SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 6th February 2017, 14:28

Default Support thread for those with weight issues

Old 6th February 2017, 15:04

Default Re: Support thread for those with weight issues

whats your motivation for losing weight?
Old 6th February 2017, 16:09

Ok. Thats a good piece to refer to.

I'm about 12.5 stone, I have light motivation to lose weight, but one reason being a parent developed hip problems(needed hip replacements) due to weight, I have similar dodgy bones and that is my motivation. My strategy is -only getting good stuff in -improving general cooking skills. I think over time that pair will start to function.
The killer is eating out, buffets and kfc. I want to reduce buffets/kfc to once every 2 months only. And general eating out if I am alert to healthy choices on the menu to once every 2 weeks.

At a former workplace I had a colleague who had weight problems and did every diet under the sun. (slimming world looked the best of the diets she tried) but she never cut down her mass drinking adventures and wondered why she didn't lose anything.
Old 17th February 2017, 17:53

forgive me for I have sinned, a tub of ice cream yesterday and 4 pots of joy today. Belly says 'fat fker'
Old 28th February 2017, 10:49

@ Ramon - I think only getting good stuff in is a good idea. I find if it's there, I'll eat it. In China, when it's your birthday, you give everyone else a gift. I have 50 students, so I'm constantly being given delicious boxes of chocolate. I've started giving the majority away in the staffroom because if I take them home, I'll eat them. All of them. In an evening.

@Cordy - I know what you mean about it being another thing to remember and concentrate on. I often shove stuff in my mouth absent mindedly and then think "aw crap" - I think I need to get out of the habit of grazing all day on whatever I can get my hands on.
Old 1st March 2017, 23:22

I can relate to you Metal Goat. I've been overweight for quite some years now, since my late teens actually. I feel it's very much related to my mental health issues too. On some days I wouldn't feel like eating at all, and on some days I will get the urge to eat so much, in hope of comforting myself. Like sometimes when I can't fall asleep at night, I get the urge to cook something I really like, and sometimes I eat a lot of it, and sometimes I get even more down and feel that this will not bring me any happiness or comfort and I get even more frustrated with myself and end up throwing it all away out of frustration. My diet is so out of order I am worried about my health.

Also, due to being overweight , I look much older. I can't look forward to wearing pretty dresses in summers. I don't feel like buying nice clothes because they wouldn't look good on me. I also don't bother with things such as hair, makeup etc due to this.

My mind feels so weak that even maintaining a good eating (and sleeping) routine is so difficult, let alone exercise.

But anyways, it's not something that's causing me SA/depression or making it worse, rather it's the other way round. So I know if my SA/depression get sorted, weight will also get sorted. I just hope it's not too late by then and I don't get health problems.
Old 2nd March 2017, 19:42

Mood
Innocent

Hi. Just came across this thread and have to say it helps to read others people's experiences - I always feel it's just me being weak when every day I plan to make 'better' choices and find that I never keep it up. I think as people have said that my eating/esteem is linked to my mental health.

Does anyone else have issues with their SA making it hard for them to eat/drink in front of others/in public? I know i've gotten better over the last few years as it's part of my job to take people out for coffees etc but eating especially is a real issue (especially combined with my 'safe' foods not generally being on menus). It's been this way for well over a decade (probably longer...since high school) and now I don't eat away from home. This means i'll leave home early morning and not eat (and often not drink) until I get home in the evening. As a reaction to that I tend to overindulge when I am home and it's 'safe' to eat.

I know I don't respond to physical hunger, it's all tied into my emotions, both good and bad. I can relate when people have spoken about rewarding themselves aswell as comforting. It's like I know what I need to do. I just don't do it...does anyone else feel like that?

Thanks Metal Goat for starting this thread, and to everyone else for sharing. Apologies if i've rambled and overshared (never understand how I can find it so hard to talk but can type/text for england!) Oh and i've had the horrible experience of people assuming you're expecting
Old 5th March 2017, 15:59
Banned at own request

Mood
Dreaming

Definitely not on your own with this one, folks!
My eating habits are really messed up. If I feel I've eaten too much (usually due to stress), I'll go for at least a four day fast (just water). God knows what damage I'm doing to my body :/
Old 5th March 2017, 21:58

Mood
Lonely

I used to have a problem where I would not eat for ages and then eat lots until I got sick. I don't do that anymore though since I live with my parents again now and they would disapprove.