SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 29th March 2020, 10:25

Default Re: What are you doing right now? (6)

A whole lotta sneezin.
Old 29th March 2020, 11:44

Licking my glistening clean teeth
Old 29th March 2020, 11:57

I haven't even got up yet.
Old 29th March 2020, 12:00

It's a tremendous undertaking for sure.

I just about managed it, and in a short space of time i've already brushed my teeth, showered, made a brew, tommy tanked and now i'm sat eating breakie.
Old 29th March 2020, 15:37
Co-Administrator

Tommy tanked
Old 29th March 2020, 18:31

Shaking and close to tears

An acquaintance on Facebook just shared the most appalling video of a woman abusing a cat. She wanted her friends to share it so that the evil woman in the video can be denounced but I immediately deleted it as the video was so upsetting. The image will stay with me all evening now and beyond. How do I tell her politely not to send me anything like that ever again? If she sends me anything like that again I think I will unfriend her
Old 29th March 2020, 19:25

^ I would just say something like "eugh! Don't send me stuff like that!!"

People who share those animal rights/extreme cruelty videos usually get put on mute or defriended depending on who they are. It's not something I want my eyes to see.
Old 30th March 2020, 00:06

Why do people share this stuff?

Unless it's with the police or RSPCA, why share it with normal people when it's so upsetting?

Maybe it makes them feel like they're being constructive and fighting cruelty in some way, but they aren't at all. Rather than upsetting perfectly decent people it would have been much more productive for the woman in question to send a donation to the RSPCA who need funding to investigate and prosecute for this kind of thing.
Old 30th March 2020, 00:17

Mood
Sad

Sounds like she wants the woman in the video to face public humiliation rather then some sicko who gets off sharing animal abuse videos. Personally I wouldn't unfriend anyone who shared those videos with me as I know their hearts are in the right place.
Old 30th March 2020, 11:20

@ Biscuits - I agree. Like you, I'm well aware of the appalling things that humans do to animals but I really really really don't need to see it

@ Nanuq - I think by sharing the most shocking images of animal abuse with ordinary people like ourselves, rather than having any kind of constructive outcome (the abuser is named, shamed and most importantly convicted) it prompts people to block out ALL content of animal cruelty. If the video had come with a warning I wouldn't have had such a problem, but the fact that I was forced to see something so utterly horrific that is continuing to haunt me today and that there is absolutely nothing I can do about it (the incident didn't even take place in this country) has affected me very badly. The woman in the video was doing what she was doing as her young child looked on which made it all the more upsetting. To me, that felt like a form of child abuse as well as sickening animal abuse. I immediately deleted the video because there was no way I could put other animal lovers on my friends list through that

@ Percy - I was shocked and angry when I posted about the video here and haven't unfriended the person who shared it as I know that she herself is an animal lover and was coming from a good place. I very much doubt I will say anything to her either as I wouldn't like to offend her. I'll just have to be far more cautious about clicking on videos that she in particular shares.

When I was in my teens (before the Internet!) I used to send a monthly donation to a world wildlife charity but over time the images that came through the post became increasingly explicit. Eventually I asked my mum to remove all of the images for me before I could read the information. Then she couldn't bare to see the awful images either and the donations stopped. When content becomes TOO graphic charities are doing themselves and ultimately the animals they are wanting to save and protect absolutely no favours
Old 30th March 2020, 12:00

^ That's so true, Consolida and you've highlighted a problem that animal charities ought to be more aware of.

I was the same as a teenager, I used to be a member of 'libearty' which I think was a part of the WWF, but particularly put in place to fight cruelty to bears. They would send a monthly newsletter and although it was full of their successes, it highlighted a new plight every time...maybe feeling that you needed reminding that there was still lots of work that needed funding? But eventually I couldn't cope with it anymore.

Just as you mention about child abuse, the NSPCC don't share shocking things to fund raise and likewise neither should animal charities. Kind people don't need shocking into being supportive and helpful, but sensitive people who might normally support charities might withdraw support because they can't cope with the images that the charities put out. I have found I have less strength to emotionally cope with these things as I have got older.
Old 30th March 2020, 13:20

Trying not to fall into an unproductive mull hole.
Old 30th March 2020, 13:44

^ I'm still not showered and dressed Bet the unproductive mull hole I've fallen down is deeper than yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuq
^
Just as you mention about child abuse, the NSPCC don't share shocking things to fund raise and likewise neither should animal charities. Kind people don't need shocking into being supportive and helpful, but sensitive people who might normally support charities might withdraw support because they can't cope with the images that the charities put out. I have found I have less strength to emotionally cope with these things as I have got older.
Oh absolutely. I don't understand why some of the animal charities can't see this.
Old 30th March 2020, 14:25

^ Aw - I've had some days like that recently. Hope things pick up. (Say no to the hole!!!)
Old 31st March 2020, 01:34

Mood
Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consolida
@ Percy - I was shocked and angry when I posted about the video here and haven't unfriended the person who shared it as I know that she herself is an animal lover and was coming from a good place. I very much doubt I will say anything to her either as I wouldn't like to offend her. I'll just have to be far more cautious about clicking on videos that she in particular shares.

When I was in my teens (before the Internet!) I used to send a monthly donation to a world wildlife charity but over time the images that came through the post became increasingly explicit. Eventually I asked my mum to remove all of the images for me before I could read the information. Then she couldn't bare to see the awful images either and the donations stopped. When content becomes TOO graphic charities are doing themselves and ultimately the animals they are wanting to save and protect absolutely no favours
I can understand the animal charities logic. Shock and awe tactics must work for them otherwise they wouldn't use them. I wonder what the proportion between those who are more likely to donate when viewing these images and those who are less likely is.
Old 2nd April 2020, 13:29

Mood
Dreaming

i'm considering what would be in the ultimate sandwich. this is gonna take some time. i've already found the perfect bagel but with a sandwich theres a lot more to think about..
Old 2nd April 2020, 13:59

Mood
Shoveit

Washing them draws
Old 5th April 2020, 15:40

Trying to pirate a film called Greenberg.

Bloody progress bar still at 0%
Old 5th April 2020, 21:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Spud
Trying to pirate a film called Greenberg.

Bloody progress bar still at 0%
I guess you sorted this by now , but if not I have a working link
Old 5th April 2020, 21:21

Got it sorted and already watched it, thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 20:13

Feeling pathetically good about having done the washing up.
Old 7th April 2020, 21:40

Fending off thirsty women.
Old 7th April 2020, 23:37

watching the new Better Call Saul again and ironing.
Old 8th April 2020, 02:46

Mood
Blah

^^ What a problem to have
Old 8th April 2020, 10:12

Quote:
Feeling pathetically good about having done the washing up.
Men being disproportionately proud of completing an everyday task and wanting to tell everyone what they've achieved?
Glad there's still some normality in the world
Old 8th April 2020, 10:17

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Fending off thirsty women.
Make sure they stay 2m away
Old 8th April 2020, 10:32

^^^ Ha, if you want unwanted attention go and become a courier, i highly recommend it, especially in recent times, they're mighty hungry atm!

^^ Touche!

^ Physically, yes, it was via text, but mentally i think she was gently trying to straddle me!
Old 8th April 2020, 12:25

Mood
Cynical

^ Sounds like a pleasant thing to happen, maybe she'd like to do it for real when the lock down's finally over
Old 8th April 2020, 13:07

Mood
Dreaming

i've found a huge vacant car park near me containing rows of street lamps and gravel mounds surrounded by tarmac roads..with a nice view of the peak district. i'm now at home drinking coffee after having a part walk, part tai chi, part felix the reaper boogie round it to the black eyed peas and ellie gouldings version of tessellate. the security footage would probably be a chuckle, twas really nice weather for it though.
Old 8th April 2020, 13:40

^^^ I suppose couriers are the new rock stars in this covid-19 world...

I'm carrying on with a course on MS Access. It's rather dry old Access, rather dry.