SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 30th November 2013, 16:39

Default Re: Is SA in your genes?

Not sure that was ever 'decided'. One study found a possible link to that particular gene in 2001. I don't think anyone has been able to replicate those findings, so it's far more likely that the original study was flawed. I agree with you that some people are probably born with a higher susceptibly to SA, and I agree that none of us were 'destined' to have SA and all of us are capable of overcoming it.
Old 30th November 2013, 17:01

Mood
Dreaming

As David said, it's really not as simple as saying a particular gene causes anxiety disorders. People would like it to be as simple as gene x = disorder y, because then it would be easy to identify people and find treatments. But the human body and mind are much more complicated than that and environmental factors and multiple genes can play huge rules in conditions. Studies are often flawed and never trust anything the popular media reports about psychological studies.

No one else in my family has SA. My mother has developed an anxiety disorder over the last few years but before then no one in my family had anxiety disorders of any sort. I personally feel my SA was due to environmental factors and my upbringing, but obviously I can't know for certain.
Old 1st December 2013, 20:54

Mood
Gloomy

I feel as if I was born with SA or was at least destined to have it

In reality I am thinking along the same lines as you Amber Fyre in terms of environmental factors and upbringing. My mum is shy so I think that made me more reclusive, meaning I didn't develop social confidence by mixing with other kids and making friends.
Old 1st December 2013, 21:43

Mood
Bored

In my case, most likely, yes (anxiety runs in the family a bit). SA isn't a ‘thing’ – it's just a bunch of symptoms, and they don't have one single definitive cause.
Old 3rd December 2013, 12:37

Well it's the old nature/nurture debate isn't it. Either way I am wary of the genetics argument because whilst I see evidence of SA in my family, I don't want to use that as some kind of comforting reason not to try to grow. On the other hand, maybe it depersonalises it a bit and might make it easier to forgive ourselves and move on that way. Either way I think it's important to notice the emotional reasons why we may like the idea of genetics as an explanation for things, lest it doesn't in fact actually help.
Old 3rd December 2013, 17:20

It's proven that mental illness can be in the genes, such as depression running in the family but nurture especially during childhood and teenage years are vital in your ability to function socially.

People with Asperger's are very prone to developing SA as are people with mental illness such Psychosis, but that is nature and nurture.