SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 7th January 2019, 20:28

Default Trying to get better

Hi everybody,
I'm 16 and am homeschooled and have social anxiety. I have no friends or much social interaction at all and need some advice on what to do. I feel lonely and btw this is my first post.

Thanks,
Apple12
Old 7th January 2019, 23:17

Default Re: Trying to get better

Hi Apple12. Welcome to the forum; it’s a friendly and understanding place

How long have you been homeschooled for? Do you have any brothers and sisters also being home-schooled?
Old 8th January 2019, 02:28

Hi,
I've been homeschooled for three years now and have three sister and a brother. My two older sisters are homeschooled and so is my younger brother. My little sister still goes to school though. Even though I have family it's hard because I have no friends to really talk to and I can't speak to my sisters about stuff so it gets kinda difficult. They actually also don't really speak to anybody else either.
Old 8th January 2019, 08:43

I know it***8217;s not as easy as saying ***8220;go out out and join clubs***8221; etc; if only life were that straightforward.. Maybe an achievable step is making contact with other people who are homeschooled (ie students) as that would initially be internet based contact (and therefore potentially an easier introduction) which could lead to a real life friend if someone were local. Are there forums with student sections for home schoolers?

Do your parents recognise the issue and could help support something? Or you don***8217;t see that as an option?
Old 8th January 2019, 09:18

A quick google search found this
https://a2zhomeschooling.com/teens/h..._blogs_forums/
It doesn’t look to be UK based and I don’t know what the depth is like, also be wary of people who might be just putting a rosy glow on things (“yeah it’s all great!”). Remember though that what you are feeling is likely to be very common amongst people in your situation, hopefully you can find and make contact with those people as an initial step. Obviously stay here as well
Old 10th January 2019, 00:10

Hey guys,
Thanks for the support, I spoke to my parents and they applied me for St. John's ambulance and so perhaps I'll find friends there. Also I must say that hearing responses means a lot to me and I don't feel as alone and as if I'm just suffering by myself which is how I've been feeling for a while. It's hard with social anxiety as sometimes you can feel like an alien and like nobody could ever understand you and so I appreciate the support.

Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 16:01

^ It’s great to hear that you were able to talk to your parents about your anxieties and that they have applied for you to attend a St John’s Ambulance course, Apple12. I hope you will make some friends there.

As others have said here, there are numerous groups available these days that can offer you the opportunity to meet like minded people so don’t give up on that.

I totally understand what you mean about feeling so alone and almost like an alien. I think the majority of SA sufferers here felt that way until discovering SAUK but as you can see you most definitely arn’t alone with any of this.

All the very best with the St John’s Ambulance course