SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 25th January 2011, 20:57

Mood
Devilish

Default Is this SA or am I just bitter?

A bit of background......

Always had SA I think, found this site in 2004.
I basically muddle through life, staying away from things that I find too difficult if I can help it.

I am 39, met my hubby when I was 17 & married when I was 21.
Got a 16 year old son - fortunately he is confident

I was diagnosed with M.S in 1998, I am quite a positive person strangely enough so I just got on with things.
In 2006 I was medically retired from work.
So now I'm at home mostly, I have sleep 10-14 hours a day due to the M.S & can't walk too far.

So now, the issue.....My hubby is pretty confident & has found a love for Scuba Diving, he's been diving for about 8 years & it's his passion.
He went on a diving holiday to Egypt a couple of years ago & my mood crashed, I was taking Modafinil for M.S fatigue at the time & this had interacted with my escitalopram. I told hubby when he came back that he wasn't going away again.....When I got back to normal I realised that the feelings I had were down to the interaction of my meds & things got back to 'normal'.

He went on another diving holiday to Malta September 2010 & I was fine.

Now he is in South Africa on another diving holiday for 2 weeks & I'm having real problems!!
I told him to go as it was a once in a lifetime thing, I just didn't realise how I'd feel!! I don't want to stop him & then him ending up resenting me because I'd stopped him doing things. He's fulfilling everything he wants to do in life.

I can't do so much now because of the M.S but even if I could, the SA would prevent me. He's having a wonderful time & I am happy for him, but I just feel like I have no life. I don't know if I'm just bitter & jealous of the life he's got & I can't/won't have, I'm just really confused

He works away a lot & this doesn't bother me!

So, if I've made any sense, what are your thoughts, please be truthful
Old 25th January 2011, 23:43

Mood
Creative

Default Re: Is this SA or am I just bitter?

I think you are a saint in your relationship. Maybe being disabled you feel depressed at his freedom and your lack of it. Maybe look at some sort of holiday you can both do?
Old 26th January 2011, 01:17

Mood
Devilish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***1103;emus
I think you are a saint in your relationship. Maybe being disabled you feel depressed at his freedom and your lack of it. Maybe look at some sort of holiday you can both do?
Why a saint?

We do go on holidays together as well, I think you are right about lack of freedom though!

I suppose I'm annoyed that I don't have a choice now, where as when my MS was better I could do things even if I chose not to
Old 26th January 2011, 02:56

Mood
Balanced

I think your right to let him go and pursue his passions because stifling him could cause some problems like resentment which you mentioned.

Having M.S sounds tough and then to top it off you got SA.
Best thing would be to indulge in the hobbies you still can with him...

How come ur worried of him going away for diving and not for work...
you might jus be experiencing a natural fear of wondering if you might lose him....
But forcing him to stay near could be the very thing that drives him away

Anyways...i'm just reciting some magazine and talk show host platitudes...but they seem to make some kind of sense
Old 26th January 2011, 08:08

Mood
Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie1
Why a saint?
Some people wouldn't let their partner out of thier sight.

Quote:

I suppose I'm annoyed that I don't have a choice now, where as when my MS was better I could do things even if I chose not to
Yup, it's so frustrating
Old 26th January 2011, 08:30

Mood
Devilish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drima
I think your right to let him go and pursue his passions because stifling him could cause some problems like resentment which you mentioned.

Having M.S sounds tough and then to top it off you got SA.
Best thing would be to indulge in the hobbies you still can with him...

How come ur worried of him going away for diving and not for work...
you might jus be experiencing a natural fear of wondering if you might lose him....
But forcing him to stay near could be the very thing that drives him away

Anyways...i'm just reciting some magazine and talk show host platitudes...but they seem to make some kind of sense
Thank you for your thoughts, Drima
I think you are right in what you say, I would never stop him doing something, I don't want him to have regrets because I stopped him doing something.

M.S is a total pain, but then so is SA

It is a combination of things this time with him going diving.....
1. It's 2 weeks, which is the longest he's ever been away.
2. I worry something will happen to him.
3. He's off enjoying himself & I'm stuck at home! I have been on holiday without him in the past & hated it, part of me is wondering why it doesn't bother him. I suppose I don't feel he needs me like I need him. I feel a bit worthless since I was medically retired from work.
Old 26th January 2011, 12:15

I'm not surprised you feel that way, I'm relatively healthy and any little thing plunges me into bitterness every single day but I like to think I just indulge the feeling of jealousy by choice and I wouldn't take it out on anyone.

Those kind of feelings hurt us more than others anyway and you've coped admirably well despite everything probably due to your positive outlook. It's difficult on many levels because you probably also feel guilty for sounding begrudging of his passion but remember everyone needs that little something for themselves because when a couple does different things that's how they grow as individuals and thus become stronger together.

It's okay to feel the way you feel but there must be ways you can use this time more constructively to explore your life's passions too or do anything that stops you dwelling on the differences. It's a good time to try something you've never tried before.
Old 26th January 2011, 12:25

Mood
Tired

I was wondering if you could still participate in diving to some extent, even though you have M.S.,.
what lots of people love about the water is it supports you naturally with the body's natural buoyancy,... perhaps just floating on the surafce with a plain snorkel and simply enjoying the feel of the water and the colours of the coral, fish, and general marine life,..not sure if it's that kind of diving he's into ?..

do you not have any private passions or ambitions which you could also indulge Annie ?..

perhaps you feel that he is the only one who has a hobby or interest they are passionate about and you perhaps feel as if there's something lacking for you not to have one?

maybe it's the thought that he wants to spend most of his holiday time doing something without you, which will maybe lead to feelings of being left out of his life, being left out of a part of his life that seems important to him ?...

all couples have individual interests and passions, and some do go separate holidays to explore these interests, but I dare say, more often than not, they do try and include and encourage each other to join in in their interests and share them,..

maybe what's lacking is that you have not pursued your own personal interests for the sake of your relationship or your children, and now wonder why,..?..... don't know,.. I'm guessing, and not really comfortable advising people on their life's issues,..
Old 26th January 2011, 20:19

Mood
Devilish

Quote:
Some people wouldn't let their partner out of thier sight.
I couldn't be doing with that!!

Quote:
Yup, it's so frustrating
When I could physically do stuff, I didn't because of SA, can't win
Old 26th January 2011, 20:34

Mood
Devilish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion10
I'm not surprised you feel that way, I'm relatively healthy and any little thing plunges me into bitterness every single day but I like to think I just indulge the feeling of jealousy by choice and I wouldn't take it out on anyone.

Those kind of feelings hurt us more than others anyway and you've coped admirably well despite everything probably due to your positive outlook. It's difficult on many levels because you probably also feel guilty for sounding begrudging of his passion but remember everyone needs that little something for themselves because when a couple does different things that's how they grow as individuals and thus become stronger together.

It's okay to feel the way you feel but there must be ways you can use this time more constructively to explore your life's passions too or do anything that stops you dwelling on the differences. It's a good time to try something you've never tried before.
Thank you!!
I agree with everything you've said.
The M.S makes it difficult to put in to words how I feel, I know what I want to say, but can't find the words!!

My passion is cooking

I can't think of anything I would be able to try that's new, that doesn't put me in to SA meltdown
Old 26th January 2011, 21:01

Mood
Devilish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry302199
I was wondering if you could still participate in diving to some extent, even though you have M.S.,.
what lots of people love about the water is it supports you naturally with the body's natural buoyancy,... perhaps just floating on the surafce with a plain snorkel and simply enjoying the feel of the water and the colours of the coral, fish, and general marine life,..not sure if it's that kind of diving he's into ?..

do you not have any private passions or ambitions which you could also indulge Annie ?..

perhaps you feel that he is the only one who has a hobby or interest they are passionate about and you perhaps feel as if there's something lacking for you not to have one?

maybe it's the thought that he wants to spend most of his holiday time doing something without you, which will maybe lead to feelings of being left out of his life, being left out of a part of his life that seems important to him ?...

all couples have individual interests and passions, and some do go separate holidays to explore these interests, but I dare say, more often than not, they do try and include and encourage each other to join in in their interests and share them,..

maybe what's lacking is that you have not pursued your own personal interests for the sake of your relationship or your children, and now wonder why,..?..... don't know,.. I'm guessing, and not really comfortable advising people on their life's issues,..
I welcome any advice & thoughts

I think the top & bottom of it is, my M.S has got worse sine I was diagnosed in 1998 & I envisage that in the next 10 years I will be in a wheel chair more of the time. I think I'm grieving what I've lost, like not being able to go for a walk etc.

I feel like I'm pushing him away to do his diving because I have nothing to offer him.....interests wise. I'm not sure I put that across correctly

I agree with having time apart & doing separate things, I just don't have much to do!

I used to go snorkelling, but my right leg is too weak now, it's not possible.
He does have it good, I don't stop him doing anything he wants. Even when we go on holiday together, he still goes diving

I forgot to say my ambition would be to look after rescue bunnies, I don't think physically I could do it though.......2 are enough for me at the moment

Last edited by annie1; 26th January 2011 at 21:06. Reason: Adding
Old 29th January 2011, 16:44

Mood
Devilish

I'm on countdown now to when he comes home on Friday.
I can't eat, I feel sick & even though it's stupid, I can't stop the feelings.
How am I going to put across to him how I feel with it turning into an argument, which I'm always scared of in case he leaves

When I was working & my M.S wasn't as bad, I was never afraid he'd leave, so why now?
Old 29th January 2011, 16:56

Mood
Balanced

Your not planning on laying into him as soon as he walks thru the door are you?
That might b a bad move. He's gonna walk-in excited 2 tell wat his done n seen ...
You should try n tame ur anxieties till he's settled down ... show him his been missed kinda thing....

Your probably more worried now cause u got more time alone with your anxieties, free time always brings me on a downer!
Old 29th January 2011, 17:26

Mood
Devilish

Quote:
Your not planning on laying into him as soon as he walks thru the door are you?
That might b a bad move. He's gonna walk-in excited 2 tell wat his done n seen ...
You should try n tame ur anxieties till he's settled down ... show him his been missed kinda thing....

Your probably more worried now cause u got more time alone with your anxieties, free time always brings me on a downer!
I'm not planning anything, I just know I'll burst into tears as I'm picking him up from the airport

I've already told him we'll talk when he gets home as he knows something is wrong. He knows since I had to give up work I feel worthless, useless, taken for granted & not loved. Part of me is like "what's the point" time & time again he's said he'll tell me he loves me more, show more affection etc......only it never happens. I don't feel a part of his world now.
I don't know whether to write it down & give it to him & if so when do I give it him?
Old 30th January 2011, 12:12

Mood
Devilish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomin
pm'd
Thanks for your pm
Old 31st January 2011, 13:51

Mood
Balanced

Quote:
I'm not planning anything, I just know I'll burst into tears as I'm picking him up from the airport

I've already told him we'll talk when he gets home as he knows something is wrong. He knows since I had to give up work I feel worthless, useless, taken for granted & not loved. Part of me is like "what's the point" time & time again he's said he'll tell me he loves me more, show more affection etc......only it never happens. I don't feel a part of his world now.
I don't know whether to write it down & give it to him & if so when do I give it him?
I dont know if its too late - if ur husband is back yet - but i thinkin writing ur thoughts is the best way to o first so that you can crystallize them yourself

and also if that isn't therapeutic enough and you would still like for him to see it --- wait a couple of days after he gets in, cause his gonna get in buzzing and excited about new things he's seen/done so let him jus enjoy tha and try and connect again by tryina get back in2 his world....
Old 31st January 2011, 20:15

Mood
Devilish

Quote:
I dont know if its too late - if ur husband is back yet - but i thinkin writing ur thoughts is the best way to o first so that you can crystallize them yourself

and also if that isn't therapeutic enough and you would still like for him to see it --- wait a couple of days after he gets in, cause his gonna get in buzzing and excited about new things he's seen/done so let him jus enjoy tha and try and connect again by tryina get back in2 his world....
He's not back until Friday

I have written it down & after talking to someone, I am going to give it to him, but not until Monday.

I'm in a better place now, but a bit numb.

He found out 2 years ago that I'd been posting pics of myself on an adult site. He was jealous at first, then he was fine about it, even posted on my thread how he'd taken me for granted........and then nothing, it just goes back to how it's always been..... He's quite happy about the thread, I'm very happy as it's the second most viewed on the site. For me it about the people not so much the pics

I put our son first, he's nearly 17 & doesn't want to come on holiday with us but is a little scared to be on his own for a week. Hubby said he isn't being dictated to by his son
I couldn't go away & leave him as I know I'd be worried.
Maybe this is part of the problem.

Thanks so much for making me think about things differently
Old 31st January 2011, 21:15

Mood
Balanced

Quote:
He found out 2 years ago that I'd been posting pics of myself on an adult site. He was jealous at first, then he was fine about it
it's the second most viewed on the site
Helloo! Say Whaat!?! lol....wow thas bold n outlandish aint it? [tho perfectly normal don't get me wrong; jus in the context of SA]
"2nd most viewed" So ur a superstar on this site of urs...

Quote:
Thanks so much for making me think about things differently

bring on friday ehey?
Old 31st January 2011, 21:20

Mood
Balanced

Quote:
I put our son first, he's nearly 17 & doesn't want to come on holiday with us but is a little scared to be on his own for a week.
Hmmm if he doesn't want to come wat r the alternatives, it's not fair that you shouldn't go either.
If he was a single second younger than 16 i would probably understand mo, unless he's SA too. He cld stay with relatives /friends - have them come over/ - he'd probably dislike the 1st hr of being alone then love it after tha...

so your son comes first; obviously
hubby won't b dictated too; fair enuff
Where do u come in in all of this?
Old 31st January 2011, 21:36

Mood
Devilish

Quote:
Helloo! Say Whaat!?! lol....wow thas bold n outlandish aint it? [tho perfectly normal don't get me wrong; jus in the context of SA]
"2nd most viewed" So ur a superstar on this site of urs...
But, SA has many different guises......ask me to go in a pub on my own & I'd fall to pieces. I get the attention I'm craving & have made some very good friends
Not a superstar, but it makes me think I'm not all that bad
Do you want the link? Ha ha

Quote:

bring on friday ehey?
I don't know, I'm scared
Old 31st January 2011, 21:44

Mood
Devilish

Quote:
Hmmm if he doesn't want to come wat r the alternatives, it's not fair that you shouldn't go either.
If he was a single second younger than 16 i would probably understand mo, unless he's SA too. He cld stay with relatives /friends - have them come over/ - he'd probably dislike the 1st hr of being alone then love it after tha...

so your son comes first; obviously
hubby won't b dictated too; fair enuff
Where do u come in in all of this?
We have a caravan in Wales, we go for the weekend without him, but a couple of times he's rung us asking for us to come home

Erm.....I don't come into it at all.
My hubby & son come before me, most mothers are the same.
Old 31st January 2011, 21:46

Mood
Balanced

Quote:
Do you want the link? Ha ha
oh sorry what did u say sumthin; i was busy with my paper there. "Oh do i want the link?" hmmmm
well ur twisting my arm here annie :hmmm: but

go on then
Old 31st January 2011, 21:52

Mood
Devilish

Quote:
oh sorry what did u say sumthin; i was busy with my paper there. "Oh do i want the link?" hmmmm
well ur twisting my arm here annie :hmmm: but

go on then
I'll pm you
Closed Thread