Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 17th March 2020, 23:29
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Default Re: Small things that annoy you (3)

They are rather nice, richer some how.

Oh yeah! I forgot - you and bloody sausages Bet you've been hoarding all the chorizo
Old 17th March 2020, 23:29

Honestly, these eggs are appalling - the yolk is barely yellow and my preference are for orange yolk, so this is pretty lowly. These eggs should be illegal.
Old 17th March 2020, 23:37

^^ Cared for chooks = better quality eggs!

Nah, i've moved haven't i, so no more chorizo (from the neighbour). I've just been living on a diet of sausage/salmon with a variety of veg
Old 17th March 2020, 23:42

The shelves are still empty in my local superstore. It seems that as fast as the staff re-stock them they are being stripped clean. For Christ sake, people are so ****g greedy and selfish. It has been stressed over and over that the food supplies are fine, that panic buying is silly, and that it causes problems for the old and isolated. But they just ignore all that. When I went in there last night it was like a scene from a zombie movie - plastic crates upended, fruit and veg racks totally empty, etc. And this is just a nasty flu strain that kills about 3 in every 100. Imagine how they would behave if it really WAS a horror disease that killed half those who caught it! They’d literally be clawing and stabbing each other in the aisles. If climate change leads to some kind of social collapse, I honestly think I will climb into bed with a bottle of vodka and sleeping pills and end it all. One to one there is a lot of love and goodness in people, but en mass, when panicked and afraid, they are monsters.
Old 18th March 2020, 00:19

Mood
Cynical

^ My local co-op has just instituted a limit of two items per person of everything, seems pretty sensible to me. I think other shops are going to need to start doing the same.
Old 18th March 2020, 00:23

^ That might be nationwide then cos i've just learnt that from my local co-op.
Old 18th March 2020, 00:39

Mood
Cynical

^ Good policy I think.
Old 18th March 2020, 00:41

About bloody time i think.
Old 18th March 2020, 13:31
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Spud
^^ Cared for chooks = better quality eggs!

Nah, i've moved haven't i, so no more chorizo (from the neighbour). I've just been living on a diet of sausage/salmon with a variety of veg
Aww that's a shame. Are you not tempted to buy some? (I have no idea if chorizo is expensive or not).

I tend to eat much of the same things too.
Old 18th March 2020, 16:52

Mood
Lurking

I was in an Aldi earlier, and they seemed to have plenty on the shelves. But you are only allowed 4 of any one item. An older lad had 6 x 4 cans of beer, and the checkout assistant told him he could only have a maximum of 4, he thought she meant only 4 cans not 4 packs, he was mightily relived when she explained it.
Old 18th March 2020, 19:04

Mood
Fine

Thankfully, Asda have started rationing the products that were being hoarded (3 items per customer), and already there seems to be an improvement in available stocks.

Still lots of empty shelves, but slight improvement on yesterday.

This should have been done a week ago , mind
Old 19th March 2020, 01:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo34
Aww that's a shame. Are you not tempted to buy some? (I have no idea if chorizo is expensive or not).

I tend to eat much of the same things too.
Yeah, just not now, i'm keeping things very simple, probably as a reaction to relocating and not wanting the clutter of thinking about 'what shall i have for dinner tonight.. ?'

You eat samey stuff, too?? I got the impression you try/tried all sorts
Old 19th March 2020, 17:14
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

^yeah when I get a chance to i like trying recipes and new things. But generally speaking I eat the same meals/food stuffs most weeks.

Atleast currently.
Old 19th March 2020, 17:18
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

When your told an engineer has been booked for your lack of internet but you dont need to be at home for them, only to get a phone call from said engineer saying he needs access to your home. And your 10 miles away

Got to book another engineer appointment now *sigh*
Old 25th March 2020, 11:50

Just realised that i've bought kitchen roll instead of the toilet variety
Old 28th March 2020, 00:04

One of the puppies chewed my glasses and I was meant to have an appointment at the opticians so I could replace them, but missed it because I was ill, I'm not sure if opticians are opening at the moment, but even if they are I'll be too scared to go even after my self isolating period ends. I can barely read, You're all just a blur.
Old 28th March 2020, 18:36

Alcohol shortage at the Co-op meaning only 1 of each alcoholic item allowed - i grabbed a couple of 4-packs but not what i wanted really
Old 30th March 2020, 16:35

All these bloody video chats.

It's the little window that you see of yourself. Gahhhh. I don't want to see myself, tyvm!

I'm gonna have to buy some eye patches with eyes on them so I don't have to see myself.
Old 30th March 2020, 17:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Spud
Alcohol shortage at the Co-op meaning only 1 of each alcoholic item allowed - i grabbed a couple of 4-packs but not what i wanted really
Too many people using it to make home sanitiser.
Old 30th March 2020, 19:37

Mood
Lurking

All the pensioners out and about in their cars through the day, so much for them staying home for their own safety.
Old 30th March 2020, 20:04

Mood
Cynical

^ Well atleast they're in their cars and not walking along in the street.
Old 31st March 2020, 17:26
Global Moderator

Mood
Tired

The repetitive use of the phrase 'ramping up' by politicians during the daily Coronavirus briefing.
Old 31st March 2020, 17:34

People who don't contribute anything to the world except their own opinions
Old 31st March 2020, 17:50

^ I'll get my coat!
Old 31st March 2020, 18:10

^lol

You aren't opinionated
You're full of great advice and kind words.

I was more thinking about people who have something to say about everything, without wondering why their opinions are so important
It's just to do with the way I have been brought up (many very opinionated, shouty family members)

I don't normally feel so negative, I get irritable when I feel down. or 'nangy' as we would call it around here.
Old 1st April 2020, 00:00

Moralising (in general)

Moralising memes (in particular today)

I have 2 people on my facebook account who have had a little moan about finding lockdown difficult or worrying about things that don't seem so important to me in a global crisis (one was complaining her daughter wouldn't be able to go travelling this year)
I get that those attitudes can seem a bit spoiled, but I think people rarely are so self involved that they only worry about their own little life and don't see the bigger picture.

But despite the fact that the vast majority of people seem to be reacting sensibly to the lockdown and are just trying to get through it and maybe find ways to help each other or cheer each other up, and despite the fact that the whole country clapped it's appreciation for the nhs in this time of crises and the overwhelming majority of people seem to be doing their best to do the right thing....

I am finding my facebook feed full of snarky little moralising memes. I just read one that showed how extremely difficult the lockdown is comparatively in poorer countries..along the lines of "is your food shop tricky?" then showing people in dire poverty...as though we all need reminding about that..

Who on earth is making these memes and who do they think they're aiming them at? Yes, some people have a selfish attitude, but posting finger wagging memes on facebook really doesn't tackle wealth inequality, or any other socio-economic issue. It seems to me less about caring deeply about something and more about a quick way for people to demonstrate that they think they're probably morally superior to the toilet roll grabbers
Old 1st April 2020, 06:06

Weren't you thinking about temporarily closing your Facebook account recently? It doesn't seem like you're having any positive experiences on there so might be worth considering to get away from stuff like that.
Old 1st April 2020, 10:05

I was yes, that was more to do with a spate of upsetting animal welfare posts that as someone else discussed recently, can be really upsetting.

The other problem with facebook is that it shines a light on how empty my life can be, because other people are much busier and sociable.

But I think to counter that I need to build on having a fuller life, not cut contact with people even further. In particular my old friends from my teens/20s who, while I don't see them anymore, I still like and enjoy keeping in touch with and also my sister, who lives abroad and facebook is my only contact with her. I don't think this is a good time to cut off social media, but thank you for the suggestion.

My ranting is just a sign that my mood is low and I get irritable, when normally I am pretty easy going, but it doesn't matter to me that much, I'm just passing the time having a little bit of a moan.
Old 2nd April 2020, 10:49

^ I like your attitude about your issue with social media, Nanuq - although if there are people who are making you feel like your life is empty, you could always "unfollow" them rather than "unfriend" them - so you still have them on Facebook, but you don't get their updates in your feed (or whatever it's called - I don't have social media myself). Anyway, I hope that you are able to build the fuller life you want - once this current situation has eased!

Three times in the last couple of days I've made blog posts and then (and it always happens at the end) lost everything - I'm typing away, then the text highlights and disappears before I can stop it! I have no idea what I'm hitting accidentally which causes this and I am now trying to remember to save the draft at the end of each paragraph, but sometimes I get into a flow and forget. It's really annoying (you can replace the word really with the one I was going to use), especially as I have nobody but myself to blame!

To cap it all, I started rewriting the entry I lost at 2.30 this morning, then my internet went off for a few minutes and I lost that too! Oh well, third time lucky!

Before anybody asks, yes I do know that I'm not logged in as gregarious_introvert - but my gripe related to the blog I'm writing on this account!
Old 2nd April 2020, 14:39

^aghh, that's so annoying for you.

Sometimes that's happened to me when it's taken me so long reply to a message or so long to write a post, that the site has logged me out

I always feel too defeated to rewrite things