SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 7th February 2020, 12:21

Default video about "chatty cafe" scheme

I liked this video and found there were a few cafes in my home city in this "chatty cafe" scheme. I like the idea of just having a cuppa and a chat with no ongoing commitment and no hidden motives, just people connecting in a world which can be quite isolated at times. Has anyone tried going along to one of these? What happened? My guess is the people who would participate would likely be 30+ in age hence putting my post in this section ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG1EcjkGrBc
Old 7th February 2020, 13:13

Default Re: video about "chatty cafe" scheme

I suppose the intention is similar, but I noticed a new bench near my local library recently that has "happy to chat" written on it, with a note below saying to sit there if you don't mind someone stopping to say hello to you. The problem is, if someone did sit there hoping to chat nobody would be able see the sign since their back would be against it.
Old 8th February 2020, 20:13

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen.
I suppose the intention is similar, but I noticed a new bench near my local library recently that has "happy to chat" written on it, with a note below saying to sit there if you don't mind someone stopping to say hello to you. The problem is, if someone did sit there hoping to chat nobody would be able see the sign since their back would be against it.
Theres a similar Bench on the Beachfront at Aberdeen. Seems to be quite widespread...
Old 8th February 2020, 23:46

I don't know if, personally, I would like this idea; right now, I have no difficulty getting into conversations with people I'm never likely to see again (this is Derbyshire, after all, our version of the "chatty café" is any bus stop, or just on the street). I've had at least half-a-dozen random conversations today alone - but my issue is in actually making friendships, so I would prefer some kind of place where people who want to make lasting friendships can gather. That's just my personal perspective though, I can see the value in the scheme.

Back in the days when I was riddled with anxiety and other inhibiting thoughts, my concern would be that I'd sit at the chatty table and then other people would come in, look at me and walk out again - or someone would be there, I would sit down and then they would leave instantly. I don't think I would have had the courage to try it, the rejection (at a time when all I knew in social terms was rejection) would have been too great to bear!
Old 9th February 2020, 00:30

^ I don't know I can imagine a cafe being a pretty good environment for it, as in if you went in there regularly I'm sure you'd end up bumping into some of the people you'd previously spoke to, which is sort of how friendships often form.

I did have a look in my local area and the nearest places are a garden centre and a major chain coffee shop. I'm more of a greasy spoon cafe person to be honest .