SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 29th August 2014, 19:30
Banned at own request

Default Buying a new phone? What phone do you have & Why did you choose it?

Do you prefer payg or contract?

I think it's about time I invested in a new phone. My phone is a samsung galaxy y, the memory is rubbish, specs aren't that good but then again it's a budjet smartphone I have owned for two years.

I never been on a phone contract. Contract seems affordable, but the fact you have to pay a certain amount for your phone every month seems a bit off putting for me. Payg seems expensive, but then it's a one off cost then top ups, so in the long run it seems a bit cheaper for me. I use my phone mainly for the internet and mostly use my houses wifi anyways.

I defo don't want to buy a Samsung or iphone. I have heard Windows phone is fast and actually reliable. But tbh the lack of apps and personalistion puts me off from windows phone a bit. I don't think Windows phone would be that bad though, considering I don't use many apps.

I'm thinking, as I don't want a new budget phone with limited specs, I might as well get a 1 or 2 year old smartphone that was decent or high end when it was released. I'm thinking of getting a Nexus 4 or something. I need to watch more reviews though. I would most likely get an Android, I might end up getting a Windows phone though.
Old 29th August 2014, 20:09

Default Re: Buying a new phone? What phone do you have & Why did you choose it?

I own an iPhone 4s and has been the worst decision I've ever made. Power button broke within 3 months, crashes constantly and extremely unreliable signal.

I never had any of this with my android phone so when contracts due up in October I'll be switching to a samsung galaxy or Sony Xperia
Old 3rd September 2014, 22:50

I have Samsung phone, I love it :-)
Old 3rd September 2014, 23:18

Galaxy note 3. Amazing phone.
Old 3rd September 2014, 23:20
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_
I have a new Moto G, really excellent phone - apart from the camera. Great performance, screen and features, all for £150ish for the 8GB 4G version.
I got the same phone now. A good improvement from the galaxy Y. I like the live wallpapers as well.
Old 3rd September 2014, 23:32

I've got a Moto E. It came with a Tesco mobile contract. For a cheap phone it's actually pretty good and it gets good reviews except for the camera.
My old phone was a ten year old Nokia so it's like something straight out of the future to me. Things have changed a lot.
Old 4th September 2014, 00:10

Mood
Tired

I had a second-hand Sony Xperia SP, but I tried to remove an annoying speck of dust underneath the screen. Long story short, I damaged the ribbon cable, and hosed the touchscreen.

I've replaced it with a second-hand Moto G. It may not be as fast as the Xperia SP spec-wise, but it still handles what I've thrown at it adequately. I like the fact that it comes with almost stock Android, instead of the crap other manufacturers add to their phones.
Old 4th September 2014, 00:16
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gipsy Danger
iPhone 5s, best smartphone I've owned. Had a Samsung Galaxy S3 before and it was a dreadful phone.

I don't understand how Samsung's high end designs even pass the drawing board stage.
I don't mind iphone and like it's design but I just prefer androids interface to iOS. Samsung's new phones coming out seem more premium design wise. But I don't think Samsung is meant to really look premium. I would agree the s5 looks bad, but to me it seems the phone was designed more for specs and practicality than aesthetics. I don't own an s5 btw so might be wrong.
Old 4th September 2014, 00:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexagonSun
I had a second-hand Sony Xperia SP, but I tried to remove an annoying speck of dust underneath the screen. Long story short, I damaged the ribbon cable, and hosed the touchscreen.

I've replaced it with a second-hand Moto G. It may not be as fast as the Xperia SP spec-wise, but it still handles what I've thrown at it adequately. I like the fact that it comes with almost stock Android, instead of the crap other manufacturers add to their phones.
I moved from an iPhone to a Moto G. Best decision in ages. Finally I can customise, play about with the OS and download apps that allow me to use P2P. I hate Apple's babying, closed eco-system approach.
Old 4th September 2014, 09:18

I got the Moto G, Upgraded from a Nokia lumia 620. I wouldn't bother with windows phones, the app store on it is appalling, and the battery use (at least for my phone) was awful, Really liking the Moto G so far, especially because I can sync up all my google chrome stuff/gmail stuff, on my laptop, tablet, and phone, it's pretty handy. I got the 16gb 3g version, which you can find on amazon, there's no micro SD input, so I went with more memory than getting the 4g 8GB version purely for memory sake (I have a lot of music.)
Old 4th September 2014, 10:34

Mood
Relaxed

I had a Samsung S2 then upgraded to a Samsung S4, I bought them both used from ebay, outside of samsung the Moto G is supposed to be a good budget phone, but I dont like its navigation keys being on the screen, it just makes the small screen even smaller.
Old 4th September 2014, 18:00
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig.
I got the Moto G, Upgraded from a Nokia lumia 620. I wouldn't bother with windows phones, the app store on it is appalling, and the battery use (at least for my phone) was awful, Really liking the Moto G so far, especially because I can sync up all my google chrome stuff/gmail stuff, on my laptop, tablet, and phone, it's pretty handy. I got the 16gb 3g version, which you can find on amazon, there's no micro SD input, so I went with more memory than getting the 4g 8GB version purely for memory sake (I have a lot of music.)
4g version has a memory card slot though.
Old 4th September 2014, 18:59

Mood
Bookworm

people like to bitch about iPhones, but I was bought a 4s and it hasn't had any problems. Very reliable, quick and pretty.
Old 5th September 2014, 12:32

Mood
Balanced

I've had my Huawei Ascend G300 for about 2 years now, no probs so far. I'm with giffgaff on PAYG. At the moment it's £12 for a month of unlimited internet, but I think prices may be going up this year. They have various plans to choose from, £5 - £20 per month of credit/data. Here's a link:

http://giffgaff.com/goodybags
Old 5th September 2014, 12:41

Mood
Bored

Whatever the latest Nexus is.

iPhones are shit, Windows Phone is shit (though Nokia have made some pretty solid phones in the past so maybe it would be worth suffering through Windows Phone to get one if they're still good?), and almost all non-Nexus Android phones come with crap firmware which never gets updated (so then you have to jump through the hoops to put better firmware on, when you could have just bought a Nexus, which already has good firmware out of the box).
Old 5th September 2014, 17:48
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark09
iphone no different than an android really. The iphone is far easier. But once you get past some of the annoyances of android, with the apps and games its not a lot different from the iphone.
iphone feels more closed in, less customisable to me though. I haven't really used an iphone though.

I like the customisability of my moto g. I just got a bugdroid case, it makes my phone look more colourful. I might get a few shells in the future so my phone doesn't always look the same.
Old 5th September 2014, 17:50
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Prunes
Whatever the latest Nexus is.

iPhones are shit, Windows Phone is shit (though Nokia have made some pretty solid phones in the past so maybe it would be worth suffering through Windows Phone to get one if they're still good?), and almost all non-Nexus Android phones come with crap firmware which never gets updated (so then you have to jump through the hoops to put better firmware on, when you could have just bought a Nexus, which already has good firmware out of the box).
I also like Nexus, Moto g was cheaper though. I don't know if Windows phone and iOS are shit. They are different though.
Old 5th September 2014, 19:59

Mood
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
^ I was thinking of joining the dark side and getting an iPhone. The contracts are just a bit overpriced, or do you feel like it's worth it?
well I'm not on contract, I get vodafone freedom freebie packages, a tenner a month. It's a decent deal for me :-)

Androids do of course give you more control and room for customisation...but I'm not that interested in "apps" and such tbh. I just use my phone for texts, facetime, podcasts and occasionally music. When I'm messing around with software I'll use linux on my laptop.

but each to their own
Old 5th September 2014, 21:13
Banned at own request

There is always the 5c although 6 is just around the corner and in different sizes.
Old 5th September 2014, 21:27
Banned at own request

I already have a new phone now. I'm on PAYG though and get Vodafone freebies like someone else mentioned.
Old 6th September 2014, 16:12

Mood
Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTz0kt0Bu
I also like Nexus, Moto g was cheaper though. I don't know if Windows phone and iOS are shit. They are different though.
Sounds like a good choice. Motorola build quality is usually right up there with Nokia, and their stock firmware is usually decent as stock firmware goes.
Old 7th September 2014, 01:59

get a blackberry. they have a full proper keyboard on them even if its really small its better than touchscreen imo. with touchscreen you can't feel the keys. its like typing on a flat screen. there is no sensory feedback. you can't feel the keys. i think touchscreen will really kick off when you can feel textures and stuff.
Old 7th September 2014, 08:14
Banned at own request

Are you stuck back in 2010 or what lol?
Old 7th September 2014, 18:56

HTC one.

Sound is terrible.
Great camera
Battery awful
But fast
Old 7th September 2014, 19:44
Banned at own request

Terrible sound with front speakers ?

Idk but from reviews on htc one m8 I have heard the opposite, good sound, not so good camera. But good internet.
Old 7th September 2014, 22:24

Oh no the speakers are amazing But when you use the Jack is iffy .
If you have to use your headphones for any reason
Old 7th September 2014, 22:36
Banned at own request

Oh, ok