SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 24th November 2006, 22:28

Default Medication called 5Htp?

Hello!

I'd just like to know if anyone has been prescribed a product called 5Htp which is supposed to be a homeopathic alternative 2 anti-depressants. It was suggested I take this to "level out" my serotonin production & reduce my social anxiety for a bit, yet can't seem to find much solid info on this product. If anyone can help, or if there are better ways to have a fuller life living with social anxiety, I'll be glad to try it!

Moments of Happiness...
Chenz
:embarass:
Old 24th November 2006, 23:16

Default Re: Medication called 5Htp?

hey chen

i have never heard of any one being prescribed 5Htp as this is an alternative to the usual ssris, i do know that trypotophan is only avaible in the usa on prescripition which is what the brain uses to produce 5Htp i believe?

i am a bit clueless about 5Htp but if it is anything like trypotophan then you should start slow and work your way up to the full dose and expect some settling in peroid perhaps up to six weeks.

there are many different alternatives out there if you find 5Htp to be to stimulating.
Old 25th November 2006, 01:08

Mood
Lucky

I'd say give it a try. But don't expect miracles. Ignore all the hyperbole or negative press you might see/hear on the Net or from other sources and see if it helps you.

It's the only way, really.
Old 25th November 2006, 05:09

Mood
Crappy

Hello there,

I have tried this medication, unfortunately it didn't do anything for me, nor someone else I know who tried it.

(Thats not to say it wouldn't work for you though).
Old 25th November 2006, 09:27

I got mine from here http://www.healthspan.co.uk/shop/product.aspx?Id=5HTP

For the short time I tried them, it worked very well. I had to stop taking them because I was on SSRI's.

The wikipedia page on 5HTP is very a useful resource.
Old 25th November 2006, 12:06

Mood
Sad

I tried it but it didn't work for me and from what I have heard I don't think it does for many people. No harm in trying though.
Old 25th November 2006, 18:38

Mood
Crappy

I got mine from Ebay, a large bottle cost about £10, I think you can get different strengths as well, mine was supposed to be quite strong.

Give it a go, you never know, I may have just been unlucky.

Good Luck
Old 25th November 2006, 20:33

Yeah, try it if you like but to be honest anything you can just walk in off the street and buy is pretty useless: I have tried St John's Wort, 5Htp, vit B complex etc, all utterly USELESS ...a box of smarties would have been more helpful (and less expensive) sorry to rant but these 'alternative' i.e ineffective, remedies really wind me up. I have never read anyone on here saying they found these sorts of things any use ...still, give it a go if you like (my guess is the Doctor has been told not to keep prescribing anti-depressants and so has given you this shit to get rid of you)
Old 25th November 2006, 22:27

Red face Re: Medication called 5Htp?

Thanx guys for all your feedback! I appreciate it.

It was my psychologist (the only person who knows I suffer from SAD) who suggested I take it, and I've always been wary of taking medication but I'm getting desperate for results. I think I'll do more research on the product and hopefully I'll come across something that might be better in the process... (yeah right)

Thanx again guys!!
Closed Thread