SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 4th September 2019, 19:11

Default Struggled to learn at school, still affects me

I was bullied throughout my childhood at school and because of it I never paid attention/had very little interest in learning and did badly in school. Therefore my general knowledge is poor and I really struggle to learn and remember new things. I also often don't understand words or common expressions and it's part of the reason my social anxiety is so bad, because I worry people will think I'm stupid. I've had experiences in the past in social situations where I made an idiot out of myself and people laughed at me for not knowing/not understanding something.

I know there is already a post about sharing YouTube videos, but does anyone have any recommendations for videos that might help to improve general knowledge? Or any books that are easy to read??

Last edited by Marie8; 4th September 2019 at 19:17. Reason: i
Old 4th September 2019, 19:23

Default Re: Struggled to learn at school, still affects me

There is a popular app called skillshare that is good for learning and improving knowledge. Also one called brilliant but that one is geared towards science and maths. Good for you good luck!
Old 4th September 2019, 19:29

Mood
Relaxed

You could play word based games on your phone. There are lots of free games that revolve around words or phrases.

I used to subscribe to a few Arrowword magazines, these were fun and helped with general knowledge and vocabulary.

General knowledge is basically endless, so hard to recommend any particular resource that covers it. You could just get an encyclopedia and read through that, then get further books on any subjects that interest you.

I've posted a few YouTube channels in my thread with broad content, such as Joe Scott, Today I Found Out and Kurzgesagt. If you check the list of recommended videos on any of their videos, you should find other similar channels.
Old 5th September 2019, 18:15

Thank you, I'd head about skillshare and have now got a 2 month free trial. That's a really good idea about getting an encyclopedia, am going to order one off Amazon. Thanks for the suggestions I find when I'm stressed out I just can't think clearly and even searching online for books and videos etc. can be difficult.
Old 6th September 2019, 18:21

Me too I couldn't concentrate on the work because of anxiety and played truant more than I went to school.
Old 6th September 2019, 20:40

^^ Wikipedia is often a good place to start on many subjects. You could also try The Great Courses, I have found them excellent, but they are a serious investment/commitment. Good luck!
Old 10th September 2019, 21:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea
Marie, is there a public library you can visit?

They'll have a variety of encyclopedias there, books on everything, at all levels, and maybe audio-books that can be listened-to along with reading the text for vocabulary; also newspapers, for headlines/current events and local events and issues.

On YouTube there's a great variety of audiobooks - just had a quick look, and I see my own favourites like Agatha Christie's Poirot, Ian Fleming's Bond books, and books by P.G.Wodehouse are there.

I think that anything that exercises the mind in various ways - word-games, card-games, puzzles, art, music, arithmetic, dance-steps or exercise-routines - will add to the mind's flexibility and capacity for new things.

Good on you for beginning this quest, and very best wishes!
I might try some of these.
Old 10th September 2019, 23:11

Thanks limey, I'm really interested in doing an online course sometime. I'm going to mention the Great Courses to my mum also as she was talking about doing an online history course.

Galatea, yes, I do have a local library and that's a really good idea, thanks. I just feel a bit awkward going as I need a new library card. But I'm going to push myself to do it as it will get me out more and I can maybe try speaking to the librarians about where I can find a certain book etc. I will check our YouTube audio videos too. I've downloaded a few puzzle and word games on my phone which I'm trying to do each day.

Thanks so much for your replies and suggestions, I appreciate it so much
Old 11th September 2019, 07:02

Mood
Gloomy

School was a difficult time for many people including myself.
I would not beat yourself up to much about your struggles at school with learning.
Everyone has different abilities and just because you struggled then does not mean that you are not capable.

Have a look at Open Learn which is part of The Open University.

It has short courses in a range of subjects and maybe may pique your interest in something.
Assumes no previous knowledge with Level 1 (Introductory), Level 2 (Intermediate) and Level 3 (Advanced).

Try reading newspapers for current affairs.

With books I would suggest finding something that you are interested in.
It will be easier to keep your interest with a chosen book in a favored topic rather than a easy read.

I also read the BBC Long Reads from time-to-time for some quirky stories.
Old 7th October 2019, 23:27

Some good ideas here. Hope you're ok Marie.
Old 12th October 2019, 23:49

Thanks Bluebear Tbh I feel pretty crappy. Hope you're ok