Default Re: How is everyone holding up?

^ Big hugs, lady. Hope you're okay.
Old 31st March 2020, 16:33

Lots of inspirational stuff, from the Warhammer 40k universe

Old 31st March 2020, 17:46

^^^ I hope that tomorrow is a better day for you, lovely Biscuits x

I am feeling low, I'm not feeling 100% physically better, which isn't helping as my house could do with a proper spring clean, with us all being in all day. And I'm bored. And my husband is annoying me by having lots of important things to do from home, whereas everything I do is of no use to anyone. I did go out today to pick up a prescription, and I thought getting out would help mentally, but it doesn't seem to because the world isn't familiar or normal.
Mainly I think it's having my family at home witnessing how sad my day to day life is. They all have stuff to do online and all I do is wash stuff and cook. I wish I had a proper job to not be at.
Old 31st March 2020, 18:43

^^^^
You play a critical role in your household - how unorganized would your house be if you disappeared for a couple of weeks? Just because you don't get paid to do what you do, don't mean it's any less important. If everything you did was easy, why do so many people live in messy homes - most humans are lazy and cannot be bothered. Give yourself some credit!
Old 31st March 2020, 18:53

Thank you, Appear and Nanuq .

Very sorry to read that you're also struggling today, Nanuq. Let's make sure we do something extra nice tomorrow.
Old 1st April 2020, 06:15

I think I must be worrying more than usual because this is the second night that I've been awake at stupid o'clock for hours.
Old 1st April 2020, 09:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azalea
I'm definitely finding it hard, my kids are 90 miles away and I won't see them till the end of June at the earliest as I have to stay in for 12 weeks
I have plenty to do, just finding it hard to get motivated.
Are you doing ok? Have you been able to get some food and anything else you need? Take care, Azelea.

I'm just about OK. I can't imagine feeling safe again.
Old 1st April 2020, 11:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azalea
I'm definitely finding it hard, my kids are 90 miles away and I won't see them till the end of June at the earliest as I have to stay in for 12 weeks
I have plenty to do, just finding it hard to get motivated.
It's difficult because they aren't meant to travel long distance unless is essential. I hope you're keeping well and have some support available closer to home.
Old 1st April 2020, 18:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG_UK
I'm sorry to hear that newbs, me too...I woke up at around 2 am and couldn't sleep...mind racing, heart pounding. So tired today. My mental health has taken a real hit in the last couple of weeks
I hope you're feeling better now.
Old 1st April 2020, 19:44

to everyone who needs them!

This situation is not causing my issues but it's definitely not helping,the nightmares and waking up in a panic attack are back,fun times
Old 2nd April 2020, 12:50

If anyone is particularly bored and wants my eternal thankfulness, I'm looking for volunteers to pilot a study I've put together that I'll be running soon for ma course. Your responses to the items won't be used - I just need to get an idea of the time it takes people to complete (you don't need to time it yourself - it's recorded automatically) and get some more eyes on the text for typos etc.

It should take about 20 minutes, so if you're interested, see the link below. If you spot anything odd or don't understand something make a note and let me know. It's best done on desktop or on a tablet turned on its side - it just makes the response options easier to view and select.

(I think this is alright for me to post, mods, as it's not actual research.)
Old 2nd April 2020, 13:12

Blissfully happy at how quiet everywhere now is. I went for a jog yesterday evening and barely saw a car. This lockdown makes you realise how insanely overcrowded and noisy our world has become. I felt so much calmer not having cars constantly zooming past me. When things return to normal, we are going to find it overwhelming.
Old 2nd April 2020, 13:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moksha
Blissfully happy at how quiet everywhere now is. I went for a jog yesterday evening and barely saw a car. This lockdown makes you realise how insanely overcrowded and noisy our world has become. I felt so much calmer not having cars constantly zooming past me. When things return to normal, we are going to find it overwhelming.
Yeah I've noticed this...the world has become so quiet, and it's quite calming, especially given the reduction in road traffic and the noise and pollution that comes with it. I have noticed more people out and about in the local countryside however, and trying to maintain a 2m distance has been occasionally difficult! It will definitely be strange when we do get back to normal.
Old 2nd April 2020, 14:26

^Yes, for me living on the edge of a village, just where the most popular walk starts, I'm used to it being quiet on weekdays because most people are at work normally. It's much busier here with everyone out walking around and not many people seem too bothered about trying to keep the 2 metre distance, I went for a walk yesterday and pinned myself to the side of a bridge as a cyclist went passed about 1 ft away, then he shouted "Thank you!!" at me as he did it...with his big spitty mouth.
Old 2nd April 2020, 14:58

shameless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appear
If anyone is particularly bored and wants my eternal thankfulness, I'm looking for volunteers to pilot a study I've put together that I'll be running soon for ma course. Your responses to the items won't be used - I just need to get an idea of the time it takes people to complete (you don't need to time it yourself - it's recorded automatically) and get some more eyes on the text for typos etc.

It should take about 20 minutes, so if you're interested, see the link below. If you spot anything odd or don't understand something make a note and let me know. It's best done on desktop or on a tablet turned on its side - it just makes the response options easier to view and select.

(I think this is alright for me to post, mods, as it's not actual research.)

[done.]
Old 2nd April 2020, 18:25

Ok I know there are already a lot of deaths, but it will keep growing exponentially, unless we contimue to do the social distancing. The numbers will eventually start to decrease again. We can expect between 10 and 20k deaths this year in the UK. The death rate appears to follow a normal distribution, which is good, because obviously if it keeps growing exponentially it will eventually kill everyone, but from looking at Italy, it seems that it starts to decrease once peoples immune systems have a chance to fight the infection quicker than it can infect new people.

Most of the deaths will be concentrated over the next 3-4 weeks, but it will improve. If we don't have a vaccine by next year, we could have another season, like the flu, but hopefully not.
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:35

Mood
Musical

Well its finally happened i've been furloughed from work for three weeks and maybe more weeks from today so things are going to be alot different for me in the coming weeks as i can't work from home... i'm going to draw up a routine of things to do each day and hopefully stick to it... gonna go for a run first thing to keep active.. i've already started this yesturday just gonna go round the block at first its only a mile so not to far and just to build up to a bigger route when i'm comfortable in doing so... gotta lot of stuff to do round the house n sort things out that i don't need any longer.. also got stuff to do in the garden so hopefully won't get bored but but but i need to keep motivated to do these things and sometimes that hard to do!
Old 3rd April 2020, 12:19

Not very well.
Old 14th April 2020, 22:46

hardly any jet trails in the sky.
Old 16th April 2020, 13:43

Mood
Cynical

Nanuq, I hope you feel better soon
Old 16th April 2020, 14:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbander
hardly any jet trails in the sky.
It's nice, isn't it?
Old 16th April 2020, 17:01

My son is the only thing keeping me afloat.
Old 16th April 2020, 21:21

muted - pm'd x.

the rate of confirmed cases looks like this (bbc stats)
the red is Hampshire, the blue is where I am (about half total population of Hampshire). for perspective, the rate compared to the population is about 0.15%

we also did the clapping for the NHS at 8pm, which is apparently just as good substitute for paying them properly and giving them the right kit
Old 16th April 2020, 21:42

^Exactly the point I make when my mum complains that I'm not doing it. It does absolutely nothing to help the situation. Not that I'm criticising the people who are taking part. We're all feeling helpless right now and if clapping outside your front door makes you feel better then carry on.
Old 16th April 2020, 22:07

I have to say the first time it happened, it did give a sort of sense of 'community'. probably because it had never been done before. someone on chat pointed out, he thought it was kind of patronising, and they'd much rather have....."the equipment and £the-stuff for doing the job"....after a couple of days I found myself agreeing with him. I had a think about whether the clapping was "helping" the NHS, or 'helping' the people doing it at their front doors.

continuing to do it is sort of starting to feel like an obligation. I actually didnt know it was happening today before my dad said at 7:58 with "its that time of the week again". if I was an NHS worker....? part of me would be hoping that people didn't think they were "paying their dues" just by clapping. clapping is basically the equivalent of "thoughts and prayers". #clapforboris? you know where you can put that.

Matt Hancock said a few days ago "now is not the time to think about pay rises for NHS". after he said that.....my view of him is "you can f&ck right off mate----yes, it is". if I was an NHS worker, and someone told me I'd be getting a pay rise in 2 weeks time but no clapping, I'm sure I would be thinking "I dont have a massive problem with that".
Old 16th April 2020, 22:14

^ As far as it seems, they are very appreciative and touched by it. If people who work for the NHS say they don't like it then I will stop.
Old 16th April 2020, 22:16

I'm sure the clapping is appreciated as part of a bigger plan, like staying indoors and a pay rise and PPE they won't say stop....even if they think it. if I was them, I would think "clapping is not a substitute for other things"
Old 16th April 2020, 22:48

Quote:

we also did the clapping for the NHS at 8pm, which is apparently just as good substitute for paying them properly and giving them the right kit
Yeah people were complaining about this on Twitter last week. I think even some NHS workers understand it but feel like people are just respecting them more cause of this situation. Actual better pay, and bigger acts of appreciation would be better.
Old 16th April 2020, 22:51

Quote:
=

Matt Hancock said a few days ago "now is not the time to think about pay rises for NHS". after he said that.....my view of him is "you can f&ck right off mate----yes, it is". if I was an NHS worker, and someone told me I'd be getting a pay rise in 2 weeks time but no clapping, I'm sure I would be thinking "I dont have a massive problem with that".
He seems heartless to me. I heard he confronted care workers asking about getting more PPE. I understand e is stressed but these people are fearing for there lives if worst comes to worst.

Apparently they are less entitled to it as they are ran privately or something. But then again this is an emergency. I think all key workers deserve adequate PPE. It's a pity that the world doesn't work that way though.
Old 16th April 2020, 22:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
^ As far as it seems, they are very appreciative and touched by it. If people who work for the NHS say they don't like it then I will stop.