SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 14th December 2020, 10:42

Mood
Tired

Default Re: Small things that annoy you (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiouslondoner
In the few opportunities I've had to drink Champagne, I've always wondered what the appeal of this bitter fizzy drink is. It does get you drunk though. Maybe the problem is that the Champagne I was drinking just isn't good enough Champagne! But that leads down a rabbit-hole of greater expenditure with little benefit. I know what I like to drink. Thankfully it isn't that expensive. If that excludes me from certain social groups, so be it, we wouldn't get along anyway.
you do know I was avin' a larf…. right?

I can barely afford to pay the bills, never mind scoffing caviar and champers
Old 15th December 2020, 13:02

Mood
Tired

Every time I come across lanes being blocked off for "roadworks " there's never anyone actually doing anything,...
There's massive, frustrating queues, yes, ..but no work actually going on.

This is just about every time I've came across roadworks,..
There's usually a couple of guys sitting in a van looking on their mobile, but nowt else.
Old 15th December 2020, 13:22

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiouslondoner
In the few opportunities I've had to drink Champagne, I've always wondered what the appeal of this bitter fizzy drink is. It does get you drunk though. Maybe the problem is that the Champagne I was drinking just isn't good enough Champagne! But that leads down a rabbit-hole of greater expenditure with little benefit. I know what I like to drink. Thankfully it isn't that expensive. If that excludes me from certain social groups, so be it, we wouldn't get along anyway.
I don't think I've ever had champagne, but I think if something's going to be fizzy it should atleast taste nice aswell!
Old 15th December 2020, 14:00

I've never had a champagne that I thought tasted nice, it's always been something to tolerate when I've been handed a glass at a wedding or somewhere. I've tried a wide variety of it too, but it's never nice. It almost feels like a joke I'm not in on... I assume everyone else loves it and that I must be the one who's wrong about it since people always make a big deal out of it and use it for special occasions, but if you ask everyone else drinking it with you if they actually like it nobody else seems to either I'd rather just have a nice white wine than something that tastes like someone has farted in a glass of Lambrini.
Old 16th December 2020, 09:54

Mood
Breezy

Am i the only one here who likes the taste of champagne?
Old 16th December 2020, 11:04

Mood
Dreaming

only with orange juice.
i don't appreciate any types of wine either, although i do use red wine often when cooking.

if i drink which is rare. i prefer a scotch thats old enough to order it's own scotch :D
Old 16th December 2020, 11:40

Mood
Cynical

I don't like any wine either. Well, the only kind of wine I've tried that I liked was ginger wine.
Old 16th December 2020, 11:48

Old 16th December 2020, 14:00

The first week of the first lockdown a few neighbours started to take everyone's bins to the end of the street and lining them up the night before they were going to be collected. Presumably this was started as some kind of "we're all in this together" gesture. I don't really understand the reasoning behind it and it seems a bit silly for that to be the case, but I'm guessing the timing of it means it must be related to that in some way. For the six years I lived here before this routine I would take my bin out to the pavement the night before it was to be collected or early that same morning, then bring it back from that same position once it had been emptied. It was easy and it's what everyone else in the country seems to do. The amount of effort involved from me stayed the same when the neighbours decided to move the bins to one end of the street and back, since they would move it and bring it back from the same place I've always put it, so I didn't really care what they did.

However, the time they do this has been getting earlier and earlier as the year has gone on. It was around 11pm originally and they would check again in the morning to see if anyone had done it since the night before. They did it at 3pm yesterday and they no longer check the following morning. The problem is if you don't put your bin out before they've decided to line them up you either have to take it all the way to the end of the street yourself or, if you don't do that because you didn't know if the neighbours had already taken them all, your bin isn't collected that week because the workers have obviously learned that the only bins that need doing are the ones at the end of the street. It's so stupid! Nobody asked for this to happen. What started as an empty gesture to make the lives of bin collectors mildy easier has just made things more annoying for everyone. I don't understand why a couple of residents want this routine to be part of everyone's lives.
Old 16th December 2020, 15:59

^^^^^I like it, but it's not that amazing it's worth the money to me. Gives you a nice drunk. Or does it? Probably it's nostalgia from various times gone by and the celebration associations.
Old 16th December 2020, 18:04

I don't know how it will end - it feels like it's a case of they started out with good intentions but carried on doing it for so long that they'd feel bad about stopping. They obviously can't really be bothered anymore though. It's just turned a normal household task that I never even thought about into a weekly source of annoyance and anxiety. A few times this year my bin wasn't emptied because it wasn't taken to the end of the street with the others and I had to contact the council and ask them to come back. I can get away with it not being taken sometimes since I live on my own so don't generate too much waste, but it shouldn't be something that happens and it makes more work for the council. It's so annoying dragging a bin down a dark street too, I had to take it along the middle of the road last night because some cars were parked half on the pavement a few houses away. Grrrrrr!
Old 17th December 2020, 17:57

^This would irritate me too. Why, for the love of God? I suppose it will stop when all this is over.
Old 18th December 2020, 11:17

We have communal bins where residents think it's okay to dump anything they don't want, including mattresses and furniture. They don't break down boxes to put in the recycling bins, they just dump them on top of the bins and bags of rubbish are left on the floor for animals to scavenge through. Yesterday I nearly fell over because someone has left large chunks of concrete in the middle of the bin area.
Old 18th December 2020, 15:34

Yeah, it's sheer laziness unfortunately and disregard for other people that have to use the same area. Someone tidies it every so often, I don't know whether it's the bin men or not but that's not really their job.
Old 18th December 2020, 18:37

Mood
Tired

Saucepan and frying pan lids coming apart,
The glass ones are the worst, the top of the lid comes away from the glass, or the handle comes apart all too frequently,
And when you mooch about the shops looking for a lid there's precious few,

I liked Spanish hardware shops, usually run by Chinese, they have tons of lids available, all different sizes, those places are amazing, .
But here,..nothing, if you want a lid, you're buying a whole new pan Matey,
Old 18th December 2020, 21:03

^I agree
Old 19th December 2020, 19:47
Global Moderator

Mood
Scared

Shoppers who wear a face mask without covering their nose!
Have these humans suddenly evolved to only breathe through their mouth?
Or are they just muppets?
Old 22nd December 2020, 13:46

Copped an eyeful of my topless self in the mirror today and realised there are probably bras that would snuggly fit me. Love and respect to all bra wearers of any gender, but I don't want to be one.
Old 22nd December 2020, 17:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;2498888
do you moisturise them in the winter? Dry skin in the winter is very common, and especially now we are using hand gels and washing our hands a lot.
Aveeno is really good, it's got oats in it which is great for skin. I make my son a soak for his hands with just the liquid from warming up oats and some honey. It's very soothing, his hands are all sore and cracked from over washing
I got a deal on some Aveeno hand moisturiser, which has helped a lot, thanks!
Old 23rd December 2020, 11:30

Fragrance adverts.
Old 24th December 2020, 04:14

Old 24th December 2020, 11:55

Soundcloud adverts. Luckilly I've found the Brave browser that doesn't require you to watch ads.
Old 24th December 2020, 21:38

^ Do you have problems drying your washing?
Old 24th December 2020, 23:03

Mood
Cynical

^ Same. So many things hung about by radiators.
Old 24th December 2020, 23:43

^^ How do you dry things?
Old 25th December 2020, 00:01

I have to crank up the heat in this place or use the tumbler if i want things dried in good time. The previous place i was at had a perfect natural temperature range where i could hang it all up on an airer in the bedroom and, so long as i kept the window open, it would dry within the course of a day.
Old 29th December 2020, 09:50

Just wondering how the government expects people on JSA or ESA to buy food, clothing and heat their homes.

A cold weather payment by the end of March isn't much help now. Also it doesn't help when the energy companies take a daily standing charge.

*Please don't quote
Old 29th December 2020, 19:00

When my iPhone automatically lowers the volume of my headphones. I need to turn that setting off.
Old 29th December 2020, 19:33
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

^^ Yeah sadly I think the government is in la la land. Universal credit's even worse.
Old 29th December 2020, 20:05

Mood
Cynical

^^^ It's really hard for people and like Mo34 says, universal credit is even worse. They've given people an extra £20 a week to help during covid, but that stops next year too. It's awful for elderly people too.