Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 20th March 2020, 22:42
Global Moderator

Mood
Tired

Default Re: Type what you're thinking about right now (11)

I wonder how many relationships will break down as a result of unhappy couples being forced to spend a lot more time together.
Old 20th March 2020, 23:23

Mood
Alienated

I’m not quite sure how I’m going to be able to ‘self-isolate’

I will still be working next week, travelling there by bus. I will also still need to go shopping. So, mixing with lots of people in busy places.. And yet, lots of celebrities on Twitter are telling us to just stay at home!

I’m also not sure if it’s acceptable or not to go for a walk. I live in a fairly busy place, so I imagine quite a few people will be going for a walk seeing as they can’t do anything else. My dog needs a walk as well (although it is possible to just stay at home with a dog, but they do get very restless).
Old 20th March 2020, 23:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Willow
I wonder how many relationships will break down as a result of unhappy couples being forced to spend a lot more time together.
I have been wondering that as well. The pressure is going to be staggering- job loss, money worries, worries about ageing parents (who you can’t see), bored kids (who can’t see their friends and can’t be dumped on grandparents). On top of all that, the couple are going to be under one another’s feet all day, trapped in the UKs ridiculous little rabbit hutch houses. And if there is a row, you can’t even escape down the pub.
Old 21st March 2020, 02:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moksha
Some people (a minority, of course, and often young) seem to find this exciting. No doubt it will wear off after a month stuck indoors, but right now they are enjoying the drama. Maybe they get a kick out of the shake up to their routine? Or maybe it’s the sense of being a part of some big event?

When I last went to Sainsbury’s, and the shelves were stripped bare, I noticed two girls, probably in their late teens, talking excitedly. One had just got off the phone and I heard her say to her friend “we’ll have to try ASDA then”. Something about the way she said it really struck me. She was excited. They were both laughing, but the laughter was almost hysterical - the kind of laugh you hear on a Saturday night from a group of 17 year olds on their way to a nightclub.
That's an interesting observation.
My 17 year old is feeling pretty low about the situation but more so now that the Gyms have all closed. Similarly, I think the young girls you witnessed will become less excited when it sinks in that the pandemic will seriously curtail them from doing the things that they enjoy. No more nightclubs, or pubs for the foreseeable future. No more meeting up for a coffee or leisurely wandering around endless clothes shops. Even for the young, once they can no longer do the things they enjoy any 'excitement' rapidly wears off.

Also people generally feel invincible during their teens and the fact that they are said to be less vulnerable to the complications of catching the virus takes away a certain amount of anxiety and fear. Sadly, in reality, no one is invincible.

@ anxiouslondoner - All I can think is that the idiots loading up with perishable foods have bottomless freezers. But their stockpile won't last forever and eventually these people will have to join the long queues for any morsel they can get their hands on like the rest of us.
Old 21st March 2020, 14:04

Mood
Alienated

I don't think a lot of the teenagers give a shit about it. We have a 17 year old apprentice at our place. He just laughs the whole thing off, "I don't care its only bothering the old people aint it" - It's clearly not only affecting the elderly..but I get the feeling he presumes hes completely immune to it so who cares

We do have these chats in the office about how stupid its getting, joking that were going to need to start using socks when were out of toilet roll, rationing out meals, generally trying to make light of the whole thing but deep down were all..a little bit uneasy about it all

I read divorce rates were up quite a lot in China after all the quarantine, this is gonna hit the extroverts hard. At the moment its really not changing my day to day life (although I've been having chest pains and a sore throat since yesterday morning which I'd normally shrug off ..but...but...I won't go into meltdown till I'm coughing)
Old 21st March 2020, 17:40

It's literally impossible to get online deliveries of groceries from anywhere now, it seems.
I'm in self-isolation at the moment and running low on bread, soft drinks and stuff. I guess I'll just have to manage on what I've got until I can go out again. I won't starve (and there's still takeaways, I think!) but I'm just going to have to eat random things for a bit.
Old 21st March 2020, 18:05

Mood
Cynical

^ If you have a local bakery a lot of those are doing home deliveries now, you can order what you want the day before. Or some farm type shops are doing veg box type deliveries that include milk and eggs, not sure if you have that sort of thing in London but worth a try! Also, traditional milkman...
Old 21st March 2020, 18:22
Global Moderator

Mood
Tired

It's just been announced that the town I live in has 2 confirmed cases of Coronavirus and others suspected at a nearby military base.
Shit is getting serious now.
Old 21st March 2020, 18:46

Mood
Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Willow
I wonder how many people will lose their jobs due to not being able to go in or work from home.
Old 21st March 2020, 20:15

Mood
Alienated

Delivery slots for shopping are mental

We got one for tomorrow (booked a week or so ago - back before this seemed half as serious as it now is!)

Managed to get another tesco slot..April 13th (didn't even occur to me its Easter Monday..not convinced it'll even run)

Bonkers there's 0 other slots in the next 3 weeks.

The hypochondriac in me is starting to panic, I need to start working from home but I'm going to be seen as a "pansy" If I'm the first one to go
Old 21st March 2020, 20:32

Mood
Cynical

^ No time to be worrying about being seen as a pansy! Put your foot down and get out of there.
Old 21st March 2020, 20:45
Global Moderator

Mood
Tired

Stop the world I want to get off
Old 21st March 2020, 20:51

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks
I’m not quite sure how I’m going to be able to ‘self-isolate’

I will still be working next week, travelling there by bus. I will also still need to go shopping. So, mixing with lots of people in busy places.. And yet, lots of celebrities on Twitter are telling us to just stay at home!

I’m also not sure if it’s acceptable or not to go for a walk. I live in a fairly busy place, so I imagine quite a few people will be going for a walk seeing as they can’t do anything else. My dog needs a walk as well (although it is possible to just stay at home with a dog, but they do get very restless).
Its completely acceptable to go for a walk on your own (or with a dog). Just keep your distance from others (within reason) when doing so.

Humans (and dogs) need fresh air and exercise, its the way we are.
Old 21st March 2020, 23:49
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

I hope my internet is back on monday. I've had to watch actual Saturday night tv this evening.
Old 21st March 2020, 23:54

dirty crisps from days of yore.

Petrified Prawns, Tangy Toms. I bought a packet of Transformers the other day and built a little car with them and then ate it.
Old 22nd March 2020, 00:16

Mood
Alienated

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilm
Its completely acceptable to go for a walk on your own (or with a dog). Just keep your distance from others (within reason) when doing so.

Humans (and dogs) need fresh air and exercise, its the way we are.
I would agree with you and say it’s acceptable. But others are saying it is irresponsible and you should stay at home. I’m not sure what to think really
Old 22nd March 2020, 00:24

^ Unsociable hours will be fine.
Old 22nd March 2020, 00:36
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
dirty crisps from days of yore.

Petrified Prawns, Tangy Toms. I bought a packet of Transformers the other day and built a little car with them and then ate it.
Oh Petrified Prawns! I'd forgotten them
Old 22nd March 2020, 04:55

That things are going to end badly.

If my mum catches the virus then it's instantly game over for her. If she doesn't catch it then it won't be much better because, what time she has left, will consist of unpleasant treatments and their side effects that can at best merely hold an untreatable cancer at bay until the inevitable. I know to everyone else she is only some old woman but she's my mum and that makes her irreplaceable to me.

I'm also worrying that I might lose my husband or son. If it's my husband then I'd be totally distraught but I'd carry on for my son's sake but if, god forbid, it was my son then it would push me over the edge and I know I wouldn't be able to carry on. Lastly, I'm worrying about myself but only because I don't know how my husband would cope losing a wife (he's suffered enough grief in his life already) and how my son would cope without a mum.

That's what I'm thinking right now. It's bleak and depressing but if I wrote a Polly Anna ish post about how I was thinking that everything will turn out okay it would simply be a big fat lie.
Old 22nd March 2020, 10:15

I went on Heathrow’s website apparently they are still not taking temperature checks yet I still hear aeroplanes landing. We are doomed if London remains this relaxed about an emergency.
Old 22nd March 2020, 11:22

^
Old 22nd March 2020, 11:56

Consolida ^^

Try and keep things in perspective. You, your son and your husband will come through this, I am sure. The vast majority of people recover. I just read a Facebook post by the friend of an ex girlfriend. He was diagnosed with it over a week ago and is now pretty much recovered. He said it was horrible - a bit of pain in his lungs at one point, lots of aching and exhaustion, etc, but bearable. He is also a smoker and drinker and was very run down when he got it. His advice to everyone is prepare - get your body in good shape, like you are going into battle. In his opinion, had he not been run down, and not been a smoker, it would have been no worse than a dose of flu, or a bad cold. Your little family will survive, trust me
Old 22nd March 2020, 14:32

Mood
Cynical

^ I also read an Instagram post by someone who does have some underlying health conditions and had the virus, she had to go to hospital initially but then she was able to go home and recover and she's pretty much through it now. Even for people who are more vulnerable it doesn't necessarily mean game over.
Old 22nd March 2020, 14:34

It certainly doesn't. Even a 100 year old woman has survived it. The idea that it is an instant death sentence is not realistic. For most, it will pass with minimal drama.
Old 22nd March 2020, 15:46

Mood
Cynical

^ With the help from the wonderful NHS and it's staff ofcourse.
Old 22nd March 2020, 16:15
Global Moderator

Mood
Tired

I wish I had somewhere to self isolate, my step parents are still in isolation and will be for at least another week, being stuck in the same house as my bf 24/7 is rapidly driving me insane.
I'm seriously considering living in my car for a while.
Old 22nd March 2020, 20:21

I'm glad you're all okay.
Old 22nd March 2020, 20:21

^^ (sorry if this sounds strange, but I was thinking of you earlier as you'd said you were isolating and was wondering how you're doing x) really pleased to read that you're starting to feel better
Old 22nd March 2020, 20:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella
^ I also read an Instagram post by someone who does have some underlying health conditions and had the virus, she had to go to hospital initially but then she was able to go home and recover and she's pretty much through it now. Even for people who are more vulnerable it doesn't necessarily mean game over.
This is true.

MP Nadine Dorres's 82 year old mother caught the virus, and despite suffering from cancer and having problems with her immune system she survived and only suffered extremely mild symptoms.

OF COURSE, she was lucky not to have a more serious outcome given her age and health problems. But nonetheless, its not always the worst outcome even for the ill and aged.
Old 22nd March 2020, 20:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks
I would agree with you and say it’s acceptable. But others are saying it is irresponsible and you should stay at home. I’m not sure what to think really
Hmm, well from what I can make out, there is virtually no risk of spreading anything in the circumstances youve described.

Sounds like the folk who are criticizing you dont know what theyre talking about. Ime not a an expert on epidemiology or anything, but Ime not aware of any reason, for not going out for a walk, at all.