SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 20th January 2017, 07:42
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default Are you afraid of having guests?

I get nervous about people coming round ,although I have no friends so it's just the occasional family member.
The whole knowing what to do and upping my game to be social just seems too daunting.
Offering drinks,feeding them (I scarcely cook for myself)- if you are getting snacks what snacks to buy.

My place is disorganised and quite messy a lot of the time.
That contributes to the paranoiac/social anxiety "people are going to think badly of me " "I'm going to disgrace myself"
type thoughts.
It's hard for me to think people might like me irrespective of all that.

Then to top it all off there is the big issue of knowing what to say, making small talk.
Old 20th January 2017, 08:42
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default Re: Are you afraid of having guests?

My untidy house is more a combination/interplay of low motivation and poor organisational skills.
Old 20th January 2017, 16:40

I don't like anyone coming around to where I live. I've already refused numerous work colleagues when I had the house to myself for a night last year… You see, I consider where I live to be my 'sanctuary' and I don't want it to be 'soiled' by people. It's the place I go to escape from a lot of my troubles and I feel like inviting them in would see my defenses being breached – if that’ makes sense!

I’m okay with the odd relative coming round but that’s it. No one else. If anyone wants to see me in my private time (rarely) and I’m in the mood to meet them, I’ll go out to them rather than invite them round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter*
When i was growing up and my parents had guests , I would hide up in my room
Nothing to be embarrassed about there - I done the very same thing myself. It must be quite a popular thing to do!
Old 20th January 2017, 16:49

Mood
Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter*
When i was growing up and my parents had guests , I would hide up in my room
Same here. Everytime!
Old 20th January 2017, 17:00

Mood
Brooding

Unexpected guests are the worst - I just came home from work and someone had parked in the driveway - I presume my sister - meaning I had to find somewhere else to park. I am not confident about parking at funny angles, especially when people are watching (my dad criticises) so I ended up driving in and out of the road three times until my sister (I presume it was her) got the hint and left.