SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 27th March 2007, 18:02

Default How can i make friends?

I just want more friends in life that i can talk to. Can any one give me some advice? Im at uni but finding it very hard, how can i be more open?
Old 27th March 2007, 21:14

Default Re: How can i make friends?

How about starting off by asking your neighbour whether they have done their homework, if they like the lecture or the professor?? You don't even need to talk about yourself, the important thing is that you do talk and show others that you are interested in them.
Old 27th March 2007, 23:03

if you look for a confidence course in your area here www.learndirect-advice.co.uk

If you search for confidence on the site.

I reckon if you can find some ppl in the same boat in your area, you wont feel so alone, and maybe get a boost in confidence.
Old 27th March 2007, 23:13
Moody Mare

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyjack07
I just want more friends in life that i can talk to. Can any one give me some advice? Im at uni but finding it very hard, how can i be more open?
I take it your more central to Manchester whereas im 45 mins away. Theres a few groups on here who meet regular in the area and they have nights out etc so I read. They are all in the same boat as yourself so its fine to feel akward, I think theres a few meets coming up too on the meets board, itll get you out and with people who know what you are feeling, you never know you might make some new friends too
Old 27th March 2007, 23:42

Mood
Lucky

It's not an easy thing to do but if you can learn to embrace and not judge the fact that you might currently feel awkward/lonely, rather than see it as a bad thing, it can help you to develop yourself. Allow yourself to make mistakes, be rubbish, it's all practice leading to greater experience, rather than failure.

(Apologies for sounding all 'life coach' there, wasn't the intention. :embarass: )

Old 27th March 2007, 23:58
Gecko

I think MM gave some good advice there. I have been to a few meets and have made some good friends, unfortunately they all live miles away but it has certainly helped me feel less unlikeable and loner-ish. It gives you a chance to build some confidence and if relevant, some experience of interacting. Some people I've met felt like they had next to nothing in terms of social skills before attending meets.

I also think bluebottle made some good points. I think we often overlook opportunities to get talking to others. I only made two friends in over six years of Uni, but I wouldn't have even gotten to know them had I not taken the odd chance. I think you might surprise yourself.

Also, you might want to check out the societies. I joined a cheese and wine one and went along a couple of times which was quite fun. Free booze, I wasn't about to complain.

Good luck!
Old 28th March 2007, 00:08
CaughtByTheFuzz

Best of luck with it shyjack07. :hug3:

I do believe that if you make an effort to make friends you'll probably surprise yourself with how many friends you make.

Sorry for the lack of advice from me but I think the other posters have already provided the useful stuff!
Old 28th March 2007, 01:52

From a site that was mentioned here about a week ago:

How to get a social life
Places and ways to meet new people

They both go into a lot of detail. The only catch is they assume you're comfortable with talking to people, inviting them out, and that you make a good impression.
Old 28th March 2007, 02:41

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ubiquitous_Gecko
I also think bluebottle made some good points. I think we often overlook opportunities to get talking to others. I only made two friends in over six years of Uni, but I wouldn't have even gotten to know them had I not taken the odd chance. I think you might surprise yourself.
Six years at uni?

Were you training as a doctor?
Old 28th March 2007, 15:39
CaughtByTheFuzz

^ Could have been doing an MSC or retaking a year. Some regular degrees take 4 years now (with one year's work experience in the middle).