemingly have a lot of freedom and independence, who have careers that take them to different places, while I'm stuck in some greasy kitchen.
Old 8th July 2014, 18:52

Nope can't do this really

Whenever I have been decisive, as far as I can remember, I have always got it wrong (it's not that often I can make a quick decision).
Old 8th July 2014, 21:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat36
Pretty much anything I think of doing that is outside my daily routine is met with an initial NO by default lol. However, sometimes I can turn that NO round to a YES in a few minutes. Other times I need to spend days changing it. I have devised my own little NO to YES scale based on my personal experience lol This is how my brain responds and then changes over time to challenging situations

1.No F****g chance (this is normally reserved for a full blown panic lol)
2 Not now but I'll think about it for one day when I feel more ready
3 Maybe at some point soon
4 Ok, I'll have a go and see what happens
5 Well, it was ok last time so i'll try again
6 Yup lets go
Great reply Nat36 My brain seems to be stuck on the default setting of 'NO!' I've listened to it for too long now and can't seem to think things through or think about not listening to it. I like the no to yes scale and whilst I can go from 1 to 6 I always go back to 1 again