SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 13th June 2020, 15:12

Default Never know how to give advice, even to my own family

just feeling bad at the moment. I am fed up of not knowing what to say to anyone. I have this problem with strangers, work colleagues and my own family. Today my mum messaged me and my sister in our WhatsApp group and needed some advice. I read her message and had no idea what to say, how to even think of any advice to give her... but my sister replied and gave really good advice and I just sat there reading their messages to each other and felt really down because I can’t be like that. I don’t know how to give advice to people, I can’t even give myself advice. When a work colleague was upset last year I just pretended not to see and walked away. I don’t know how to comfort people of help anyone. I think there is something wrong with me and my brain. Am I just thick and stupid or what. Or maybe it’s my years of social/general anxiety that clouds my mind and everyday things become so overwhelming to me, I don’t know. Sometimes I think I might be autistic, but I don’t know either, I am so fed up and want to know what’s wrong with me
Old 13th June 2020, 19:31

Default Re: Never know how to give advice, even to my own family

It's more likely you're just not confident. Confidence comes from experience
Old 13th June 2020, 21:03

It sounds like you are so hard on yourself...
That critical voice you have is probably taking up a lot of the mental space you might have to give advice. It's hard to think of things when you are consumed by thoughts of your own inadequacy.
Also I don't think you have to be able to give advice in all situations. Sometimes it's enough to be there for other people without coming up with advice, to say you're sorry to hear about their situation or whatever. Even if someone is specifically asking for advice.. You might not know what to do in one kind of situation and that's ok.
Old 16th June 2020, 20:00

Old 16th June 2020, 20:01

I decided to delete the two response posts because I'm too negative and I want to stop this