SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 15th September 2019, 20:28

Default Depression and social anxiety

I honestly don't know what to do.
I feel so alone. Isolate myself. Don't take interest in things.
Don't have family besides my mother. Don't have friends or a partner.
Feel so alone, so anxious, so numb. I just wish I had a friend who felt the same way as me. Or could relate to me. I need somebody in my life to battle with.
Old 15th September 2019, 22:31

Default Re: Depression and social anxiety

Hi Tom,
Please excuse the simplistic advice, which I know might be annoying, but maybe consider going to your doctor. They might be able to provide you with counselling which could help. Or meds if you are in need of a quick fix.
I know it sucks, I'm sorry.
Old 15th September 2019, 22:44

Yeh I currently take venlafaxine for my depression. I have been to a counselling session once before years ago and it wasnt great. Also had to wait months and months for it.
I may end up paying for private therapy. I don't know if I will because I don't know if it will help. I suppose I just want to be around like minded people.
Old 16th September 2019, 12:20

Mood
Mellow

I can relate to this entirely, I guess I am much the same. Didn't have too many friends, although more a function of letting them drift out of life and not being confident enough to cultivate new ones.

At the worst I was avoiding everything and everyone. In some sense happy to be on my own, with destructive behaviours. But in other senses this was perhaps a lie as I was quite unhappy with this and jealous of the world having a good time. This could be me, if I had no anxiety.

I have paid for private therapy in the past. This will have the effect of educating you that thought processes we pick up about ourselves are somewhat irrational, although the bigger job is getting yourself to really accept that as fact. If you can't this might be a waste of cash.

Depression is not a binary thing, where you either have it or not, but rather a sea of waves, sometimes it'll be calm, other times it won't be. It is what it is.

We have to believe that what we want is within our own control. It may be that we think current existence is undignified, but the only indignity is giving up without a fight.