SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 19th May 2018, 12:43

Default Citalopram

I've just been prescribed Citalopram for anxiety and depression (20mg) and wondered what others experiences are with this anti-depressant. I'm putting off taking it until next week as I have an interview on Tuesday and I'm worried about any side-effects I may experience.
Old 19th May 2018, 12:56
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Default Re: Citalopram

I had a really good experience with Citalopram, I went from 10mg to 20mg then 40mg. It's infamous for giving ppl the yawns to begin with (not everyone mind you) but once I got through that I found it uplifted my mood and made me more confident? certainly more able socially. I took it for ages and I'm pretty sure it contributed to a period of my life when I was much better (work, relationship, friends etc )

I stopped taking it for various reasons - none of which had to do with the drug itself and now take Escitalopram which is a kind of souped up version of Citalopram. It works much the same for me.

Anti D's can take a little while to kick in and any side effects usually wear off after a while.
Old 19th May 2018, 14:56

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Tink_
I've just been prescribed Citalopram for anxiety and depression (20mg) and wondered what others experiences are with this anti-depressant. I'm putting off taking it until next week as I have an interview on Tuesday and I'm worried about any side-effects I may experience.
I'm on my 3rd day of 20mg Citalopram and so good so far. Had a couple toilet requirements on day 2 but that could of been something I ate. Not sure.

I have previously been on 20mg Citalopram and I don't remember anything bad happening. I guess everyone is different though.

Good luck _Tink_
Old 19th May 2018, 17:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo34
I had a really good experience with Citalopram, I went from 10mg to 20mg then 40mg. It's infamous for giving ppl the yawns to begin with (not everyone mind you) but once I got through that I found it uplifted my mood and made me more confident? certainly more able socially. I took it for ages and I'm pretty sure it contributed to a period of my life when I was much better (work, relationship, friends etc )

I stopped taking it for various reasons - none of which had to do with the drug itself and now take Escitalopram which is a kind of souped up version of Citalopram. It works much the same for me.

Anti D's can take a little while to kick in and any side effects usually wear off after a while.
I'm glad to hear you had a good experience Mo I have read up a bit about it and heard it can make you tired. I'm supposed to take one every morning but I did read that if it makes you tired you could take one every evening before you go to bed instead? I'm worried about it making me tired as I'm tired anyway at the best of times

Quote:
Originally Posted by challangerchris
I'm on my 3rd day of 20mg Citalopram and so good so far. Had a couple toilet requirements on day 2 but that could of been something I ate. Not sure.

I have previously been on 20mg Citalopram and I don't remember anything bad happening. I guess everyone is different though.

Good luck _Tink_
My GP did say it could cause some stomach issues, which again, is what's putting me off taking it yet. I have a two week holiday coming up so I thought I could start taking it at the beginning of then.
Old 19th May 2018, 17:58
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Tink_
I'm glad to hear you had a good experience Mo I have read up a bit about it and heard it can make you tired. I'm supposed to take one every morning but I did read that if it makes you tired you could take one every evening before you go to bed instead? I'm worried about it making me tired as I'm tired anyway at the best of times
Yeah it can do, it's something which should gradually wear off (in theory) if it affects you.
I've had the same issue with escitalopram but much more so than citalopram. I take it in the evening now for that reason.

The only other side effects I had with citalopram was my vision being weird the 1st day I took it and a slightly upset stomach the first few days.
Old 19th May 2018, 18:04

^ I think I'll definitely put off starting to take them until my break then. I'm worried about being at work and having an upset stomach
Old 19th May 2018, 21:18

Mood
Dead

I do think ill tell you my experience with it, i dont wish to worry you. I mistakenly took it a second time years after the first, same happened again Side effects are rare, you'll mostly likey be fine, try them on a non busy day when you are at home all day.
Old 19th May 2018, 21:54

Mood
Bored

I found Citalopram was great - I was pretty depressed when taking it though, but it did help for a while - I increased to the max (40mg) and then transferred to Escitalopram. I just got to the point where I was so numb, I ended up switching to Sertraline. It's just finding the right anti-depressant that works for you - trial and error.
Old 19th May 2018, 22:02

Mood
Lurking

I have been on 40mg of Citalopram for a few years now, Its so long ago I cannot remember what the side effects were. I know it works, last year my GP tried to take me off it but I only got down to 10mg when I started to feel the full effects of my depression again. So after that experiment I was put back on the 40mg dose.
Old 19th May 2018, 22:17

Thanks for sharing all of your experiences I have a follow-up appointment booked for 2 weeks time but I'm not sure I'll have much to report back in that space.
Old 25th May 2018, 04:53
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

^
Yes, me too. I've had no probs coming off Citalopram either. I literally just stop. I've never had any withdrawal symptoms that I'm aware of.
Old 25th May 2018, 06:39

That's good to know, thanks both of you

I'm going to start taking them tomorrow
Old 25th May 2018, 07:02

You***8217;re better not reading or thinking about side affects.

I***8217;ve had mixed results with citalopram
Old 25th May 2018, 21:41

Mood
Bashful

You shouldn***8217;t mix and match between 10 and 20mg doses per day or weeek citalopram is a medicine where if you take 10 or 20mg it takes 4-16 weeks for that dose to have an effect on your body (ie. it builds up in your system)
Old 26th March 2020, 17:54

Hi, I've been on Citalopram for a few years but recently I've been getting really dizzy spells. I fainted on Monday. I'd had a chat with the doctor about it who suggested coming off them a couple of weeks ago. I had come down to 10mg a day, but after Monday I stopped. Now I am getting the brain zaps and am not focused, which isn't great as I'm supposd to be working from home. I'd say my mood has deteriorated this week - it doesn't help not being allowed to move about freely because of Corvid-19 either. Any one had a similar experience with Citalopram - how long does it take for the withdrawl to end? Thanks.
Old 27th March 2020, 13:40

Thanks Raks1981. Feeling a bit better than I did yesterday
Old 27th March 2020, 15:33

The doctor thinks the dizziness and fainting was linked to the citalopram itself - it can be a side effect on rare occasions. I had bloods and ecg done a while ago but nothing else showed up. That's the reason I'm trying to come off it now, as it's been getting much worse in the last few weeks. Since my last pill on Sunday my resting heat rate has gone up by 4 beats per mnute. I'm guessing my blood pressure has increased as well. I'll give it a week and if it hasn't improved I'll go back to the doc - if I can get an appointment with all this coronavirus stuff going on that is. The job centre I imagine is a pretty tough environment to work in?! Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 09:55

I've been reading these comments with interest.

My GP has recently prescribed these for me for me as I've been very anxious, I need to collect them from the pharmacy today.

I'm hoping that with medication, making some lifestyle changes and hopefully talking to someone I might feel much better.

Bit concerned about the tiredness, as I already feel knackered and have IBS but I can't carry on the way I was feeling on edge all the time .

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
Old 2nd June 2023, 16:29

I took Citalopram for while a few years ago. It helped to reduce my 'lows', but it also limited my 'highs' where nothing excited me. I weaned myself off it with no negative effects.
Old 2nd June 2023, 17:32

^^ it can be scary to try something new and unknown. If you have any worries or reservations you could arrange to speak to the doctor about it before taking it. Hopefully they'll do a check in with you to see how it's going and you can discuss alternatives if you don't feel like it's the right thing for you. Hope you're okay x
Old 5th June 2023, 20:06

^ Thanks biscuits

Old 5th June 2023, 20:07

As I'm new to this I was wondering if you take your medication in the morning, or evening.

Old 5th June 2023, 23:16

Mood
Cynical

I take mine twice a day, so morning and evening. But maybe start off taking it in the morning (unless you've been directed by your doctor to do otherwise!) and see how you get on.
They do say to try to give it at least six weeks to see how the medication might work, and let your doctor know if you have any side effects.
Old 5th June 2023, 23:20

^ Thanks, they've given me two lots of 10mg so could do that

Old 29th June 2023, 20:52

I had citalopram for a while, helped for a month or 2 then it sort of stopped being helpful. Doctor then switched me to Fluoxetine which I was on for a few years, that really helped
Old 30th June 2023, 00:00

I'm not even sure if they "actually" work or not for depression, but when I stop them, i feel way way worse.
It does NOTHING for social anxiety at all. same thing applies to Prozac/Fluoxetine which worked better for depression.

I've been years on Citalopram on and off, no side effects so far as long as I'm not suddenly stopping without slowly reducing the dosage.