SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 3rd June 2011, 00:16
Banned

Mood
Happy

Default Re: Bodybuilding

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplodocus
There are many other variables! Have you switched up your exercises at least every 6 weeks? If you do flat bench press ad infinitum you won't get any training effect or very little. Most people make the mistake of sticking to the same exercises.

Also eating. Are you eating enough? And at the right times. Post exercise nutrition is extremely important because that is when you will get the most protein synthesis and when you are at your most insulin sensitive. Insulin is vital for growth. You need enough protein in your diet too. The recommendations vary but 1.5g of protein per kg of bodyweight isn't a bad bet.

Did you get stronger? Even if strength isn't a goal it's a good indicator whether or not you are making progress. If you don't get stronger then you are more than likely plateaued. Time for change.

The body is incredible at adapting to whatever you throw at it. Which is why you need to change your exercise at least every six weeks. This is all dependent on training history. A very experienced lifter, with 5 years of solid lifting will have to change even more frequently. It could be as little as every two weeks!

The other main component is increasing volume. If you did 10-12 reps for 3 sets of ages but with no apparent increase in size then try and add another set. So you end up doing 4 sets. This increase in volume even if you are using the same weight will give you a new stimulus for growth.

And sleep. Lots! Recovery is as vital as actual training.

going to have to re-read this tomorrow, my brain can't take in this information at this time of night
Old 3rd June 2011, 01:47

Mood
Insomnious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Haze 2
I've heard that squats and deadlifts can raise Test levels. can't remember where I heard it though. Does anyone know if this is true?
I remember reading up on this years ago, can't remember sh*t about it but I remember the general feeling I had is there is truth to it.
Old 3rd June 2011, 01:58

Im really not into exercise at all but I would quite like to build up my lower leg calf muscles. I don't know if you can specifically target this area or just do the whole leg in general (i know nothing about exercise routines/body building). I don't want to get muscular really but build up strength. My knees are weak and i've been prone to dislocation of the patella and twisted ligaments before so id really like to build up the strength in my legs but i only know basic physio exercises. I can only use the lighter weights but does anyone know if you can specifically target the lower leg muscles and knees and any basic exercises for this? I dont want to loose weight really just build strength and do simple exercises that wont make my knees worse (I cant do anything too rigorous).
Old 3rd June 2011, 02:05

Mood
Shoveit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only_human
Im really not into exercise at all but I would quite like to build up my lower leg calf muscles. I don't know if you can specifically target this area or just do the whole leg in general (i know nothing about exercise routines/body building). I don't want to get muscular really but build up strength. My knees are weak and i've been prone to dislocation of the patella and twisted ligaments before so id really like to build up the strength in my legs but i only know basic physio exercises. I can only use the lighter weights but does anyone know if you can specifically target the lower leg muscles and knees and any basic exercises for this? I dont want to loose weight really just build strength and do simple exercises that wont make my knees worse (I cant do anything too rigorous).
Think these could be perfect for you to do at home with no equipment.

http://www.fitstep.com/Library/Exerc...alf_raises.htm
Old 3rd June 2011, 02:22

Mood
Insomnious

Quote:
Gym or home training?
Old 3rd June 2011, 02:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by surreyger
Think these could be perfect for you to do at home with no equipment.

http://www.fitstep.com/Library/Exerc...alf_raises.htm

Thanks! Those look simple enough! Shall give it a try tommorow

@GEMINUS: probably home ones...dont think i could handle going to the gym id be too self conscious
Old 3rd June 2011, 02:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo Loco
I've gotta sort out my diet when I'm snacking late at night, had some yorkshire puddings lol...8mins in the oven, quick and easy. Now I've gotta go for a 5 mile run tomorrow to balance it out, arghhh

5 mile run for a couple of yorkshire puddin's!! Wow that's dedication! I take my hate off to ya On another note...damn you! I'm hungry and craving yorkshires puddin's now! Im gonna try and sleep now...whats the betting i dream of yorkshire puddin's!!
Old 3rd June 2011, 08:50

Mood
Sluggish

So bodybuilding doesn't neccessarily give you more confidence? If I was a bloke I'd get meself all buff and chunky
Old 3rd June 2011, 08:52

Mood
Sluggish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geminus
Gym or home training?
Is that you in the pic? You've got massive guns !
Old 3rd June 2011, 17:19
Banned

Mood
Lawabiding

Quote:
I remember reading up on this years ago, can't remember sh*t about it but I remember the general feeling I had is there is truth to it.
I think I read it on a BB forum. I think it only raises them by 25% which would still be low for me. My T levels used to be sky high and that's where I need them now.
Old 3rd June 2011, 18:35

Mood
Insomnious

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredwithanxiety
Is that you in the pic? You've got massive guns !
That was taken in 06. I put it up for Haze in relation to something we'd discussed.

They're only 17" now but not for long (I have plans)
Old 3rd June 2011, 18:36

Mood
Insomnious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Haze 2
I think I read it on a BB forum. I think it only raises them by 25% which would still be low for me. My T levels used to be sky high and that's where I need them now.
Are you thinking of going back on the gear?
Old 3rd June 2011, 18:41
Banned

Mood
Happy

so what weight training supplements did you you take as part of your diet, when i was at my biggest many, many years ago at 14 stone (only 10 1/2 stone now) i used a muscle and weight gainer supplement and that was it.

anyone had any hgh booster supplements and if so what's your thoughts on them?
Old 3rd June 2011, 18:51

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
My knees are weak and i've been prone to dislocation of the patella and twisted ligaments before so id really like to build up the strength in my legs but i only know basic physio exercises.
I've had knee cap tracking problems in the past and the thing that always got prescribed by numerous physios was training the VMO (Vastus Medialis Oblique). This is the tear drop shaped muscle on the lower inner part of the front of your thigh. Just next to your knee cap. In most people it is weak. If you have problems with your knee cap dislocating then strengthening this muscle will certainly help because it helps keep the knee cap tracking straight and not going offline. Nearly all the muscles of the thigh pull the knee cap outwards, the VMO is the only force balancing this, so if it's weak you're go to have problems.

Here's a good exercise shown with good form that you can do at home. It might be hard to get your balance at first but you can use the back of a chair to assist until you can manage it free standing. You do need a certain amount of mobility in your hips and ankles to do it correctly but this will come with time.

Old 3rd June 2011, 19:19

Mood
Chatty

Diplodocus, with all you know and all you do, the simple fact comes down to motivation.

How do you find the motivation to improve your physical condition, what goes through your head when you are struggling and out of breath?

I find it so hard to keep going when my body keeps saying stop, my mind is a wimp.
Old 3rd June 2011, 19:21

Mood
Paranoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40mk17.4
Diplodocus, with all you know and all you do, the simple fact comes down to motivation.

How do you find the motivation to improve your physical condition, what goes through your head when you are struggling and out of breath?

I find it so hard to keep going when my body keeps saying stop, my mind is a wimp.
When I was lifting and I needed that last bit of will power I just used to think of my past. About the people who walked all over me and the life I had missed due to my SA. and my other bad traits.
Old 3rd June 2011, 19:28
Banned

Mood
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplodocus
There are many other variables! Have you switched up your exercises at least every 6 weeks? If you do flat bench press ad infinitum you won't get any training effect or very little. Most people make the mistake of sticking to the same exercises.

Also eating. Are you eating enough? And at the right times. Post exercise nutrition is extremely important because that is when you will get the most protein synthesis and when you are at your most insulin sensitive. Insulin is vital for growth. You need enough protein in your diet too. The recommendations vary but 1.5g of protein per kg of bodyweight isn't a bad bet.

Did you get stronger? Even if strength isn't a goal it's a good indicator whether or not you are making progress. If you don't get stronger then you are more than likely plateaued. Time for change.

The body is incredible at adapting to whatever you throw at it. Which is why you need to change your exercise at least every six weeks. This is all dependent on training history. A very experienced lifter, with 5 years of solid lifting will have to change even more frequently. It could be as little as every two weeks!

The other main component is increasing volume. If you did 10-12 reps for 3 sets of ages but with no apparent increase in size then try and add another set. So you end up doing 4 sets. This increase in volume even if you are using the same weight will give you a new stimulus for growth.

And sleep. Lots! Recovery is as vital as actual training.
well i'm not really using many weights at the moment, i'm doing things like tricep dips using my bench, pull ups for both my biceps and lat's, need to get myself a longer bar so i can really work the back, different variations of press up's for the chest, the shoulders is a problem as the only exercise that i know of that uses your own body weight for the shoulders is hand stand push up's which is very difficult to do.

when you say about switching up your exercises every 6 weeks, how do i go about that with some muscle area's that have relatively a small amount of variations when exercising them like the traps?

food wise this is roughly my diet through out the week -

breakfast - special k with blueberries and kiwi fruit, two slices of ham with thick whole grain bread.

lunch - pasta with chicken

dinner - seafood selection with pealla rice

then later into the evening - two slices of whole grain bread with eeither tuna or pilchards

and then during the night i usually have two venison burgers by themselves.

also throw in a load of vegetables like spinach, watercress, tomatoes and cucumber. fruit - banana's, apple's, strawberries.

and i usually go through 8 pints of water a day along with a two glasses of orange juice.
Old 3rd June 2011, 19:33
Banned

Mood
Lawabiding

Quote:
Are you thinking of going back on the gear?
Only 'TRT' doses permanently if I don't get Testosterone prescribed on the NHS. I'm hoping they'll prescribe it me though because I'll need regular bloodwork too and I can't afford to pay for them myself.
Closed Thread