SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 19th February 2018, 21:13

Mood
Bashful

Default Scared of gym

I want to go the gym and I have been meaning to go but I am absolutely terrified. There are so many good looking and fit people there and I wish I was good looking and was fit but I’m not. I’ve walked to the door a few times and walked a bit in the but as I see all the people I can go no further. I envy people I see all the time who can walk in with impunity.
Old 20th February 2018, 00:43

Mood
Crappy

Default Re: Scared of gym

No normal person is going to shame you because you go inside a gym to benefit your self. The in shape people there are usually busy working out not noticing you. And you don't have to talk to anyone just find something you want to do.
Old 20th February 2018, 07:25

Too be honest many of the guys on the gym would love to look like you. Big guy with a thick beard you may intimidate them.

Most people won***8217;t judge you and even if some do who cares, they aren***8217;t worth bothering about anyway, anyone who does that is immature and tying to feel good about themselves. Every is too busy worrying about their own lives and issues.

Unless you***8217;re truly unusual looking no one will bat an eyelid

Once you***8217;ve been maybe 3 or 4 times you***8217;ll be fine, exercise is great for mental health so if you start today in a few weeks you***8217;ll be more confident, fitter and feel better mentally

Just go for it what***8217;s the worse that can happen

Failing that you can workout at home bodyweight stuff or go jogging in the park
Old 20th February 2018, 09:23

Just go. You might have to have an introduction to show you how to use the machines or weights the first time, but the staff are paid to help you and won't be judgmental.
Mostly, hardly anyone is paying much attention to anyone else in my experience. They have their own routines to do.
Old 20th February 2018, 12:46

Mood
Tired

I can relate with not being at ease with the idea of going to the gym,
but it could be an interesting kind of exposure exercise, as well as physical exercise of course.

I find myself feeling like I need to be fit enough and lean enough to go into a gym in the first place,
Which kind of defeats the purpose,
but that's a bit like waiting till you feel better before going to the doctors,
I guess the whole idea of a gym is to get fit in the first place,
so, a gym really should be full of all sorts of people either starting off, or working their way towards getting fit.
Old 20th February 2018, 13:26

Mood
Mellow

Strangely enough although I go to the gym a reasonable amount I can relate.

On a few occasions (perhaps a few times over the last decade) I have been working out on some piece of equipment and someone has pointed out some kind of error in my form. I am sure their intention was to be helpful but since then I tend to avoid things where lots of people watch, like the free weights.

It is true though that people won't bat an eyelid really. Once you have the headphones in and some music on it is like a little bubble of your own.
Old 23rd February 2018, 20:44

I feel the same way. I've never been to a proper gym (unless you count those hotel ones where I went in once and found the least intimidating piece of equipment- a bouncing ball to sit on awkwardly rather briefly before dodging out of there). I've just been looking at gyms in my local area but I can't stomach actually going. I would if it was empty or they had closed cubicles with like a spin bike in each cubicle ha but that's not likely. I worry about being looked at, not being attractive enough to be there etc. I'm average body type with increasing jello rolls on my mid section so I'd love to go swimming too but again it's the fear of entering and getting out of the pool- plus I'm looking at gyms which don't have pools purely because I presume they might be less popular and therefore less humans to look at me/encounter. Also as someone with no real fitness experience and some health issues- I'm not sure how safe a lot of he equipment is and Id be shy to ask for assistance so I can envisage being one of those rare people that end up impaled on an exercise bike or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kvlt
Oh I forgot to mention, if anyone is dying to lose weight defo sign up on http://www.myfitnesspal.com

It's free.

It's a very good site for tracking what you eat and how much to have per day. A friend of mine lost 20 stone doing this, they didn't even exercise due to pain. Obviously it will benefit you if you go to the gym but watching what you eat via calorie counting is a good way to do it. It's not actually as tedious as it sounds when you get into it and you can make friends on there who will cheer you on.

You don't even have to manually type in most of the stuff as you can scan bar codes on your phone and puts all the info in for you.

Hope it helps someone out there.
Thanks for the link. I will try using the site as I rely way too much on processed foods and rarely, if ever look at at product labelling- calories etc so this might make me more aware of what I'm putting into my body.
Old 24th February 2018, 17:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackflies
I feel the same way. I've never been to a proper gym (unless you count those hotel ones where I went in once and found the least intimidating piece of equipment- a bouncing ball to sit on awkwardly rather briefly before dodging out of there). I've just been looking at gyms in my local area but I can't stomach actually going. I would if it was empty or they had closed cubicles with like a spin bike in each cubicle ha but that's not likely. I worry about being looked at, not being attractive enough to be there etc. I'm average body type with increasing jello rolls on my mid section so I'd love to go swimming too but again it's the fear of entering and getting out of the pool- plus I'm looking at gyms which don't have pools purely because I presume they might be less popular and therefore less humans to look at me/encounter. Also as someone with no real fitness experience and some health issues- I'm not sure how safe a lot of he equipment is and Id be shy to ask for assistance so I can envisage being one of those rare people that end up impaled on an exercise bike or something.
I used to swim every week. But a seven month break hasn't done much for my anxiety in trying to get back into it again
Old 25th February 2018, 20:13

And chew your food dammit.

We all wolf it down like its a race.

Put your fork down once in a while, give the I'm full chemical a chance to circulate.

(I don't chew either)