SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Mental Health Issues
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 24th January 2020, 09:48

Mood
Spooky

Default Lonely Rant

I don't know if this is the right place for this but I want to moan and I have no friends I can moan at about this.

I wrote a book a while ago about mental illness and was a little too close to home so it really destroyed me writing it. For two years I was in and out of suicide due to the personal topics included but had to keep returning in order to finish the book. It destroyed me, and my relationship.

However, none of my family have read it, I have told them about it but they're just not interested. None of who I would have called friends have read it part from two people. And fine... they don't have to, but it REALLY bothers me.

If some random guy I barely knew at work wrote a book I'd read it, or some random guy I knew from school, why not, be quite interesting wouldn't it? But my own family and friends can't be bothered!

Am I being unreasonable here to assume people that know me would be interested? If they have 50 friends that have all wrote books then fair enough but as far as I'm aware there are no 'writers' in their lives and certainly not in my family. I've made artwork for this thing, I made an animated trailer, still, no one cares.

It doesn't help that me being me, will take things to heart sometimes, so I can't help but translate the above as NO ONE gives a sh*t about me...
Old 24th January 2020, 11:05

Default Re: Lonely Rant

I would try not to take it personally since it's probably more to do with people not really being interested in reading than people not giving a shit about you. It seems that most people never or very rarely read. Nobody is obliged to spend their time reading a book just because someone they happen to know or someone they share some genes with wrote one. How much someone cares about you has nothing to do with how likely they are to want to read a book you've written either.

If a random person I knew wrote a book I probably wouldn't read it. If a friend or family member wrote one I probably wouldn't either unless it had been well-received and also sounded like something I would enjoy. If one of my parents wrote a sci-fi novel I doubt I would read it because it would almost certainly bore me - them being responsible for my birth doesn't make a difference in that situation. You should try to separate how you would approach something from how others do. You being likely to do something doesn't mean anyone else will or should, so try not to get upset because of that.
Old 24th January 2020, 11:51

Mood
Mellow

To be fair, mental illness can, for obvious reasons, be a depressing subject to read about, and many, if not most people, probably wouldn't want to read your book for that very reason. The fact that certain people are 'closer' to you (family and friends etc) might even make that situation more likely rather than less, because they could be worried about feeling bad/hurt/depressed themselves by reading it.
Old 24th January 2020, 15:06

Don’t give up R Boo, your website is fab. I’m into year 10 of editing my 85k word SA novel, have had more rejections from literary agents in that time than JK Rowling, but take heart from the author who runs the writer’s group I attend - it took her 18 years to get her book published. Keep the faith, and family and friends - f—k ‘em, what do they know?
Old 24th January 2020, 15:58

Mood
Spooky

Thank you for all the responses

And you're right Nanuq, I think it's the lack of support that infuriates me. I don't mind them not reading it but at least buy it or something. I can appreciate it's not to their taste so I don't disagree with you Lonestar... but just for the record my book is not all about doom and gloom :P

Oh and I think the link is on here somewhere, but I don't want to come across as spamming hahah

And thank you Seagull, and good luck with yours
I can always just hope mine will be one of them cult sensations that only work when I'm dead, like artists.

I'll get over it I guess, just think of all the money I'll save on Christmas cards this year...
Old 24th January 2020, 16:19

Mood
Balanced

Not read it yet but I did buy your book last month of Amazon.
Old 24th January 2020, 16:32

Mood
Spooky

:D thank you

...no refunds btw :P
Old 24th January 2020, 16:44

Mood
Balanced

Quite sort but I actually prefer that. Takes me forever to read and have a bad attention plan. Plus I will have to have a thesaurus nearby when reading your book.
Old 24th January 2020, 21:40

Mood
Spooky

Quote:
Originally Posted by john smith
Quite sort but I actually prefer that. Takes me forever to read and have a bad attention plan. Plus I will have to have a thesaurus nearby when reading your book.
Hahaha yeah sorry about that, obscure words not my intention, was going for poetic
Old 24th January 2020, 21:41

Mood
Spooky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglypuff
I think its a shame those closest to you havent taken a strong interest in something that seemed very personal, important difficult and ...would cathartic be the right word?
Anyhoo..i think you should be proud of having a book out and that youre sharing it with the world. Takes a lot of confidence to do that
Thank you was tempted to use a fake name originally.
Old 25th January 2020, 08:38

Mood
Spooky

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermannHesse
I'll read it, one day, if you PM me the link.

If my parents read any of my writings I would be in a padded cell the next day (well, I wouldn't be, as my parents barely realise I exist).
Doesn’t sound too bad, I imagine the padded walls would make good insulation, think of the warmth
Old 29th January 2020, 09:01

Mood
Spooky

I get what you’re saying but can I just point out that a general synopsis of my book is it isn’t about me and my suicidal thoughts. It’s about a character who falls in love but then she dies and it turns out that he had killed her but has been blocking out bad memories all his life. Only her death triggers the return of all his bad memories and now he’s has to deal with being a good guy who’s just discovered he’s not the good guy.

The general point of the book is everyone thinks they are the good guy and ‘bad people’ are justifiable.

But it was wrote in an ‘artsy’ way and was heavily influenced by Edgar Allen Poe.