SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 29th July 2020, 10:43

Mood
Mellow

Default Sleep remedies for the stress prone

I feel like I have literally tried every herbal remedy to try and help with my quality of sleep but none are working. I suffer quite bad from anxiety disorder and stress, so even if I do fall asleep quite quickly I can wake up multiple times during the night in a pure panic and find it really hard to fall asleep again. Due to this, I'm really struggling to focus during work or keep motivated in general. I just don't feel very happy at all in general for the last few months.

I live with my partner and his brother who work night shift, so they are awake when I am supposed to be sleeping and visa via. So I feel like we all need to tip toe around each other because either I can't sleep or they cant sleep....AND I'm working from home and need to be silent while they sleep - even though I have to sometimes take calls, etc.

Also because I'm extremely light and sound sensitive, his brothers pet that usually keeps scratching things during the night wakes me up really easily (but I'm not allowed to complain about that because I sound like a heartless witch whenever I do ). Like it is making me actually HATE living with other people, I wish I could actually like move out temporarily but I have my work desk, computer etc set up in the living room. I honestly cannot even talk to my partner about it all because 'All I do is moan' apparently, which has gotten me really upset Also HE gets woken up too, but doesn't have a breakdown over it....

I had issues with sleep prior to all this working from home, but I actually hate when I do need to go into the office to work as I am usually so tired I struggle to even leave my home in time to get the bus, never mind have the energy to complete a full shift.

Maybe a good nights sleep won't resolve everything but at least I'd be able to handle my stress better if I didn't feel like an actual zombie everyday. I've got a GP appointment next week as I need to also get diagnosed for the migraines I have been suffering from too. I don't know if they'll offer me anything to sleep though as I heard they can be addictive.

Anyone able to suggest anything? Valerian, Nytol, aromatherapy and herbal teas don't work on me i'm afraid.
Old 29th July 2020, 12:20

Default Re: Sleep remedies for the stress prone

The only other over-the-counter remedy is Sominex, which contains the first generation anti-histamine Promethazine. It works the same as Nytol, but with a slightly longer half-life. I find it a little more reliable than Nytol if I use it sparingly, like once a week or so. It's available at Boots.

I also usually put on a boring podcast at a low volume on my phone. The drone of the voices helps distract my thoughts from worrying.

Have you thought about wearing ear plugs or leaving a fan running to mask any noises?

Your situation sounds very tricky, and really they sound a little selfish by being unwilling to make accommodations for what is to you a serious problem. The only long term solution sounds like different living arrangements, as this is not sustainable for you.

I am a chronic insomnia sufferer too btw.
Old 29th July 2020, 22:21

Mood
Tired

Default Re: Sleep remedies for the stress prone

Sometimes I find that what I eat can send me off to sleep,
Usually it's salad that does it, or roast potatoes,
Orange juice tends to knock me out too,

To be fair, I usually make quite a rich salad with olives, lemon juice, olive oil, cashews, red onion, cherry tomatoes, red pepper, honey and mustard,..I think it's maybe so rich it overwhelms my digestive system and this in turn just knocks me out,..

The whole thing with living with people who are working night shift probably has a lot to do with your body clock maybe being out of sync?
It only really works if you have clear boundaries & respect for living arrangements etc.
Most couples in this situation tend to have separate bedrooms,..although I only know of 3 people who have been in this situation admittedly.