SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 10th August 2023, 14:55

Default Walked out of Another Job

The company I've been working for where this is actually my second time working there as they had asked if I was free, I have felt very anxious, uncomfortable and awkward.

Yesterday I managed to finish one task I had and my boss told me I could finish early which was nice. He also said that somebody else would train me today on the next task.

But this is the problem, I was trying to take in what she was telling me and she was asking me if I understood. I said "not really" then she went through it again and she asked me again and I said " alittle bit" I didn;t want to look stupid. Before they would print off instructions which was really helpful. Maybe I should have asked for that.

She did say I can ask if I was unsure about anything but because there were other people in the office I feel I would have to stand up and tell he I am still not getting it. I know rationally its better to ask so you don't make mistakes but its like my body and mouth just wouldn't move when I wanted it to!

So went back to my laptop and pretended to be working while the 2 girls were chatting and bantering with each other.

I was getting worried because I knew I was going to have to leave and I thought I would have to leave my water bottle there but I managed to sneak out with it.

Also the office is really small and they moved to another office which is just as small. I knew they were moving but didn;t know it would be today. I guess the temp is the last to know, although the woman I started with did say sorry for not telling me and that she didn;t have my number. But I'd rather nobody from work have my number!

When I got to the new office, I had monitors but no keyboard or anywhere but the laptop to plug everything into. Everyone had everything sorted but I was missing some equipment. I know I should have spoken up but I was hopping people would notice my discomfort and help me but they didn;t.

I feel so bad doing this! I feel like i've let everyone down. The people in the office will think I'm weird because it makes no sense just to leave if I was finding something hard! If I could just speak up and ask for help when I need to, I would have a job right now!

But in any case it was so awkward being there because everyone seems to get on well with each other and have this rapport and banter. But I feel like the outsider. I could see people were trying to draw me in but I was giving them nothing because I just felt so uncomfortable.

The last company I worked at I didn't feel so awkward because the building was much bigger so it was more spread out. This office environment just feels too intimate for me to deal with.

As I was sat at my desk I wrote an email to the agency explaining things but I know they will be angry. But i mean I did ask the woman before if there would be any telephone work and I told her I wasn't confident on the phone. I Just hope thats given her a clue to my issue.

At my age I shouldn't be doing this but it got too much. If I had gone back in after lunch I would have to sit there til 5.30 pretending to work and I couldn;t do that!
Old 10th August 2023, 15:09

Default Re: Walked out of Another Job

Why don't you tell them in this case that you have social anxiety disorder and that is the explanation for what is going on.
Old 10th August 2023, 16:12

you shouldn't fret because at the beginning stuff will recycle so you'll pick it up over time. Though sometimes a place can not be a right fit. Eg if these guys were so under pressure that they couldn't properly spare the time to teach a newbie...
You could have to have an open ear to going back but if not there are always other opportunities too always coming along.
Old 10th August 2023, 17:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeforme
Why don't you tell them in this case that you have social anxiety disorder and that is the explanation for what is going on.

I don't know! In order for me to tell someone I have social anxiety I would need to feel I could trust them. I just feel people would play it down, and maybe laugh or make judgements! I know the people in the office are probably judging me. Maybe most of them are glad I've gone.
Old 10th August 2023, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel
you shouldn't fret because at the beginning stuff will recycle so you'll pick it up over time. Though sometimes a place can not be a right fit. Eg if these guys were so under pressure that they couldn't properly spare the time to teach a newbie...
You could have to have an open ear to going back but if not there are always other opportunities too always coming along.
Thanks! There is no way I can go back after walking out like that. I mean I have had some long term jobs that have lasted years but in some situations where I am being trained to do something I feel a lot of anxiety especially if its really technical and there is a lot to remember. I feel stupid asking for help.

To be honest I just don't feel comfortable. If they had produced some written instructions then this wouldn't have happened.

Many I should try to find a really easy job that doesn't need a lot of training or having to think too much. Ideally I would like to work fully remote.
Old 11th August 2023, 04:24

It is a pity that you feel that you can't return to work because the trainer hadn't explained clearly what she wanted you to do. I'm sure that if you'd asked her to write the instructions down to make it easier for you to understand she would have happily obliged and not judged you negatively. After all, we all process information differently and if written instructions mean that you can then get on with your work without needing lots of assistance then that's easier for everyone. However, I understand how social anxiety makes it so difficult to ask for the things that you need and want. All the chat and banter that goes on in the office sounds like my idea of hell and I'm not surprised it made you feel uncomfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formershyguy
I don't know! In order for me to tell someone I have social anxiety I would need to feel I could trust them. I just feel people would play it down, and maybe laugh or make judgements! I know the people in the office are probably judging me. Maybe most of them are glad I've gone.
Don't employers have an obligation to show some empathy and understanding towards people who suffer with mental health issues in the workplace these days? Everyone has heard of social anxiety in this day and age, and only an ignorant fool would play it down or laugh. I doubt anyone will be glad you've gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formershyguy
To be honest I just don't feel comfortable. If they had produced some written instructions then this wouldn't have happened.

Many I should try to find a really easy job that doesn't need a lot of training or having to think too much. Ideally I would like to work fully remote.
My son, who is back from Uni for the Summer, has recently started a full time job delivering groceries for a company. I was surprised that he only had to fill in an application form and wasn't required to attend an interview. The other trainees were aged from 20 to 50 and after just 2 days of training he was driving a van and pretty much left to get on with the job. There's a little interaction with customers but nothing like sitting with chatty coworkers in an office environment all day. Admittedly the hours aren't very sociable and the pay isn't great but on a good day a lovely customer will give him a bar of chocolate!

Try not to beat yourself up, Formershyguy, you've tried your best, and I hope that you find a job that suits you soon smile2:
Old 12th November 2023, 18:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consolida
It is a pity that you feel that you can't return to work because the trainer hadn't explained clearly what she wanted you to do. I'm sure that if you'd asked her to write the instructions down to make it easier for you to understand she would have happily obliged and not judged you negatively. After all, we all process information differently and if written instructions mean that you can then get on with your work without needing lots of assistance then that's easier for everyone. However, I understand how social anxiety makes it so difficult to ask for the things that you need and want. All the chat and banter that goes on in the office sounds like my idea of hell and I'm not surprised it made you feel uncomfortable.

Don't employers have an obligation to show some empathy and understanding towards people who suffer with mental health issues in the workplace these days? Everyone has heard of social anxiety in this day and age, and only an ignorant fool would play it down or laugh. I doubt anyone will be glad you've gone!

My son, who is back from Uni for the Summer, has recently started a full time job delivering groceries for a company. I was surprised that he only had to fill in an application form and wasn't required to attend an interview. The other trainees were aged from 20 to 50 and after just 2 days of training he was driving a van and pretty much left to get on with the job. There's a little interaction with customers but nothing like sitting with chatty coworkers in an office environment all day. Admittedly the hours aren't very sociable and the pay isn't great but on a good day a lovely customer will give him a bar of chocolate!

Try not to beat yourself up, Formershyguy, you've tried your best, and I hope that you find a job that suits you soon smile2:

Thanks for replying! I actually had about a 3 or 4 week gap where I was doing Mystery shopping which is a pretty good side hustle. Really enjoy it because I get to travel a little bit. albeit locally although I have taken the train to other places a bit further away but this one Mystery Shopping company pay for my train fare.

But then this Agency came through with a nice easy job which meant I was working in a really quiet office with hardly anyone there. All I had to do was sort documents out for archiving and scanning which I really enjoyed. Unfortunately it only lasted 3 weeks but it was ideal. I was mainly on my own in this big office. There were probably a total of 10 people in the whole building but it felt like much less.

Now the same Agency although their Accountancy Section have found me this Job in an Accounts payable department. I'm regretting taking it now but at the same time I hate seeing my account/savings decreasing. The woman said that I didn;t need account experience.

Been there 2 weeks now but I feel so awkward. I find it hard to ask for help because it means using people's names. This is another difficulty I have. The girl who was training me up is only 20, very outgoing and I don't always feel comfortable in asking for help.

On the confirmation email and through talking to the Recruitment consultant she said it would be for 6 weeks or could go on longer.

On the first day she called me to ask me how it was and I said it was ok. But can you really get a feel for a job in a day? I need the money but ideally I want it to end on the end date that the recruitment consultant wrote in the email.

I have to be careful because many years ago I walked out of a job this same Agency put me in because I was to anxious to tell someone I couldn't get into my computer. Luckily all the staff were new this time so Its like starting from new but I feel I might walk out of this job too like I did before, by writing an email and avoiding calls from the Agency.

In this case the Agency would never look for work for me again! I feel bad doing that so many times because I know they probably worked hard to find me the role but I don't feel comfortable in this environment. I don't feel comfortable asking for help all the time.

I'm hoping that they see I'm not that good and just let me go. Or maybe I could just tell the Agency its not working out but give them a weeks notice. But then comes the issue whether they would look for more work for me.

Some Recruitment Agencies are understanding but I've had some terrible experiences with other Agencies where back in the day before the Internet I had to actually call them and they would get angry! But the Employer or the Agency can fire you on the spot without any warning.

At the last job I quit, one of the temps was making so many mistakes that the company just let her go! Which I thought was unfair!

But if the company can see that I am not that good, that I can't ask for help maybe they will let me go. That way the Agency would still look for work for me! :-(