SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 16th April 2015, 00:02

Default Does anyone enjoy running to keep fit?

Do any of you go running to keep fit or lose weight, I'm thinking of taking it up but feel a bit embarrassed
Old 16th April 2015, 00:04
Banned at own request

Default Re: Does anyone enjoy running to keep fit?

I do know it is meant to be really good for combating depression, but am just too lazy and lethargic myself.
Old 16th April 2015, 00:11

Mood
Tired

Sometimes I drag myself to the gym but I only seem to get an endorphine rush about 25% of the time. But it can be good, just to give you something to focus on, even if you don't always feel super amazing afterwards. If you work hard, you get in the zone and all you think about is the exercise you're doing so all the things going on your life kind of go away for a while.
I always used to be embarrassed going to the gym because I was very paranoid but now I don't really care because nobody looks good running so it's just a part of life.
Old 16th April 2015, 00:18
Banned at own request

I think there are long term effects too but may have made that up

Focus and quietening the mind sounds great,the more you can do that the better,plus getting fit as well I guess.

I got a bike and aimed to get fitand go on rides with people, but being a ultra-geek I added a motor and turned it into a really fast ebike, sometimes I go for rides but normally at about 1am , the change of scene and air can help me sleep. It ended up pretty much the exact opposite of what I planned Still, building it made me feel good.
Old 16th April 2015, 00:20

Mood
Lonely

I run on the treadmill at home most days. It's a great way to let out frustration, and excess energy. Plus like Miathecat said....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miathecat
I don't really care because nobody looks good running so it's just a part of life.
Old 16th April 2015, 06:53

Mood
Tired

Yes, I go running with a local group. It's good and really helps me to know I am doing something healthy. The group part of it - being in the group helps as I'm not alone when I run but of course they sometimes chat and of course I find that hard. If you do join a group, it's best to try and make sure it's beginner-friendly.
Old 16th April 2015, 08:17
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

I used to. But where I lived previously I had access to private land so I could run and barely meet a soul. Not sure I could do it round the roads. Though I suspect after while I'd get used to it.
I've just set up an exercise bike so I'm hoping that will do me some good. Might progress to running outdoors once I've increased my fitness first a bit I guess.

I don't think most ppl blink an eye at runners/joggers tbh. I know I don't really. I guess with sa it's just harder to believe it.
Old 16th April 2015, 10:32

I wish I could do running but I have a bad back so can't, I envy joggers as they look oblivious to the world around them.
I do cycle, just commuting not stretchy lycra stuff, and swimming. I went swimming last night after not being arsed for a couple of weeks and I really notice how much better I feel today - exercise is hugely important for mental health methinks.
Old 16th April 2015, 15:00

Mood
Breezy

I've been trying to jog recently (my stamina is awful so I can only manage a very,very short jog), but afterwards my anxiety is reduced and my body feels warm and fuzzy for an while. I really need to stick to a jogging schedule though.
Old 16th April 2015, 21:23

Running is virtually impossible to enjoy, it's just too much hard work, you should try cycling instead
Old 16th April 2015, 21:34
Banned at own request

I love running it really clears my head and i feel much better after a run; ran 6 miles today
Old 16th April 2015, 21:34

I love running, or I did. I was never the best but it really lifted my mood. I used it as a tool really, to stave off crappy thoughts. The getting fitter part is good too. Only stopped due to injury but hopefully I can do it again some day.

Is there a particular thing about it that you find embarrassing newbie?
Old 17th April 2015, 00:20

Mood
Pensive

I used to cycle a lot but nowadays i stick to walking. I had a brief period when younger that i took to running but i never really enjoyed it.
Old 17th April 2015, 02:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineofswords
hope you find one local nat. I had a look but the nearest is far too far away for me to do on a regular basis unless I move. I feel a similar way about exercising out in a regular park.
Can you go running on a track? Like a a leisure centre or something?
Old 17th April 2015, 20:58

I enjoy running but I'm too lazy and anxious to run regularly. I'm trying to psyche myself up to run regularly but I've been trying to for a while... I'm also much more of a short distance sprinter than a jogger so on the rare occasions I do run, I feel like I'm killing myself. But it does make me feel better.
Old 18th April 2015, 23:24

Mood
Breezy

Yeah I do. When I first started I hated it but then I was just going out and running every time like I was competing in a 1500m event because I didn't know what I was doing. Now a days I look forward to it, whether hard or easy sessions but it makes a big difference to me on my surroundings. I couldn't be one of those people you see running down busy high streets. I do my best to avoid people and traffic as much as possible. Running on forest trails with my dog is one my favourite activities.
Old 19th April 2015, 19:48

Mood
Fine

Not running, but enjoy walking, and hiking in the hills and glens of dear old Scotia. Doesnt have to be in a rural location though Ill walk anywhere, town or city walks are equally interesting for me

Id love to go hiking elsewhere too, some of the trails in central Europe and North America really appeal. Of course financial difficulties make these rather unlikely at the moment.

Ive toyed with the idea of taking up cycling, but there are just too may bad drivers on the roads for my tastes, and wouldn't feel safe on a bike to be honest

Static (gym type) exercise on the other point simply mores me to tears. Dont really know why, but its just not for me at all.