No 13 43.33%
I'm ignorant and think comics are for kids 0 0%
I'm not ignorant and think comics are for kids 3 10.00%
I think comics are for kids but still read them 3 10.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 13th May 2007, 23:36

Default Do you read comics?

I read comics because I have no attention span and find reading difficult because it's so hard for me to concentrate (though I've read The Time Traveller's Wife and Ender's Game which were quite good). Though I'd honestly prefer to read a good book for deeper storylines. Although there are a lot of adult comics out there, I don't think they can compete with the best books. Comics are fun though. I'm reading mainly Marvel comics at the moment, but if anyone has any recommendations then I'd like to hear them.
Old 14th May 2007, 00:18

Mood
Pensive

Default Re: Do you read comics?

I was into comics right up til my early twenties but not now I'm afraid. I think I'd read them if I was really bored and there was nothing else to read.
Old 15th May 2007, 11:12

I used to be really into graphic novels...like Neil Gaiman's stuff etc

I haven't read any in quite a while. Funnily enough, I started a thread a couple of years back asking if any other women liked reading graphic novels but one member of SAUK misinterpreted the word "graphic" and it all got a bit confused and died!! :embarass:
Old 15th May 2007, 11:14

I used to nab me brothers Beanos when he wasn't looking nowadays i nab me sons. The Dandy never really hit the spot for me.
Old 15th May 2007, 11:16

I don't read either, as I also have no concentration nor attention span... whatsoever, so I also couldn't concentrate enough to read comics.

In fact, the only book I've read in the past, like, five years has been Nineteen Eighty-Four.
Old 15th May 2007, 11:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose
I used to be really into graphic novels...like Neil Gaiman's stuff etc
I used to love his Death: The High Cost of Living and Death: The Time of Your Life. Never got into Sandman though. Went right over my head.
Old 15th May 2007, 13:48

I used to read the Beano, I thought it was great and all my mates did. I've still got stacks of comics, comic libraries and annuals in the loft. I could never read them now though.

I also used to read Marvel and DC comics too.
Old 15th May 2007, 14:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walnut
I used to nab me brothers Beanos

I bet that made his eyes water!
Old 15th May 2007, 14:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by givusabud
I bet that made his eyes water!

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy to see you bud
Old 15th May 2007, 14:20

Thanks Walnut but, err, do i know you?
Old 15th May 2007, 14:23

^never seen you before in me life
Old 15th May 2007, 14:53

Rather like Winnie, I read them til my early 20s but not much after that stage. I was very heavily into the American superhero genre in the late 70s and amassed quite a large collection. My favourites were probably the X-Men which had just relauched at the time with "all-new, all-different" characters including Wolverine. I have read a few comics since, and the best has probably been Watchmen.
Old 15th May 2007, 17:04

I used to love the Beano. I don't think comics are just for kids but haven't picked one up in quite a while.
Old 15th May 2007, 21:53

Mood
Lucky

I used to be well into graphic novels and indy/underground comix years back but haven't really read much recently, which is a pity as there is so much great stuff out there if you look beyond your Marvels/DCs etc.

A few weeks back, I dug out my old issues of Zap Comix/Weirdo from the attic and I'm getting a buzz about that type of stuff again.
Old 15th May 2007, 22:02

I'm not even sure if I could ever get rid of any of my comics, too much nostalgia and a lot of memories tied up with em, and the majority wouldn't be worth much either, even if they are really old, like from the late 70's/early 80's.

Just remembering now that I've still got all my old Ghostbusters comics, my mum would always buy me one and a load of sweets for me for when she went out for the night, then The Equalizer (cool theme tune) would usually come on later too.

Then there there's the horror comics called Wicked with Slimer on the front, anyone remember them? I remember the first issue came with some vampire teeth.
Old 15th May 2007, 22:37

Mood
Spooky

I loved comics, up till my mid 20's :embarass: then I got them out of habit till my late 20's, but rarely read them.

I got a graphic novel about Wolverines origin, last year/early this year, but it didn't rekindle the magic.
Old 15th May 2007, 23:21

Did anyone also read any of the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers stuff? I loved that at the time...read a little book recently I've got here on Fat Freddy's cat....made me smile, if not just for nostalgia reasons.

As a kid I read the Beano, Whizzer and Chips and The Dandy, but like someone else said...wasn't so keen on that.

I also used to read Oink! Does anyone remember that? And Viz, Tank Girl...*tries to think of others*
Old 15th May 2007, 23:53

I've read a little Masamune Shirow. GitS in comic book form hurts my head.
Old 16th May 2007, 02:39

Mood
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose
Did anyone also read any of the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers stuff? I loved that at the time...read a little book recently I've got here on Fat Freddy's cat....made me smile, if not just for nostalgia reasons.

As a kid I read the Beano, Whizzer and Chips and The Dandy, but like someone else said...wasn't so keen on that.

I also used to read Oink! Does anyone remember that? And Viz, Tank Girl...*tries to think of others*
The Freak Brothers stuff is still really good. There's so much of it, you really get into them as 'people' (even Fat Freddy's cat, like you mention!)

I used to read Oink!, too, as a nipper, but it rapidly lost its appeal once I got given a copy of Viz (when it was still funny, which is a very long, long time ago now...)
Old 16th May 2007, 03:12

Mood
Cool

I occationally read the old Dan Dare comics that my old man's collected, otherwise no.
Closed Thread