Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 6th February 2007, 00:49
CaughtByTheFuzz

Default Re: What makes you cringe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trough
People who use American words and phrases who are not American, e.g. "Can I get a latte?" No you can't, bugger off.

Wanna go catch a movie?
Old 6th February 2007, 11:25

Cloning - its an awful thought.
Old 6th February 2007, 20:10

When someone says something they think is funny but no-one else does but we all laugh to stop that person feeling bad. *cringe*

Chewing cotton wool...not that I do.

Unglazed pottery.

Those old fashioned bed sheets...they were usually yellow or blue..kind of a fuzzy feeling and the sound it makes when you rub your ear against it when trying to sleep.

The insides of my elbows and knees.

Bending a nail backwards.

Any particularly bad social faux pas really.
Old 6th February 2007, 20:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose
Unglazed pottery.
Yeah I'm kind of like that with pebbles from a beach; you know when you sometimes pick some nice ones to take home and put in the garden, and they're fine while they're wet, but as soon as they dry out, I can't bear to touch them . . . it's making me squirm just thinking about it!
Old 6th February 2007, 22:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Scott
It's a disgrace. I was enjoying soaking some old pennies in CILLIT BANG on Saturday when suddenly, I was rudely interupted by what sounded like somebody with a very loud microphone across the road shouting and singing about God. This went on for a couple of hours. Now I could have understood it if they were worshipping the INCREDIBLE CILLIT BANG UNIVERSAL DEGREASER but they weren't.

Oher things that make me cringe:

Annoying adverts on TV
Limescale
Rust
Ground-in-dirt
Old 7th February 2007, 14:21

Cool Re: What makes you cringe?

Peter Stringfellow in his thong on his boat, eww!!!
Old 7th February 2007, 21:58
Intro Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by violet
Periodically, I get emails from a girl (well, woman) I went to school with. She invariably ends every sentence with several exclamation marks, like this!!! It's very irritating!!!! I don't mean to sound harsh, but she has no excuse. She did A level English; not only that but she's currently studying for master's degree.

That must be so annoying!!!!!!

Old 7th February 2007, 22:04
Intro Guy

Quote:
Why, I oughtta...!
Old 7th February 2007, 22:31

Quote:
Also, the noise that is made when you pull out a piece of polystyrene that's tightly wedged inside a cardboard box. And balloons in general.
I don't mind that so much...but the noise you get if you rub two pieces of polystyrene together...ugh, horrid!
Old 8th February 2007, 09:42

Quote:
Periodically, I get emails from a girl (well, woman) I went to school with. She invariably ends her sentences with several exclamation marks, like this!!! It's very irritating!!!! I don't mean to sound harsh, but she has no excuse. She did A level English; not only that but she's currently studying for a master's degree.
It must drive you mad as you first were reminded of it from my post about Mr Stringfellow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

P.S. I too have an A Level in English Language, perhaps thats why I'm allowed to manipulate the syntax and lexicon of sentences a little, not to mention the semantics too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 8th February 2007, 10:47

When Kids Bite their wooly gloves, and plant pots.
Old 8th February 2007, 11:06

- People who talk too much
Especially those clearly trying to impress, when infact they have no idea what they're on about.. eg certain people at work. Just piiiiisssssss offfff, OK?
-That office jargon which drives me nuts (think outside the box, etc).
- Biting my fork ... ughhhhhhh
- Most adverts generally.
Particularly the admiral one which sings oh-eight hundred-double-oh-ten-sixty-six (Look! I even know the friggin' phone number by heart! ) Every time he sings it, I want to kill the TV.
Old 8th February 2007, 11:29

Defensiveness and awkward personalities are truly cringeworthy, I always steer clear of them (never take it to heart, just makes them feel contented, that's all hehe.)

Also, reading into something whats not really there, thats a bit of a cringer too.
Old 8th February 2007, 19:35

Mood
Happy

Watching people make fools of themselves! In real life, on tv, even in sit-coms!

Also on programmes like Casualty & Holby city - I know they're not operating on a real human body but I still don't like to watch! So of course it's worse on real life hospital programmes!
Old 9th February 2007, 10:52
Ruby1

Gillian Mckeith talking bout the 'perfect poo' with such enthusiasm
People who say "as you do" at the end of every sentence as you do
Fake smiles on people like Cherie Blair and Victoria Beckham it just looks silly stop it!
My hubby pulling out his nasal hair with his finger
That bit in the film 'Ghost' where the bad guys finger slips down the glass as he dies.
The scene in 'Misery' where she hammers his legs *whimpers*
British Lamb ads Baaaaaaa
Old 9th February 2007, 16:42

Mood
Fine

Touching cotton wool and building insulation type materials !

NeilM
Old 10th February 2007, 15:10

tomato ketchup....just thinkin bout it makes me cringe
Old 10th February 2007, 15:16
CaughtByTheFuzz

Ooh that's a goodun I_am_me_again, wonder what it is about ketchup that makes you cringe?

Cillit Bang ads makes me cringe, the product really doesn't work.

Sorry, Barry Scott
Old 10th February 2007, 15:27

I often go for walks in the countryside and there seems to be more ticks about these days in the woods and long grass, Im not a great fan of them, but they seem to like me. I had to remove one from my testicle a while back, I can safely say that ticks make me cringe.
Old 10th February 2007, 15:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaughtByTheFuzz
Ooh that's a goodun I_am_me_again, wonder what it is about ketchup that makes you cringe?

Cillit Bang ads makes me cringe, the product really doesn't work.

Sorry, Barry Scott
Ok...get this, I like fresh tomatoes, I like tomatoes Puree. But I dont like tinned tomatoes, & I dont like fried/baked/grilled tomatoes.

Tomato ketchup....ugh...yuck, cant even have it in the house, the stench of it....makes mefeel nautiuos, i dont wanna chat bout it...yuck
Old 10th February 2007, 15:46
CaughtByTheFuzz

Hehe.

You'd hate the festival in Spain then where people have massive tomato fights and roll in all the tomato juice and pulp. I don't mind squashed tomatoes, but I do find that gross. I just googled some pictures of it, but I won't show you.

Old 10th February 2007, 16:53

I tell u what else makes me cringe....

The advert about sheilas wheels.

"For ladies who insure their cars, shielas wheels are superstars, women make the safest drivers, u could save a bunch of fivers....for bonzer car insurance deals...girls get on to sheilas wheels"
Old 12th February 2007, 17:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_me_again
I tell u what else makes me cringe....

The advert about sheilas wheels.

"For ladies who insure their cars, shielas wheels are superstars, women make the safest drivers, u could save a bunch of fivers....for bonzer car insurance deals...girls get on to sheilas wheels"
Oh I HATE that advert so much! It's is SO annoying it makes me want to SHOUT!
Old 14th February 2007, 20:21

Mood
Tired

That bloke who is presenting the BRIT Awards - Russell Brand is it? He looks like the guy out of 80s band 'Dead Or Alive' and quite frankly, is about as funny as toothache. He tries so hard to be funny but he just makes me cringe.

I also can't stand Graham Norton, Davina McCall, Dale Winton or Ainsley Harriott. Their sycophantic, endless fake enthusiasm is embarassing to watch.

Jade Goody. For obvious reasons.

Snow Patrol, Muse, Coldplay, Kasabien. Dullsville. Middle of the road. Snoresome.

Gnarls Barclay. WHY?!

I'm also with Barry on the Sheila's Wheels ads plus you can add 0800 000 1066 or whatever it is, Elephant.co.uk....oh sod it, add every car insurance company to that list. Anyway, surely it's sexist to have a car insurance company only for women, claiming they are better drivers? Now I am not denying or supporting that statement as I've seen very good and damn awful drivers of both sexes, you can't tar everyone with the same brush but if somebody set up a company called "Bruces Wheels" going on about how fantastic men were at driving, no doubt there would be a rush odf complaints.
Old 15th February 2007, 01:11

Talking of adverts, those M&S ones really get my goat "This isn't ordinary food, this is M&S food . . ." That woman's smug, self-satisfied voice . . . (shudder).
Old 15th February 2007, 10:27

Yeah but nothing beats Picture Loans for sheer cringe-worthiness, surely.

The funny thing is, these ads are really effective in sticking into your mind but ultimately, because I HATE them so much, they are literally the LAST people I would call if I needed a loan/car insurance/breakfast cereal, whatever the case may be. So with me all that repetitive crap is totally counterproductive. They can all take a hike really.
I don't think i've ever been taken in by an advert except perhaps that herbal essence orgasmic one which is actually damn good stuff.
Old 15th February 2007, 14:54

^ Good call Scarlett, that's another ad that will make me switch channels.

Slightly OT, but one of those type of ads creases me up -- " . . . Norton finance staff are waiting to take your call; this is Gareth" and Gareth has to sit through the rest of the ad wearing a fixed cheesy grin
Old 15th February 2007, 15:40

Ha, I know the one you mean, that one's incredibly sad. I feel sorry for that poor guy, it looks painful.

I just wonder which eejit piped up at some board meeting :I know! Let's have a total nob asking for a loan while his wife is filming him, cos it's such a life-changing experience they'll want to get it all on camera, innit; And next we'll have her babbling on about her son losing his blasted scoo'er'.

How these people think that we'll rush out and buy their products, is a mystery.
Old 15th February 2007, 21:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by trough
^ Good call Scarlett, that's another ad that will make me switch channels.

Slightly OT, but one of those type of ads creases me up -- " . . . Norton finance staff are waiting to take your call; this is Gareth" and Gareth has to sit through the rest of the ad wearing a fixed cheesy grin
Gareth will have a long wait! If you wanbt to advertise something, there's nothing better than SHOUTING about it. If I had a loo like the one on my latest ad, I'd blow it up, not use Cillit Bang but it shows howe powerful it is!
Closed Thread