Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 3rd December 2013, 10:46

Mood
Dreaming

Default Re: Goodbye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber
I find it a bit galling that the bunch of us who weren't here, say pre-2007, are apparently uncaring and ignorant yet we have to put up with comments suggesting we're all dullards. Yep, that'll do our self-esteem a lot of good.
Well I've been here since 2003 and I remember 'the good ol' days' being much more hostile and angry. The Basement was somewhere I was scared to go back then as it felt like a handful of people 'owned' it, constantly arguing the same angry points. Maybe that's just how I saw it, I dunno. I don't think people are more dull now at all.

Today the board feels more peaceful and less hostile. But it has felt a bit quieter lately. Sometimes you get particular people on here who start loads of threads and discussions and make the place a bit more lively, whilst obviously SA holds many of us back from doing that! Guess we should all make an effort to create more threads if we want it to be more lively. I used to create more 'back in the day' than I do now, not sure why.
Old 3rd December 2013, 10:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Fyre
Well I've been here since 2003 and I remember 'the good ol' days' being much more hostile and angry. The Basement was somewhere I was scared to go back then as it felt like a handful of people 'owned' it, constantly arguing the same angry points. Maybe that's just how I saw it, I dunno. I don't think people are more dull now at all.

Today the board feels more peaceful and less hostile. But it has felt a bit quieter lately. Sometimes you get particular people on here who start loads of threads and discussions and make the place a bit more lively, whilst obviously SA holds many of us back from doing that! Guess we should all make an effort to create more threads if we want it to be more lively. I used to create more 'back in the day' than I do now, not sure why.
I think that's a far better course of action than people just moaning about how it isn't 2006 anymore.
Old 3rd December 2013, 10:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber
I think that's a far better course of action than people just moaning about how it isn't 2006 anymore.
This was all fields, people didn't lock their doors, and there was none of that political correctness like you have nowadays.
Old 3rd December 2013, 10:55
Banned at own request

Quote:

The basement was a toxic place?

Remember Mamba?

I use to as well but they were based on college.
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:36

Quote:

I agree with that.
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:38

every board reminensces(sp?) about some imaginary old days.

Sorry to derail Fiona's thread.
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:51

To the OP: I think we all come here with unmet needs in our life, and so we hope for more from the site and the people here than is reasonable or healthy. I'm definitely guilty of that one. People are fallible and complex and struggling with their lives too and it's so easy to forget that and fixate on how we feel about this or that.
Old 3rd December 2013, 13:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMr
To the OP: I think we all come here with unmet needs in our life, and so we hope for more from the site and the people here than is reasonable or healthy. I'm definitely guilty of that one. People are fallible and complex and struggling with their lives too and it's so easy to forget that and fixate on how we feel about this or that.
Really well put, MrMr.
Old 3rd December 2013, 15:13

Mood
Pensive

I think some people on here have differnt degrees of SA so they might find it easier to make friendships even on the internet compared to other people. the more social(chatroom) SA people will all stick together and make in jokes etc. so everyone else will feel left out and not be brave enough to join in as fear of embarassement much like real life
Old 4th December 2013, 07:20

^ I don't get why you think arguments are a good thing. Why don't you just go to YouTube or something if you want that? The YouTube comments section is incredibly 'lively'.

You're saying that SAUK isn't as good as it used to be because people don't argue so much. That's entirely your opinion, not everyone shares it. I would say this forum is better off for not having so many arguments.
Old 4th December 2013, 07:42

^ Yeah, but debates always seem to deteriorate to that level sooner or later, this is the internet after all.
Old 4th December 2013, 08:34

Maybe I'm just cynical and expect every debate to end in tears, but you'd be surprised how few do really, given that this is the interwebz. The Basement is full of threads where interesting things have been debated, discussed and even argued passionately over without descending into childish name-calling and what not. TBH, taking part in debates in the Basement has been enormously helpful to me in the past; it developed my critical thinking skills, my research skills, my confidence in my own views and dealing with conflict. Even ones that end badly and get removed have real value to me, and I assume to the others that take part. Ultimately, I gained far more out of debating things than I have done from, say, the SA room. So no, a site full of bickering and squabbling, not great, but somewhere full of lively, passionate, intelligent debate - bring it on!
Old 4th December 2013, 08:40

^ Well, as you know, I'm very sensitive. It's a bit hard for me to tell the difference between a lively debate and an anger fueled argument.
Old 4th December 2013, 08:59

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP James
^ Well, as you know, I'm very sensitive. It's a bit hard for me to tell the difference between a lively debate and an anger fueled argument.
Well when people start personally insulting others or you get into Godwin's law territory you usually know it's gone too far. Otherwise debate and lively discussions can be great, you can learn a lot from them sometimes.
Old 4th December 2013, 09:13

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona
Everyone just ignores.

I'm sure noone will miss me, as noone actually gives a **** anyway. Guess I don't fit in around here.

Good luck to you all, and carry on all your great friendships.
why not try SA Scotland,.

it's a similar community,. just a bit smaller,. and generally just people from Scotland,.

it's a lot less busy than this site,.

it's so easy on this site to feel overlooked or taken for granted,.

SA Scotland is a very small community so most people get their say and are usually replied to etc.

http://www.sascotland.co.uk/forum/forum.php
Old 4th December 2013, 09:27
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus
Perhaps just personally rather than SAUK wise. I was happier, met someone from here for the first time,went to more places and England won the ashes back after 18 years! Even though SAUK was full of arguments perhaps it did seem to be livelier back then. It often feels like entering a ghost ship these days.
I say SAUK is supposed to be a support site, not something to keep you entertained although lots of us SA folks use it like something to keep us occupied.

Why did you first come here? I might be wrong but I'm betting it was to look for good advice to help your SA rather than something to fill up your time.
Old 4th December 2013, 11:23
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus
Support for many people with SA is often any contact with other people so entertainment is still a form of support or you might as well close down all the sections of SAUK apart for the SA room. I came for a both really, to learn about SA and to fill up my time due to isolation and loneliness even though I was working at the time.
The room with a view area is also useful, perhaps sometimes even more so than the SA section.

I can see what you are saying though. I don't fully know what to advise you but this is a site full of SAers, not everyone is gonna be expressive, I know you say it use to be more lively but see us SAers for what we are.

Yesterday I noticed I match my expectations way to much on par with a non SA, mostly outgoing person. And I was thinking to myself why, I wouldn't expect a schizophrenic, autistic, bipolar etc. person to be the same as someone without a mental disorder so why match my expectations with someone who isn't shy. I know SAers are different to each other.
Old 4th December 2013, 18:03

Sad how this thread's deteriorated, but I can only echo what's been said about arguing, if you want petty arguments and drama, then just go on ANY other internet forum and you'll have plenty, but surely its not too much to ask to have just one forum out of 1000s where that doesn't happen and people can be civil and nice to each other and if a supportive community is boring to anyone, so be it, I prefer that to a nasty forum thank you very much.

And while I agree debate can be a good thing, only to an extent, maybe it can be a good thing in the real world, but on the internet, it rarely is a good thing in my experience.
Old 4th December 2013, 18:48

Mood
Breezy

How many people on this forum have not been responded to by the OP, ever? I'm one. I've even commented on the OP's posts several times but never even got a response. I could take it personally and take the attitude that she obviously doesn't give a **** about me but that would most likely be untrue. I think if you are going to judge others, first you have to apply those same standards to yourself and be honest about it or else you are doing them and yourself a deservice.
Old 4th December 2013, 20:15

^ Yeah you're right Emu, a world where no one can disagree with each other would be silly and even on here, it could be counter productive in some instances if it was against the rules to disagree with anyone. I think I should have used the word argument, rather than debate. Perhaps they're pretty much the same thing, but to me debate is a good and a civilised thing, while argument to me implies it could be a bit heated and I have seen many prolonged arguments on the internet turn into petty war and the name-calling comes out (which I thankfully haven't really seen much on here) and while it may be just the sites I go on, I've seen more uncivilised internet arguments than civilised ones, many people seem to hold the view of 'Its only the internet, so why should I be civil towards anyone', but again no one on this forum seems to share that view thankfully.
Closed Thread