SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 29th March 2020, 14:39

Default Unforseen consequences of the virus

My sister was talking to her neighbour (a mental health nurse) at the weekend, and she said her unit has gone crazy - suicide attempts, new admissions, etc. On sky news, an expert recently said the lockdown will probably be in place until June. Let’s say it lasts until early May. Imagine another month of this! What do you think will be some of the unforseen consequences? Everyone is focussed on the death rate and the economy, but there will be effects beyond that. For example, we are sure to see a rise in domestic violence. Apparently, both China and Italy have seen a surge in cases. I suspect we will also see a rise in child abuse.
Old 29th March 2020, 15:34
Co-Administrator

Default Re: Unforseen consequences of the virus

Where possible, many schools are staying open with skeleton staff to continue to teach children considered vulnerable so hopefully there will not be too steep a rise in child abuse.
Old 29th March 2020, 16:07
Global Moderator

Mood
Tired

One thing I have noticed is a lot of smaller shops like green grocers, butchers and farm shops are seeing a lot more customers because people can't get everything in the supermarket.
I would like to think that this support of local businesses could continue after the Coronavirus restrictions are lifted.

I definitely think there will be more relationship breakdowns during the next few months, being stuck at home with someone for days on end is a great way to learn just how irritating they are and also when you start to contemplate your own mortality it really makes you question how happy you are in your current situation.
Old 29th March 2020, 22:12

Mood
Shoveit

My dads stopping with me and doin my nut in lol very unforeseen:0
Old 29th March 2020, 22:20

^ Haha, how did that arrangement come about?
Old 29th March 2020, 22:36

Mood
Shoveit

^ think I lost a straw drawing contest at birth that’s how! Fml
Old 29th March 2020, 23:29

Mood
Cynical

^ I think adultery might be difficult when spouses are under lockdown together

I have heard that a lot of schools are doing wellfare checks and keeping up with families who they know are involved with social services etc. They are also providing meals to a lot of kids who are entitled to free school meals so are having regular contact that way. Maybe that will help some children, I hope so.
Old 29th March 2020, 23:39

Mood
Shoveit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermannHesse
Suicide, orgies, adultery, murder and rape are all known to spike during pandemic events. Lockdown will prevent some of that, of course.

I'm aware of a few suicides so far linked to this current event - an Italian nurse, a German Minister and Emily Owen. Though I'm sure there are more. Though I think it's important to realise, as I have said before, that no one kills themselves because of reason X.

Relationship breakdowns are a given, and so (I'm afraid) is domestic violence and child abuse. There are a lot of children who are now not going to have any respite from their abusive parents.
Cor Blimey sounds like the last days of Caligula...maybe it’s not all bad news
Old 29th March 2020, 23:48

I was wondering how petty thieves are going to manage if no one goes out?
Old 30th March 2020, 00:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuq
There's been looting in other countries.

I still see the local drug dealers with people at their doors so they must still have an income from somewhere to buy their gear..

The planet is overpopulated. Maybe in all this virus is a good thing.
Old 30th March 2020, 00:18

Mood
Sad

^^They'll find a way.
Old 30th March 2020, 01:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuq
They have been stealing from NHS staff
Old 30th March 2020, 08:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lее
There's been looting in other countries.

I still see the local drug dealers with people at their doors so they must still have an income from somewhere to buy their gear..

The planet is overpopulated. Maybe in all this virus is a good thing.
Yes, it's certainly over populated but it's not so much the people that the world would perhaps be better off without that are dying. The worst kind of criminals, who are generally younger and less vulnerable will probably come through this just fine. It's the decent law abiding people who are dropping like flies: The old and fragile, ordinary decent people, including children, with underlying illnesses

Also I think any reduction in the population will very rapidly be filled by millions of people conceived during the global lockdown!
Old 30th March 2020, 10:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consolida
Yes, it's certainly over populated but it's not so much the people that the world would perhaps be better off without that are dying. The worst kind of criminals, who are generally younger and less vulnerable will probably come through this just fine. It's the decent law abiding people who are dropping like flies: The old and fragile, ordinary decent people, including children, with underlying illnesses

Also I think any reduction in the population will very rapidly be filled by millions of people conceived during the global lockdown!
A random fact, after WW2 there was an increase in childbirths as you describe.
Old 30th March 2020, 10:29

Quote:
^ I agree. But don't you think there should be a public discussion about how and why this virus emerged and affected society the way that it has? We are conceiving of it as though it were a natural disaster, but it appears to be yet another "bushmeat" disease of our own making: we force ourselves to be intimate with worlds we have no business being in - grabbing, crushing, processing animals as resources, not as beings - and essentially squeeze all and any life out from the sinews of their flesh, including the viral strains that we then wish we hadn't.

I don't agree with the substance of Extinction Rebellions comments (as reported by Lee) for the reasons that you identify, but I applaud them for at least attempted a critique of - rather than just a retelling - of what is taking place.

Apparently some virologists were predicting a pandemic to happen around now but governments and other people who they told weren’t taking them seriously.

But I think the governments in lots of countries were slow to react. Hopefully society doesn’t forget this pandemic like they forgot the Spanish Flu and it’s well documented and remains common knowledge and is taught in schools so governments are much more preventative towards such pandemic in the future. And health checks are taken more seriously.
Old 30th March 2020, 10:38

^^ Indeed, Mutedsoul, the 'baby boomers' who were conceived when the men returned from the War. Not that I'm anywhere near old enough to be one!

^^^ Yes certainly, Hermann, no doubt about it, there needs to be a public discussion about how and why this virus emerged or it will continue to happen again and again and new stains of virus will emerge that are far more devastating than this one.

Anyone who prefers to think that this Pandemic is 'Nature's way' of culling the population is delusional. (That statement isn't directed towards anyone who posts here, btw). This Pandemic has everything to do with our barbaric treatment of other species that we share this planet with and nothing to do with something natural and totally outside of our control.

I don't believe the daft conspiracy theories about a virus escaping from a laboratory but perhaps such beliefs are more palatable than the idea that we have brought this all upon ourselves because of the way we treat other species. The World wouldn't be having to deal with the situation it now finds itself in if it wasn't for the appalling way that humans have been dragging animals from the wild and, as you say HH, treating animals as resources, not as beings. The type of wet markets that exist in certain parts of the world need to stop. If not for the sake of the poor innocent animals then for the sake of humankind.

I'm rambling.
Old 30th March 2020, 10:50

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
^ I agree. But don't you think there should be a public discussion about how and why this virus emerged and affected society the way that it has? We are conceiving of it as though it were a natural disaster, but it appears to be yet another "bushmeat" disease of our own making: we force ourselves to be intimate with worlds we have no business being in - grabbing, crushing, processing animals as resources, not as beings - and essentially squeeze all and any life out from the sinews of their flesh, including the viral strains that we then wish we hadn't.

I don't agree with the substance of Extinction Rebellions comments (as reported by Lee) for the reasons that you identify, but I applaud them for at least attempted a critique of - rather than just a retelling - of what is taking place.
I agree with you there, but we can't let it just be a discussion about countries like China and think what we do is fine. The chlorinated chicken from America is a prime example, but their industrial farming practices are just as bad. Our industries aren't fine either, free range doesn't really mean free range as we know, etc.
Old 30th March 2020, 11:24

^ I agree with you totally there Dougella.
It is something that we all have to take some responsibility for. The way farmed animals are treated here in many cases is equally as appalling.
Old 30th March 2020, 11:29
Banned

hope ppl are safe.

yesterday evening there seemed to be good stuff on television

gov't trying to get people to watch TV at night so they don't get up in the morning and go to work?

lots of shops seems to be doing delivery services.
Old 30th March 2020, 13:06

Mood
Alienated

I will try and focus on the positives here, but going on my once-daily exercise, I have noticed wildlife in areas where they are not normally. The air is clearer from less pollution (parts of my town are, or were, illegally polluted). I have noticed less rubbish around, less vandalism and less gang graffiti. I thought that would actually increase in my area.

Its more peaceful at my house. Barely any traffic passing on the usually busy road, no planes in the sky.

I'm spending less money - I often go for a coffee on my own, or go to the pub with friends, so thats saved some money, as well as travelling to places and to work, and so on.

Im trying not to think about the more negative consequences to be honest. Its too much for me to handle!
Old 30th March 2020, 13:13

There are still loads of trains going past the house but they all seem completely empty of passengers. I haven't looked at peak hours though. Some people must still be commuting in.
Old 30th March 2020, 13:36

I think many people with mental health issues will struggle far more especially if the lock-down intensifies to shopping only for weeks ahead as it has in some other countries. Even more concerning for me however is after this is over that the economy will have collapsed so much that there will be even less help available for mental health issues for probably years as its not seen as a priority given that help in the NHS is pretty awful for many with mental health problems even now.
Old 30th March 2020, 15:50

Mood
Cynical

^ Someone else brought this up and I think it's very true, there are going to be a lot of very over worked, stressed, possibly anxious and depressed medical professionals after this is over. PTSD for those on the front line is a real possibility too. I hope they will be able to get help and support after everything they've done for everyone else.
Old 30th March 2020, 15:58

Obviously this is going to be tough for people with anxiety, depression, etc, but what about those who had recovered. I suspect this lockdown will re-ignite old problems, i.e things people believed they had got on top of. Agoraphobia would be an obvious example, but also hypochondria, OCD, paranoia, anxiety, even anorexia (which is partly about controlling a scary world). Plus, of course, they will find it even harder to access the support groups, therapists, etc, that had kept them well.
Old 30th March 2020, 17:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiouslondoner
There are still loads of trains going past the house but they all seem completely empty of passengers. I haven't looked at peak hours though. Some people must still be commuting in.
I have a feeling it’s more to do with money and stuff like the empty planes that were flying before to keep airline time slots.
Old 30th March 2020, 17:03

Lots of empty buses too
Old 30th March 2020, 17:29

What Moksha said about people being recovered got me thinking. That until there is a vaccine, there is a potential for a dividing line between the supposedly safe (recovered) and the potentially unsafe (never infected) But for now, it more or less feels like we are all in the same boat. I just hope it doesn't get to the stage where there are those that get thrown overboard from that boat.

I usually like to end my posts on a positive note. But of course what with the situation, it's hard to whip out a rubber chicken when you need to. So I will have to issue a positive IOU ending for this post. Which I can assure you, will be honoured in no less than 2 years from now.
Old 30th March 2020, 22:25

Mood
Blah

While out driving I found myself watching all the other cars as they went past trying to tell if they were police, then when it was one I'd be staring in my rear view mirror watching to see if they turn around instead of looking forward. Must be how drug dealers feel Almost shat myself when there was one parked on a roundabout as I came round
Old 30th March 2020, 22:42

Lidl and Asda have started accepting American Express! Perhaps, when this is over, those people who were reticent about using contactless payment will be more open to it, as it's now the preferred method for retailers. People may also be beginning to learn that queues don't move faster if you poke the person in front in the back!

Strangely, I've had more social contact with other shoppers today than usual, sharing smiles, quips and laughs with people as we're trying to avoid encroaching on each other's two metres of safe space. Maybe people will become a little more patient and friendlier when shopping, instead of using trolleys as a weapon!
Old 30th March 2020, 23:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddity
While out driving I found myself watching all the other cars as they went past trying to tell if they were police, then when it was one I'd be staring in my rear view mirror watching to see if they turn around instead of looking forward. Must be how drug dealers feel Almost shat myself when there was one parked on a roundabout as I came round
I always feel like that if I see a police car! Even though I never do anything illegal, I feel instantly guilty and worry if I'm doing something wrong by accident.