SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 18th April 2022, 00:19

Default People who self diagnosed or are diagnosed as ASD. What job do you do?

Is it a good fit?

I just did 5 days of being a waiter at a restaurant hotel housing Afghan refugees. So I had to start my shifts at 2:30am since they are doing Ramadan.

My interaction with my colleagues was distant. The toddlers, didn't seem to have a problem with me although I don't know how to interact with them. I also seem to interact with the kids on an equal level. I find it harder to be assertive with them unlike the other staff. I put some of this down to just not interacting with many kids. Part of it might be my self diagnosed autism and how I view play. I think I probably don't view play the same way a neurotypical might which may make interaction with kids challenging. I didn't build much rapport with the refugees, maybe a few, although at most it was hi, how are you doing?

The people I worked with wouldn't interact with me like they would with each other. I was anxious at one point and I feel a new security guard took it the wrong way and became more distant. This always happens to the point I have became unsympathetic about it.

Right now I am thinking that this hotel work is not the right fit for me, without my autism getting diagnosed and me getting the right type of treatment to help with issues I face.

I am thinking of even being a kitchen porter again. Most KP's are probably more social than me but the job itself doesn't require one to be social. When I was a kitchen porter some people I know said that I could do better. Even with this job, a guy that worked with me was saying that I can do better. The issue with that advice is that the people who say that never consider why I might be in the position I am in or why I may act the way I do.

One time a temp worker said how I was socially awkward, innocent and this hotel work may help me. But I don't see it helping me, I need my issues addressed to be truly helped. Exposure + safety behaviours just maintains the problem.
Old 15th January 2023, 11:19

Mood
Tired

Default Re: People who self diagnosed or are diagnosed as ASD. What job do you do?

Stock control, distribution, warehousing, logistics, labouring, quality control.
Old 9th February 2023, 23:33

Default Re: People who self diagnosed or are diagnosed as ASD. What job do you do?

'The toddlers didn't seem to have a problem with me' sorry, that cracked me up.