SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Welcome & Introductions Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 16th February 2018, 21:41

Default Hi folks

Hi everyone, new member here. I'm a 39 year old guy from the UK. I've had a look around the forum and can relate to a lot of the posts I've read, so thought I would join you to see if sharing some of my experiences will help.

I've had social anxiety as long as I can remember. When I was 3 or 4, I remember hiding from the other children at school, and being afraid of the large group of children my mum had invited round for my birthday party. I somehow managed to cope well enough to get through my school years and I think I was about 20 before I realised there was something 'different' about me, as I always found it difficult to relate to other people. Despite this, I quite enjoyed my years in university with a few close friends - especially getting as far away from home as possible where I couldn't see anyone from the past.

My anxiety started again around 2003 when I moved in with my girlfriend (now my wife) to our first home. I developed a real fear of the neighbours who lived opposite as they were overly friendly to us when we moved in, and it made me feel uncomfortable. Eventually I went to see a counsellor who offered CBT. This did help me a lot, but not in the way I expected - instead of helping me brave visiting the neighbour, it made me realise that I didn't actually have to visit the neighbour if I didn't want to, as we didn't have anything in common. The neighbour is still opposite but I've not spoken to them since 2003...

After coping for quite a while, my anxiety has become worse again in the last couple of years after a change in circumstances. I have young children and as a result, have started to get to know some other parents in the area. I preferred it when I was anonymous, as I now worry about who I'm going to bump in to and what I'm going to say to them.

On top of this, my job has recently changed and I have been promoted to a manger which means I am no longer just doing a back office job I like and am good at. I've actually found the management side OK with most of the staff I am managing directly, but am really struggling to interact with the other higher-level staff.

On the surface my life probably appears quite successful as I'm married with kids, and am in a well paid job. I have one close friend I've known since I was 9, who I can talk to naturally about most things (although not how bad my anxiety is), and I can talk to my wife. Otherwise I feel quite alienated. I can actually cope reasonably well when faced with new people, especially if I never have to see them again, but really struggle when meeting people for the second, third time - and especially meeting them unexpectedly - as I'll run out of 'stock' questions to ask and my mind will go blank. Most of the time I end up just nodding 'hello' or blanking them, and if I talk to them again I'll find it really awkward. I've even started to feel awkward with my eldest son, who I used to get on really well with when he was younger, and I usually struggle to contribute to internet forums as well which is something I never had problems with when I was in my early 20s (I'm now generally a lurker). I struggle most with telling people about my interests / likes and dislikes - I cope well enough when discussing work stuff professionally, but usually end up lying when anyone asks me what I'm doing at the weekend, what I do outside of work etc. Even my wife and best friend don't really know everything about me - my interests etc.

Anyway that's probably enough for an introduction. I'm hoping that maybe joining a forum with like minded people will help me to gain the confidence to come out of my shell and learn to interact with others again. Thanks for reading.
Old 16th February 2018, 23:56

Default Re: Hi folks

Hello! Welcome to SAUK.
Old 19th February 2018, 20:35

Hi everyone, thanks very much for the warm welcome
Old 21st February 2018, 20:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinny
Do you mind me asking how old your eldest is? I have 2 boys of 11 and 10, I have started to worry about their teenage years coming up.
Hi Jinny - thanks for the welcome. My son is 9 although he already acts like a teenager, he spends most of his time playing computer games... I think he's a bit like me, he's quite shy and likes to spend a lot of time on his own. My younger son (5) is more confident, he's definitely the boss of the house although I find it harder to relate to him / understand his behaviour.

Hopefully the teenage years won't be as bad as you expect. My fear is that my son will turn out like me, but then I may never know - my parents don't really know how I feel. I'd really like to try and help him if I can, but finding social contact difficult and stressful myself makes it difficult to expose him to a lot of social situations outside school.