SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 3rd September 2011, 20:12

Mood
Dreaming

Default Being Underweight

This isn't anything SA related or what not, but speaking with family I've been told that I'm underweight. I always thought I was normal weight for my stature but now my family have agreed I am under weight.

A bit worried really. I have a fast metabolism and doesn't help that due to my parents being on diets the house is usually diet geared with fruit and shiz.

So what is a good way of putting weight on without eating a Maccy D diet. So healthily putting on weight in other words.
Old 3rd September 2011, 20:28

Mood
Shoveit

Default Re: Being Underweight

Im the same as NRG.89. I could eat mcdonalds all day it has no effect on me. Weights protein and creatine can be good but nothing special for me either.
Old 3rd September 2011, 20:40

I'm fat bastard so there can be no link to SA.
Old 3rd September 2011, 20:59

Mood
Alienated

i have this too..

well no wait ill rephrase that..im currently 13.5 stone and 6ft1..im probably about normal

however i dont know where it all is..i suppose ive got a bit of a podge and some moobs..but i really dont look it..in clothes im scrawny and flat...my arms look like childrens...

i can eat whatever the hell i want, i dont put weight on..i did weights quite a bit when i was younger..nothing happened..id love to put weight on..in the right places! my metabolism is messed up..also my kidneys have never worked properly..i kinda..pee protein half the time (and used to pee blood) ..so maybe thats where all my muscle building..stuff is going..bastard kidneys!

i dunno...i really can eat like a train and it does nothing
Old 3rd September 2011, 21:38

Weight training 3 x a week and lots of (healthy) food
Old 3rd September 2011, 22:05

Mood
Insomnious

You wait to you get to about 35 then you'll start putting on weight. I used to by underweight despite eating all around me, my nickname at school was Anorexic, aren't school kids wonderful! When I hit 35 I started putting on weight despite cutting back on what I ate, so make the most of it. You are what you are
Old 3rd September 2011, 23:09

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1moomin
It sounds like your ok with being slim, but just started worrying because someone said something. Have you actually weighed yourself?

The fact is there are some people who are under weight or on the slim side healthily because its their natural type. Unless you didn't like the way you looked or have lost a bunch of weight recently don't worry about it seriously.

As I say I understand if you have lost a bunch of weight and they are worried, but if its just general commentary by a couple of family members don't develop a complex.
Na I haven't weighed myself yet. Might give it a go though. And no its not as if I have lost a load of weight suddenly.Just when you hear 'underweight' you think bad things.
Old 3rd September 2011, 23:52
Banned

this thread makes me think of this old song...

Old 4th September 2011, 01:45

Mood
Drunk

I've had that before.

Highly amusing to go to the doctors who then tell you to put on weight

Only reliable method i've noticed working on me is cultivating a beer-belly by alcohol consumption, nothing else at all seems to make me put on weight
Old 4th September 2011, 01:52

Mood
Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG.89
My doctor always manages to sneak a comment about my size in lol. When I last went to him about my dodgy knee he had a med student with him and they both agreed there was "nothing to me". Darn docturrs.

To be fair to him though I used to visit the hospital a lot as a kid to have xrays on my hands/feet etc because they were concerned about my bone growth. So it's on my records. Looks like I *just* made the grade without HGH replacement treatment or whatever it is they do.. Should've pumped me full of them tbh I'd look a damn sight better.
Actually that sounds very familiar.

As a teenager i got hauled to the doctors/hospital frequently for similar things.
(delayed puberty, very-borderline osteoporosis (brittle bones) and so on) They repeatedly pumped me full of hormones and things, made little difference in the end

On a side note, was always highly amusing when i was at the doctors/hospital if any students were present. I have a quite rare eye condition, same Madeline McCann had, so always got dragged off for the students to see
Ironic as thats the eye i see best out of too
Old 4th September 2011, 11:00

Mood
Curious

You need peanut butter and a spoon. Get the healthy type without sugar or salt.

Seriously though, if you feel healthy and you're eating a balanced diet, you're probably ok as you are.
Old 4th September 2011, 11:28

I'm 5.11 and 11st 8. Apparently my BMI is slap bang in the middle but I don't really believe that. I basically look like Roger from American Dad.
Old 4th September 2011, 18:04

Mood
Worried

I eat quite alot myself but over the last few years ive found my weight dropping and dropping and im not 100% happy with it at the moment.

Im not underweight but i could do with a bit more weight to be honest.

Because i spend alot of my time every day feeling anxious etc this is always high revving my adrenaline and im pretty certain its driving my metabolism levels extremely high so its burning what i eat extremely quickly due to anxiousness.

I feel there is a link between anxiety and metabolism levels.
Old 4th September 2011, 21:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTKsaucex
This isn't anything SA related or what not, but speaking with family I've been told that I'm underweight. I always thought I was normal weight for my stature but now my family have agreed I am under weight.

A bit worried really. I have a fast metabolism and doesn't help that due to my parents being on diets the house is usually diet geared with fruit and shiz.

So what is a good way of putting weight on without eating a Maccy D diet. So healthily putting on weight in other words.
Protein shakes is the way forward, have one for breakfast and if you work out have one right after the workout.

Shakes are good because they are liquid so it will digest very quickly and you wont feel like eating after it, and it has a good amount of protein which is good for muscle development and energy.
Old 4th September 2011, 21:15

I wish I was underweight I can never be filled
Old 4th September 2011, 21:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by well_guy
Protein shakes is the way forward, have one for breakfast and if you work out have one right after the workout.

Shakes are good because they are liquid so it will digest very quickly and you wont feel like eating after it, and it has a good amount of protein which is good for muscle development and energy.
Isn't one of the problems with protein shakes that you can put on too much weight if you don't do enough exercise?
Old 4th September 2011, 21:32

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom123
Isn't one of the problems with protein shakes that you can put on too much weight if you don't do enough exercise?
no problem for me. I'll start working out regimes when I get to uni and what not.
Old 4th September 2011, 21:38

Mood
Alienated

At 6'3 I weigh about 70kg. Ideally I'd like to be between 80-85.
Old 4th September 2011, 21:58

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictag
You wait to you get to about 35 then you'll start putting on weight. I used to by underweight despite eating all around me, my nickname at school was Anorexic, aren't school kids wonderful! When I hit 35 I started putting on weight despite cutting back on what I ate, so make the most of it. You are what you are
This is exactly what happened to me. I was a 8 1/2 to 9 stone until I was in my mid 30s and could never put on any weight. Then as a combination of losing my physically active job, medication (probably) and just getting old I went up to 11 1/2 stone which is slightly overweight for my height... SA wise being so skinny was a definite contributor to my feelings of inadequacy and low self esteem.
Old 4th September 2011, 22:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom123
It depends on which protien shake you decide to take, some are specificaly formulated to increase bulk, where as others are more for toning the muscles and meal substituts.

I did suggest only one for breakfast, most people have a small meal for breakie even no meal at all, so to have a protien shake first thing in the morning is a very good start to your day
Old 6th September 2011, 15:56

Mood
Apelike

Im 28 and weigh a mere 9 to 9 half stone and am about 5'8, I personally think my SA was at least partly down to the fact of me being so damn skinny. I know i just dont match up to other i guess normal sized blokes and always think people look at me and comment to each other about my appearance
Old 6th September 2011, 16:55

Mood
Busy

I was underweight when I was younger but now 25. I am still a little on the slim side. Alll the weight seems to have gone to my belly, not that I am fat.

My weight comparitive to age and height is average.
Old 6th September 2011, 17:42

Mood
Breezy

Eat a lot of good fats, sources like nuts are great. Very calorie dense so you won't end up feeling bloated. Contain a fair bit of protein too so you won't have to worry about that. Also you might want to consider doing some weight training to bulk up. Depends how bothered you are about gaining weight. But if I was going to gain weight I'd want to make sure it was useful healthy weight i.e. muscle not fat

Seriously just eat a 100g of peanuts a day. That's around 600kcal alone. You'll put weight on quick enough.

Just like to add, despite what people might think eating fat doesn't mean you'll end up fat. Fat doesn't stimulate insulin release, in fact it inhibits it because it slows down digestion of carbohydrates. No insulin, no fat deposit. Eat too many carbs with high fat intake and then you'll have problems!
Old 6th September 2011, 18:06

I used to be very skinny, my classmates and even parents told me I was even I thought I thought looked okay and not skinny at all! I started gaining weight at 19 though, went from weighing 49kg to 60kg now. I think I look way better now, everyone tells me that (weight wise). I blame work and their stupid cakes! But seriously, It's just the big portions I eat, and all the snacking; not necessarily fatty food. I like to eat a lot. I'm 161 cm tall btw. I exercise now and then~
Old 6th September 2011, 20:21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECPP
I feel there is a link between anxiety and metabolism levels.
There is.
There's many ways in which anxiety can make you loose weight but also put it on actually. For example when anxious our heart will beat faster thus our body is working harder than usual so obviously will use up more energy. Also anxiety can affect eating pattern i.e when we are stressed out we might have no appetite etc.
Old 6th September 2011, 20:24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by well_guy
It depends on which protien shake you decide to take, some are specificaly formulated to increase bulk, where as others are more for toning the muscles and meal substituts.

I did suggest only one for breakfast, most people have a small meal for breakie even no meal at all, so to have a protien shake first thing in the morning is a very good start to your day
I don't like the use of the word Protein shakes as there's lots of different shakes for different uses yet people i know just call them all the same thing lol. I take a weight gainer and it is basically a meal replacement as nutritionally it covers all the food groups and not packed with the large amount of crap & sugar that other 'mass gainer' shakes have in them.
Old 6th September 2011, 20:33
Banned

I think if people are naturally slim then eating alone wont do them that much i feel. I think weight training is also needed to bulk out also. The same goes for just weight training and not eating enough so you end up not bulking that much but have a better toned body. With underweight people (guys in particular) i gather than they rather just be filled out more and bulkier rather than really desire a six pack and ripped arms.

I was 9st around 18 months ago and now 12st. My bodyfat was very low so i ate like a mofo to get that up. Then i started to do weights and that gave me the bulk as by just eating i put on weight but i would only fill out to a point.

The key when eating to gain weight is to keep it constant throughout the day rather than think you can have 2 massive meals a day. That wont work as the body will only be able to absorb & process a limited amount of calories at a time so the rest of those cals will just go to waste or be stored as fat.
Eating smaller meals is the way to go as your appetite will still be there in the day as you are not having massive meals so wont feel stuffed.
Old 8th September 2011, 00:33

Mood
Lurking

Being underweight was a cornerstone of my low self esteem. In June last year I was 6'2 and 11 stone 7 (and that was the highest weight I'd ever been!). Thus, I started going to the gym, and am now 15 stone 2lbs.

It's helped my self esteem a bit, but has caused more problems than it's solved IMO (namely making me fearful of drinking a drop of alcohol in case I lose weight or strength, meaning I can never loosen up when I go out). Plus I still feel massively insecure in public wherever I go.
Old 8th September 2011, 07:13

I've always been underweight since I can remember. Worryingly my mother weighs the same as me now so there doesn't seem much chance that I will change. Gonna look into weight training, protein shakes and eating lots of nuts though
Old 27th September 2011, 10:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveGirl
I've recently noticed how many people on SAUK are very slim , or even underweight , or on the short side but thought I was just over thinking it. I've always been taller/bigger than others my age
I don't think there's an overlying trend for short and skinny people with SA. At least as far as meet-goers go, we seem to have pretty much the whole spectrum.
Closed Thread