SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 8th October 2021, 18:14

Default What do you like about yourself?

What do you like about yourself?

It could be your knowledge, aspects of your personality, your nature, your skills....anything!

GO!
Old 8th October 2021, 20:35

Default Re: What do you like about yourself?

^ Have you tried submitting any to literary agencies D? I’m doing a last tidy up of a 98k word (i.e. far too long!) young adult comedy novel I’ve dipped in and out of over the last eight years or more and am ready to do the familiar round of submission and rejection or no reply at all, which is more the norm these days. Sadly it still has me laughing out loud after eight years of drafting and editing, so it’s possibly got something, even though the arse has fallen out of the young adult book market of late. I’m sure the neighbours think I’m mad hearing these sudden laughter outbursts every so often.

To answer Biscuits’ question - absolutely frickin’ everything, I’m unique and quite amazing.
Old 8th October 2021, 20:37

What's the word limit for a post?

Only joking, I don't need to list all my wonderful attitudes because the thing I most like about myself is the modesty which stops me from believing I'm as brilliant as I really am!

Real answer: the big toe on my left foot is absolutely outstanding - well, it's pretty average but that's outstanding compared to the rest of me.
Old 8th October 2021, 20:45

Mood
Cynical

Um, I try to be fair.....I think the thing most people would probably say about me is "she tries" lol.

Also I am nice to animals.
Old 9th October 2021, 01:15

Mood
Tired

I can be a nice person sometimes I suppose. I would do anything for the people I love which I guess is good

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
Old 9th October 2021, 06:54

I don't particularly like myself at all.
The thing I do like is that colleagues at work approach me for help more often than not knowing I'm patient and understanding when they have questions.
Old 9th October 2021, 10:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamonD
I think i'd be sued if i put out a book. I'd have to change some names at least. And some of the words i use would have been Okay in the 90's but not in this PC snowflake society.

I can totally see them as a BBC3 comedy. Some days they have me crying with laughter
Same issue I had, but managed to PC-proof it courtesy of some tweaks
Old 9th October 2021, 17:13

Polite
Thoughtful
Caring
Understanding
Just amazing!

I would also like to dedicate a song to myself. Which is something that I rarely do. If at all! And something that should be done more often of course!

Although before I do make that song dedication to myself. I would like to type highly about myself for a minute or two. Possibly even 3 minutes.

Now there have been a few famous quotes over the years that have expressed self promotion in a negative way. Such as:

“Self praise is no praise at all”

and

“A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush”

Although that last quote might not be entirely related to self praise.

But still

I think self praise can be beneficial at times. Or maybe at all times? Who knows? I'm not sure? But for this one time, I think it should be fine. So I would like to gush about myself for a while. To the point where a mop and a bucket might be needed after all of the gushing I intend to do! There will be a lot of gushing is what I am trying to convey!

Chess&Junkfood (aka myself) is a truly amazing member on this forum! There are even times when I forget that I am Chess&Junkfood. And when that happens, and I haven't logged into the forum for a while, I start to feel disappointed when I don't see any recent posts by Chess&Junkfood. Only to then realise that I am Chess&Junkfood! Well, you can imagine my embarrassment when that happens!

I would gush some more, but it turns out that I am already gushed out! And here's me thinking that I had more gush in me!

Anyway

I would now like to dedicate this song to Chess&Junkfood (aka myself)

And after all of this praise to myself, one thing is for sure. I am definitely going to get lucky with myself tonight!
Old 9th October 2021, 20:18

Mood
Cynical

^^ You deserve that praise and song dedication
Old 9th October 2021, 20:36

^
Old 9th October 2021, 22:00

Mood
Musical

I'm me, i treat people like how i like to be treated but i struggle how i look...
Old 11th October 2021, 22:11

Mood
Spaced

^ Just came here to say something similar. I like being me, despite everything.

I'm caring, a good listener, I have high empathy towards others...

I'm INFJ, and honestly, knowing what MBTI I belong to has helped me out immensely? It's kind of like: "Oh, so this why I'm this and that."

It's taken so long to acknowledge the fact... But, I like who I am!

I have a strong sense of justice and independence, even though SA makes it so difficult for me, I claw myself out of dark situations no matter what. I survived depression! I am surviving anxiety! I am surviving society!

Old 11th October 2021, 22:51

Mood
Alienated

I will try and be positive as much as possible, which is quite tricky for me (wait, I’ve already ruined it in that very sentence! )

Anyway, I think the following are my positives.
* I’ve embraced my niche interests and don’t really care what people think of them now.
* I care about the environment, and try to do as much as I can.
* I care about animals
* I’m really good with maps and directions
* I’m willing to try new experiences, new food etc.
* I’m good with children, especially those with autism, ADHD, dyslexia and dyspraxia.
* I have a good sense of humour.
Old 11th October 2021, 23:35

This is a very nice thread idea - it's really nice to read about what people like about themselves.

I like my drive to learn about stuff, my semi-competence at writing, my ability to withhold judgement and take others' perspectives (most of the time), and how effectively I can deliver a line deadpan.

I partly like my scepticism and critical thinking ability - though their focus has often been misplaced...
Old 11th October 2021, 23:44

I find it really difficult to say or even think anything positive about myself, so this will probably be doused in very cautious language.
I have a good brain. It's kept me in a good job for the last twenty years.
I am a kind person, I feel empathy for others.
I generally try to put other people before myself.
I am very independent. I have managed alone for a long time and try to do anything by myself before resorting to asking for help.
I have a good sense of humour, mostly.
I care a lot about my family. I especially love my little nephew, and my sister.
I am keen to help when I can, if I can.
Old 14th October 2021, 18:24
Banned at own request

nothing much, I haven't received any positive reinforcement, validation or praise for anything in life. and I can't remember the last time anyone who knew me said anything positive about me to me. so I can only conclude I don't have any value to others.
Old 15th October 2021, 08:21

Mood
Fine

My empathy for both other human beings and animals, which I didn't have a lot of during childhood oddly. I think my discomfort around other children as soon as I started going to school made me dislike them and not care that much. It does go to show that people can change later in life.

Being very sensitive can have both its upsides and its downsides - empathy on the one hand, anxiety on the other.
Old 15th October 2021, 09:44

I've already contributed a comedic answer to this thread, but I should offer a serious one too - the problem is that, although there are many things I like about myself (these days - it wasn't always so), I am hesitant about expressing them "out loud" to others; I do think that modesty is a virtue - and one which, by the end of this post, most who read it will think I don't possess! Anyway, here goes:

I am resilient and persistent (stubborn?!): I don't think I would have survived this long, or managed to change my life in recent years, otherwise.
I am self-sufficient, self-motivated, driven (obsessive?!) and independent: perhaps it stems from the lack of peer acceptance in my younger years, but I've been able to make decisions and act on them alone - I've never let solitude hold me back and I don't rely on external validation (although I do welcome it).
I'm caring, empathetic and try to help others whenever I can.
I'm loyal, loving and forgiving.
I'm open (although I have managed to suppress my tendency to overshare) and honest (but tactful).
I will stand up for what I believe is right.
I try to listen to the perspectives of others and am aware that truth is not absolute, but subjective.
My social skills are improving and for the first time in my life, I am able to put people at ease (after a lifetime of making people uncomfortable), I'm a good listener and I know when to start and stop talking (after a lifetime of either being silent or launching into endless monologues); I am able to read and respond to non-verbal cues (most of the time).
I have been able to put my past behind me, live in the present and look to the future.
I am optimistic.
I have a good sense of humour (although often too dry for some) and a quick wit.
I'm intelligent (although I don't feel it, this is external validation at work - to me, I'm of average intelligence) and like to think that I am self-aware.
I am very good at budgeting, which is how I am able to do so much on my income.
I know when to stop writing lists of my qualities (clearly untrue, otherwise this list would be half this length).
Old 15th October 2021, 10:30

Mach was Du willst, die Leute reden sowieso!
(Do what you please as people will talk anyway).
Old 15th October 2021, 12:48
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuq

Not getting positive reinforcement or validation as a child is absolutely no reflection of that child's self worth or their self worth as they grow up, instead it's a reflection of the adults in their life who, for whatever reasons, are not adequate to parent.

I don't know you to know what your qualities are, but I can guarantee that strength and resilience will be in there as that's a tough way to grow up.
thanks, it goes beyond a dysfunctional childhood really into other areas of life. I wish I was more resilient, I am not entirely sure where I fall on that spectrum? there are times when people have told me I should leave situations that I have stuck with and there are times where I should have stuck with things and I left. so I am a bit all over the place really. sorry if I have been a bit negative for this thread.
Old 7th February 2022, 13:33

I still don't particularly like anything about myself but anxiety is so much less than it has ever been
Old 7th February 2022, 17:53

^ Miss Katie!! It's great to see you back! How have you been?
Old 7th February 2022, 18:45

Awww thanks folks! <3
You're all very sweet
Old 10th February 2022, 16:42

Mood
Breezy

Good to see you back MissKatie
Old 14th June 2022, 01:40

Mood
Tired

RE OP "what do you like about yourself"

Note, this thread is not meant as a comparison. Anything you like about yourself, anything that you're proud of. If you can't think of anything, that's fine. You're not being judged.
Old 1st July 2022, 20:52

Zilch.
Old 2nd July 2022, 00:01

My practical skills...I might have f@#£ all social skills but I've yet to find a practical thing that I can't do well. Maybe it's like rainman but instead of counting cards I can put up shelves.
Old 2nd July 2022, 07:10

^^ B, do you have any things that you've made from wood that you'd like to share on here?
(Don't worry if not!)

^ you're really knowledgable about practical things too. Like if google went down you could be an offline replacement.
Old 2nd July 2022, 07:42

^I'm too old and lazy to figure out how to post a photo on a forum again. I'd forgotten how antiquated forums are.
Old 2nd July 2022, 07:50

It would be handy to have an upload button. The newer versions of vbullentin have that feature, but it must be a costly thing to do!